The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess, like Rich Evans, I don't know who it's for, as a ST fan.
It's not quite ST, not really the same hopeful vision for the future.

I've seen up to episode 4 so far, though trying to fit it in between marking, funding applications and classwork is proving all but impossible.

So far I'm not a big fan of the look of the new Klingons, the lack of incidental episodes (which could change), or Michael herself... But I am enjoying the show. I'm not sure it feels like Star Trek at this point, but it is a pleasant break from other things. I do really wish they hadn't made it a prequel though.

Hopefully it follows an improvement trajectory like the Star Treks of the past. I'll keep watching either way and really, it's not bad.

I've seen up to episode 4 so far, though trying to fit it in between marking, funding applications and classwork is proving all but impossible.

So far I'm not a big fan of the look of the new Klingons, the lack of incidental episodes (which could change), or Michael herself... But I am enjoying the show. I'm not sure it feels like Star Trek at this point, but it is a pleasant break from other things. I do really wish they hadn't made it a prequel though.

Hopefully it follows an improvement trajectory like the Star Treks of the past. I'll keep watching either way and really, it's not bad.
I think it's pretty good, just as long as I don't think of it as ST.

It's nu-star trek, bombastic, spock-beating-the-shit-out-of-people-while-screaming kind of nonsense. With a bunch of hot topic bs thrown in for good measure.

Hard pass from me on this one, when a turd with dick jokes from Seth Mcfarlane of all people is closer in spirit to ST than this, I don't even know anymore.

It's nu-star trek, bombastic, spock-beating-the-shit-out-of-people-while-screaming kind of nonsense. With a bunch of hot topic bs thrown in for good measure.

Hard pass from me on this one, when a turd with dick jokes from Seth Mcfarlane of all people is closer in spirit to ST than this, I don't even know anymore.
I guess I may just have to accept that ST has stopped being about a hopeful future. SHOUTING IS DRAMA!!

After seeing more of Vice-admiral Cornwell, I'm starting to doubt my earlier hypothesis that the USS Discovery is a Section 31 project. She's the one directly overseeing the project and she seems too decent a person to be Section 31.

At least it is consistent with their characterization on TOS. The Klingons Kirk had to deal with were almost exclusively sneaky underhanded bastards.

If I remember correctly, Kang was the only one of the OG Klingons that behaved similarly to the way later Klingons were portrayed as. Kor and Koloth were sneaky and not very honorable. They were incredibly smarmy too.

The Klingon behavior kinda stuck out for me too. I was thinking about it and it guessing that since this is the prequel era, the albino dude is going to start some sort of revolution or what have you that sends the klingons down the "honorable warrior" path.

After seeing more of Vice-admiral Cornwell, I'm starting to doubt my earlier hypothesis that the USS Discovery is a Section 31 project. She's the one directly overseeing the project and she seems too decent a person to be Section 31.

At least it is consistent with their characterization on TOS. The Klingons Kirk had to deal with were almost exclusively sneaky underhanded bastards.

If I remember correctly, Kang was the only one of the OG Klingons that behaved similarly to the way later Klingons were portrayed as. Kor and Koloth were sneaky and not very honorable. They were incredibly smarmy too.

TOS Klingons were total shits. But that’s because they were originally based upon the Soviet Union. Many episodes in TOS had the Federation and the Klingons competing over forging alliances with less advanced civilizations, or having little proxy wars, such as the episodes Friday’s Child or Private Little War.

15434852_star-trek-red-shirts-werent-statistically_tf1bd18e6.gif

The Klingons and Federation were clearly in their own little “Cold War”.

It wasn’t until Star Trek III that you ever heard a Klingon mention the word “honour”. Then the cultural influence behind the portrayal of Klingons changed to vikings/samurai with TNG which they kept for about 30 years.

TOS Klingons were total shits. But that’s because they were originally based upon the Soviet Union. Many episodes in TOS had the Federation and the Klingons competing over forging alliances with less advanced civilizations, or having little proxy wars, such as the episodes Friday’s Child or Private Little War.

15434852_star-trek-red-shirts-werent-statistically_tf1bd18e6.gif

The Klingons and Federation were clearly in their own little “Cold War”.

It wasn’t until Star Trek III that you ever heard a Klingon mention the word “honour”. Then the cultural influence behind the portrayal of Klingons changed to vikings/samurai with TNG which they kept for about 30 years.

I am pretty sure the Klingons from TOS were originally intended to emulate the WWII era Japanese, and the TNG era Klingons were intended to emulate the feudal era Japanese (the "Samurai" like you said).

My new theory: Lorca is actually from the mirror universe, and was brought into prime time and placed on the Discovery, by section 31. Real Lorca died with his crew when he self destructed his ship. They made up up him escaping and killing his crew. The Spore drive somehow can connect or tear into the mirror universe.

The great bird of the galaxy, Gene Roddenberry, passed away 26 years ago today.

Died of a massive heart attack while walking out of his doctors office. Ricker Berman gathered the TNG cast and crew together on the bridge while filming and announced he had died unexpectedly. He then asked the team to continue working in Gene's memory, when Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes said, to hell with that, and led everyone to a local bar to give Gene a proper send off.

watched episode 5 yesterday

series started out good (if we ignore the whole way starfleet vs klingons war started - really weak and rushed) with some interesting concepts but several things annoy me:

- lorca is a whiny bitch and his receding head penises are useless
- michael seems like she is either pregnant or constantly on her period considering the ups and downs she is going through (rage, sadness, compassion, logic, stupidity, loud noises)
- klingons are a bunch of weak pussies that cant handle petty humans in a fist fight - seeing a bunch of klingons die by the hands of captured humans is pathetic (yeah, like a human is going to choke out a bigger species that only knows war)
- gay romance - really? its like watching sex and the city when those 2 interact - previous star trek series had their cheesy moments (especially DS9 with its stupid relationships) and this is equally as cringy (I'd say even more considering the serious tone they are trying to push with this new star trek)
- isnt this series in the past (plot picks up after enterprise ? ) - how come they can teleport inside the ship, they can jump anywhere in the known space using that new drive and some other stuff
- ships have shields but there is no visual representation of them - when they get attacked you immediately see hull damage
- why the fuck arent vulkans more in this show (its like they give 0 fucks about what start fleet does)
- klingons speaking in their native language is fucking annoying - its like trying to listen to a mentally disabled person trying to cope with mandarin (doesnt help that english subtitles are too fast and you dont even have time to read even half of the subtitles)

this series has potential but I dont see them succeeding unless they change some things

until then, the exapnse is better

They're doing a lot of things right with this show, but there is just something lacking. And I think that may be a strong supporting cast. I don't give a shit about any of the secondary or tertiary characters. Maybe there hasn't been enough time for me to do so. But they just seem too plain.

However, I never liked the first season of any Star Trek, especially DS9 which is my favorite, until the show had time to develop the characters and I was able to go back and watch the first season in context. So I'm going to keep watching to see if it comes together later. But it just seems to be missing the Star Trek charm that most of the others had. And for some reason they elected to gear the little bit of humor they have toward millenials, which becomes apparent every time Burnham's roommate is on the screen.

Did Mel Gibson invent the teleportation machine?

The next episode appears to be an hommage to
Cause and Effect (TNG)
. The trailer has awesomeness written all over it. Looking forward to that one.

Another good episode. That was classic sci fi. Almost like a modern take on cause and effect, but with a psychotic Mudd.

Still haven't watched the new series yet.
As a huge Trek fan, I need the correct moment.
I wonder how it is. Will watch soon.

I have STD fever.

I fucking love this show and it gave me AIDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back