The true test of UFC/Dana promoting skills: Stipe vs Ngannou

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
In Prize Fighting a promoters job/responsibility is to promote a fight to the best of their ability.
UFC succeeds incredibly a lot, but fails as well.

They have a test in front of them in Stipe vs Ngannou.
Neither is a big name, but they have one of the more interesting HW fights since Brock/Cain

If they get to the casuals, they might have interest to make it a fight that can main event & do over 350k in buys (what seems to be the "non-star" hi-level)

Step up Dana & give this fight the hype it deserves.
Casuals can get into this if done correctly.
Not Conor level, but better than most cards.

Stipe is already ducking tho....

Seriously.... holding back from fighting in order to re-arrange his contract situation may have cost him his life. Worst decision ever. He will sleep.

Put some warriors from tonights card on it too. Makes sense from s scheduling aspect.

Shoot for 600k

In Prize Fighting a promoters job/responsibility is to promote a fight to the best of their ability.
UFC succeeds incredibly a lot, but fails as well.

They have a test in front of them in Stipe vs Ngannou.
Neither is a big name, but they have one of the more interesting HW fights since Brock/Cain

If they get to the casuals, they might have interest to make it a fight that can main event & do over 350k in buys (what seems to be the "non-star" hi-level)

Step up Dana & give this fight the hype it deserves.
Casuals can get into this if done correctly.
Not Conor level, but better than most cards.
There’s a video library with a HL reel of Stipe KOs. It shouldn’t be that hard to promote this fight accross the board.

I think Ngannou should fight another top HW, or two, though.

I have a feeling this KO tonight from Francis is going to be on ESPN and going to get his name out there quite a bit more.

Maybe make it co-main on GSP's next fight?

Not sure what you are going for there ;)
After ufc 217 i thought ufc could build momentum and I like the direction its going. It was a magical night that 217 and tonight delievered. Also a good thought provoking thread. Build stars besides conor and gsp.

Have Nunes main eventing and it'll do 1+ million, she brings the lgbtqrv community.

There’s a video library with a HL reel of Stipe KOs. It shouldn’t be that hard to promote this fight accross the board.

That, plus they need to use WME's clout & get press on it
Neither is a great talker so its tough, but Stipe's whole 'Blue Collar Fireman by day" thing is very marketable

Dana said Francis is gonna be a star so I think this will get a lot of marketing.

Gtfo, this card prolly did around 500. Ngannou doesn’t need any further promotion, he’s already the scariest person in earth

Stipe is already ducking tho....

Seriously.... holding back from fighting in order to re-arrange his contract situation may have cost him his life. Worst decision ever. He will sleep.

There wasn't exactly a consensus contender for him to fight. It sounded to me like the UFC didn't even try to talk about another match, let alone talk about contract renegotiation, until very recently. Unless you count the "looking into Jones vs Miocic for UFC 218" bit...which for obvious reasons wouldn't have happened anyway.

So if it was destined that his next bout would be with the fighter with the next extremely impressive high level finish, and it was destined that would be Ngannou...turns out to be a damn good decision to wring as much money out of it as possible, while he still can.

After ufc 217 i thought ufc could build momentum and I like the direction its going. It was a magical night that 217 and tonight delievered. Also a good thought provoking thread. Build stars besides conor and gsp.

Gotcha & thanks man
I wasn't sure if you were sarcastic (or not) lol

Casuals like big personalities or big heavyweights.
They can make this bigger than both their draws currently are.

I hope they do

Dana and WME are going to obviously fuck this up. Plain and simple, Dana has reverted to what he knows best, which is being boxing promoter. Hes from the boxing world and he doesn't know how to get a sports organization over; just a few individuals. The sport of MMA in the United States and Europe are at their current levels of popularity simply because MMA is an extremely exciting, interesting, and compelling sports spectacle. All the UFC had to do to get it to this point was get the product on television and let it print money. The idea that the sport had a "genius promoter" behind it, or that it even needed one in the first place, is simply nonsense revisionist history by the UFC and their cheerleaders like Dave Meltzer. We all know it doesn't take much to sell this sport. If Bellator or some other organization had the financial backing to steal a division from the UFC, they would also be printing money; which is exactly what happened during the Pride days when they out spent UFC in LHW and HW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back