The most important matches in MMA history

Which one is the biggest of them all???

• Total voters
This list is so random. Why is Silva vs Chael on here?

If we are just saying what makes the UFC important, than Chuck Liddell's fights were important to keeping the UFC relevant.

This list is so random. Why is Silva vs Chael on here?

If we are just saying what makes the UFC important, than Chuck Liddell's fights were important to keeping the UFC relevant.
Because what I choose is best

Had GSP vs Silva prime for prime happened it would have been the biggest.

Fedor vs mirko had the most hype and merit

Conor vs Khabib made Khabib a cash cow

Bonnar vs griffin as sloppy as it was brought in the viewership

Tito vs Ken and saku vs Royce had a great build up but those results and mismatches were obvious

Reactions: HHJ
Conor vs Aldo. Changed the MMA landscape forever, also was the kickstart to Floyd-Conor and the influencer-boxing scene as a whole. Doubt we'd have seen Jake Paul KO all these MMA legends without Conor paving the way.

Nurmy/Conman even coming close to the amount of votes Bonnar vs Griffin has is fucking absurd

Casuals be running amok

Who you got??

GSP vs Hughes 2 was a true passing of the torch not just for that fight but opening the flood gates for the new breed of fighter ushering out the old breed. It was the beginning of a whole new Era. imho

Griffin Bonnar put MMA on the map. Definitely changed the course of the sport.

UFC even tends to say Griffin vs Bonnar was the most important in terms of the company's current success. If we're only looking at UFC, almost has to be that one.

Expanding outside, Fedor vs CroCop is a good option.

Fedor / Crocop was the first one that came to mind for me

Seeing the Pride nerds vote for a fight 90% of fans have never seen and that never impacted MMA at all will never not be funny.

It was so important that the very next year Pride lost its network deals and was forced to sell to the UFC.

Last edited:
Forrest vs Bonnar was two, regional level bums, bar brawling on Spike TV. It was an example how low the standard was on the American MMA scene was at the time and how low the expectations were from UFC fans and casuals in America. UFC was literally the Bellator of MMA at that time and Forrest-Bonnar was the most important fight they could muster.

Meanwhile in Japan you had Shogun, Fedor, Rampage, Wand and many others fighting on a skill level similar to that of today and even higher in some regards. Dana is lucky in the sense that he was strongly against the idea of TUF and instead wanted to film a realty show about his life in Nevada. Fertitas pulled the trigger on TUF and the rest was history.

While I agree the Forrest-Bonnar fight important it's also sad how shitty the UFC was around that time as a product.
You do realize Forrest beat Shogun and Rampage right?

GSP vs Hughes 2 was a true passing of the torch not just for that fight but opening the flood gates for the new breed of fighter ushering out the old breed. It was the beginning of a whole new Era. imho
???

GSP started MMA 8 months after BJ. He's only 3 years younger.

And BJ entered into MMA as the first ever American BJJ BB to win Worlds. He'd earned it in under 3 years, thought to be the fastest ever legitimate BB. GSP's background was Quebecois McDojo karate.

Are you really still this salty after all these years?

The biggest (as in watched by most people):
Conor vs Khabib

The most important (as in making UFC and mma more casual):
Forrest vs Stephen

The best (as in the biggest and baddest guys in their prime fighting):
Fedor vs Mirko

Reactions: HHJ
the title says most important... the poll says biggest...
those are two different things and not the same answer...

Tough titty

ultra actually pointed out an important error with your post, and instead of fixing the error that was your response. I think that is a bad attitude and approach.

ultra actually pointed out an important error with your post, and instead of fixing the error that was your response. I think that is a bad attitude and approach.
I did point out later on that my viewpoint is best.

???

GSP started MMA 8 months after BJ. He's only 3 years younger.

And BJ entered into MMA as the first ever American BJJ BB to win Worlds. He'd earned it in under 3 years, thought to be the fastest ever legitimate BB. GSP's background was Quebecois McDojo karate.

Are you really still this salty after all these years?
GSP beat BJ's ass so bad in that second one goddamn. He did t even know where he was.

Conor vs Aldo changed MMA as we knew it. Really catapulted it into the mainstream.

Conor vs Nate 1-2 was the pinnacle of the UFC's popularity (with the khabib fight being a close tie).

Back