The S-Mount Armbar

Good stuff. It came up in my YouTube feed yesterday. Reminds me of the Shawn Williams armbar. I love this one

What do you do with a person who is sliding to the side, trying to keep their elbow anchored? So in your situation, you are using your hips and chest to move their right arm across. I have a couple of strong blue / purple belts who when I try a similar move, slide their whole body to the side along with the arm to help maintain their alignment. I see you covering the head- might that help?

thanks-

What do you do with a person who is sliding to the side, trying to keep their elbow anchored? So in your situation, you are using your hips and chest to move their right arm across. I have a couple of strong blue / purple belts who when I try a similar move, slide their whole body to the side along with the arm to help maintain their alignment. I see you covering the head- might that help?

thanks-

Yes pick up their head like in the video, but you can do it from the beginning

One particular rolling partner who I can consistently mount, when i'm moving to attack S mount, is able explosively turn and essentially slam his elbow (on my knee side, not the s side) to the ground, even when I get my hamstring deep under the far armpit. I know this is resulting from a technical error on my part, but i'm not sure what.

One particular rolling partner who I can consistently mount, when i'm moving to attack S mount, is able explosively turn and essentially slam his elbow (on my knee side, not the s side) to the ground, even when I get my hamstring deep under the far armpit. I know this is resulting from a technical error on my part, but i'm not sure what.

either you need work on that squeeze, or you're not high enough, probably

This is a tough one. It's a high-percentage "escape" if their timing and awareness are on point. By definition, you can't be totally solid on that leg while you're sliding it up. It's pretty much a "don't let them do that" situation.

also dont thnk about putting your hamstring in his armpit, get it up on his tricep nearer his elbow

thanks-

Personally, I prefer a different method of establishing the s-mount and controlling the head.

1. Exposing the arm
a. Nogi
I'll get the crook of my left elbow under his right elbow and "spider walk" my hand towards his head, exposing his armpit. As his right arm raises up, I'll try to connect my hands together with his arm trapped between mine, similar to an arm triangle. I'll then drop my weight over his elbow to buy me enough time to replace the exposed armpit space with my knee.

If he is mummied up with his defense (i.e. really tighty) you can get your left shoulder under the crook of his right elbow and connect your hands around his neck, once again similar to an arm triangle. Use your legs to help drive your shoulder to once again expose his armpit and replace the open space by sliding your knee up.

b. Gi
This is move is just all around easier in the gi because of the friction and potential threats. Exposing the armpit is as easy as sticking your right hand in the collar. He will 90% of the time bring his hand up to defend it, exposing his elbow for you.

I'm not sure why IJJ isolates the arm the way he does (i.e. without the hand in the collar) - perhaps to prevent the trap and roll? Personally I prefer to have the threat of the of the choke.

2. Guy Slides up
From this point, the guy can still slide up. I like to put my hand right hand right above the far side clavicle and drop my weight onto this hand to impede his movement. IJJ likes to grab the head, which I think might be superior.

I think the more important detail, however, is to immediately start trying to hug the far side elbow tightly.

3. Guy hides arm
IJJ makes it look easy to fish out the arm if the uke hides it. I usually have a harder time. One solution that I find works really well for me is simply switching my entire body to go for the opposite side armbar. Make sure you turn that corner as tight as possible and never take your weight off the uke. You're like a stripper working around a pole (his arms). If he hides it again, switch again. The arm hiding can be preempted by being good about collecting his far side elbow as soon as you are high enough. Sometimes he may even give you the angle for the straight armlock.

Tangent
While the S mount is a really strong position, like another poster suggested, it can be difficult to counter the uke's attempt to square back up with you. As a result, lately if I find myself in a position to S-mount, I'll instead triangle my legs around both of his straightened arms just below the elbows - it's sort of a checkmate position. It seems very difficult to escape and you have a very easy arm bar when you decide you want it.

My old instructor would often refer to the mount as a lost art. I would generally agree and I think it's for good reason - it seems to lose a lot of it's efficacy without the threat of strikes. The S-mount might be the best part about mount.

If I'm imagining this correctly, you have options if you make this mistake. If he gets to his side and under hooks around your waist, you can get a triangle or monoplata. If he turns into you and hides his arms, you can dig into the far arm for a barataplata.

To fix the issue of them turning into you, you can grab their biceps sleeve to prevent them from turning or get a deep armdrag hook.

Personally, I like to scoop up their head and shoulder up onto my knee, S my leg under their opposite shoulder and lean my weight onto them to create a kesa type chest compression. Very tight control. I finish my armbar the same way as the video though.

Back