The Leg Trap - ForRealFightMoves Instructional

EddieLovesYou

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, here's our first striking-focused instructional. Currently the other videos on our channel are grappling-focused, but we'll be uploading lots more covering all facets of combat sports. Give us a like and subscribe if you find it useful!

Seems overly complicated and risky (for pure standup, anyway).

In MT, we'll draw a check with probing low kicks, just to throw a hard one under the check and take out the back leg.

Can see this being useful maybe in MMA, but not against a hard and fast low kicker.

I mean...you literally have to time jumping over an incoming low kick.

Thanks for checking out the video! I've had a lot of success with this in sparring and competition, keep at it!

Question: what keeps the other guy from dropping his weight onto the front leg to get it back on the ground and step into you to clinch and/or do his work?

Question: what keeps the other guy from dropping his weight onto the front leg to get it back on the ground and step into you to clinch and/or do his work?

Strong leg curl with your rear leg. Keep in mind that you'll have only a small window of control, and if you're doing this you're likely inviting the clinch. I wouldn't do this if I were trying to stay on the outside.

Thanks for checking out the video!

I'm gonna agree with Paradigm... There is no way you can pull this thing in a stand up match, except if the difference between the two athletes is huge...
You must literally jump over the leg... First of all, that will not happen... You will get caught and you will fall down. But even if you manage to do it, the kick will still do damage to your second leg... and probably will still drop you. He wont stop the momentum of the kick for you just in the middle...
And i don't want to think what will happen if its a feint and catches you with a punch while you hope like that...

If it works for you good, but sorry man, i highly doubt it, and would like to see a video of you pulling it off in an actual fight...
And honestly i find it dangerous to try to teach stuff like that to people...

I'm gonna agree with Paradigm... There is no way you can pull this thing in a stand up match, except if the difference between the two athletes is huge...
You must literally jump over the leg... First of all, that will not happen... You will get caught and you will fall down. But even if you manage to do it, the kick will still do damage to your second leg... and probably will still drop you. He wont stop the momentum of the kick for you just in the middle...
And i don't want to think what will happen if its a feint and catches you with a punch while you hope like that...

If it works for you good, but sorry man, i highly doubt it, and would like to see a video of you pulling it off in an actual fight...
And honestly i find it dangerous to try to teach stuff like that to people...

You should have seen the stuff Lerdsila was showing us in class. I always thought to myself, "these fat fucks aren't going to be able to do this jumping low kick, much less myself."

Speaking of which...I think I've seen either him, Saenchai or some other Thai (lol) jump over the cut kick going under his check with his back leg after the kick cleared the uplifted front one.

Again...not something you'd teach to beginners or mediocre fighters. Or someone with average to above average athletic ability...

@Paradigm

I've seen it too... But it's something totally different... It's not jumping above a low kick to the thigh. It's like you said, it's for a cut kick to the back leg. Even in OP's demo, the guy who kicks not only does it in slow mo, but he is targeting the calf.
And i don't really think you train that... even as an experienced fighter. You may have fun with it in sparing session, and you may pull it off as a reflex in a fight if you're gifted... But i don't think people spend time at the gym training that...

Anyway, if you ever find that video, share it please, would really like to see it again.

I agree that it seems far too complicated for general use. Maybe with a huge skill difference? If the kicker is throwing with force, I don't see how the rear leg curl is enough to offset the momentum of the kick. Especially since it's going to the unsupported side of your body.

Without any intent of disrespect, it reminds me of those karate moves where the opponent has to be acting in a very specific way and then you can unload these types of technique.

I'm also curious how much power you can generate for your counter strikes from the one legged position?

I don't want to seem like I'm dismissing but it just seems a little unrealistic. Although I used to catch a basketball that way, dribble and catch the ball in the bent rear leg so there is that. I guess I'd like to see it in action and not just a technique video.

Seems overly complicated and risky (for pure standup, anyway).

In MT, we'll draw a check with probing low kicks, just to throw a hard one under the check and take out the back leg.

Can see this being useful maybe in MMA, but not against a hard and fast low kicker.

I mean...you literally have to time jumping over an incoming low kick.

Here's a good video showing what Paradigm is talking about. Start at 8:40

Hey guys, here's our first striking-focused instructional. Currently the other videos on our channel are grappling-focused, but we'll be uploading lots more covering all facets of combat sports. Give us a like and subscribe if you find it useful!

Interesting move. I'm not gonna talk shit about it because I remember when I was 14 there was plenty of stuff someone could have told me worked in a fight, and I wouldn't have believed it did.

Gonna try it out in sparring, but purely from a visual stand point, the thing I don't like about this move, is that you're gonna eat a leg kick to the inside of your leg no matter what you do.

And the whole premise seems based on light sparring instead of a fight

Interesting move. I'm not gonna talk shit about it because I remember when I was 14 there was plenty of stuff someone could have told me worked in a fight, and I wouldn't have believed it did.

Gonna try it out in sparring, but purely from a visual stand point, the thing I don't like about this move, is that you're gonna eat a leg kick to the inside of your leg no matter what you do.

And the whole premise seems based on light sparring instead of a fight

And also in an MMA context versus a weak kicker...if you're a strong kicker in an MT rules type ruleset (or even MMA ruleset), what would prevent some guy from just cut kicking the leg out from underneath you with a hard kick? Dude in the gif was planted...in the technique shown in the OP, he'd be hopping in the air possibly when the kick lands on his back leg (making him easier to sweep/off balance).

tumblr_o6wghaGUIx1up8ga8o1_500.gif

Furthermore, the checking technique shown at 0:24 is poor form...with a kick that low, you can just pivot your lead leg outside and still check the kick. By raising his leg to check, he's actually taking the kick at the weakest point on his shin (right above the ankle).

You should be checking with the thick part right below the knee and impacting the kicker's foot/ankle/lower shin for maximum damage/pain.

Not that I train MMA, but it seems like it would just be easier to step back with the lead leg to make him miss and then just rush in and take him down off a missed kick.

Imagine the leg pullback here, but then rushing in for a TD instead:

saiyok-leg-retreat-counter-to-kicks.gif

Sorry but this feels like one of those crazy kung fu mumbo jumbo. Looks cool in slow motion but doesn't really work in live combat. Have you tried it in sparring? I would like to see this in live action real speed. Cuz like Paradigm said, I think a strong kicker will just knock off balance.

And also in an MMA context versus a weak kicker...if you're a strong kicker in an MT rules type ruleset (or even MMA ruleset), what would prevent some guy from just cut kicking the leg out from underneath you with a hard kick? Dude in the gif was planted...in the technique shown in the OP, he'd be hopping in the air possibly when the kick lands on his back leg (making him easier to sweep/off balance).

tumblr_o6wghaGUIx1up8ga8o1_500.gif

Furthermore, the checking technique shown at 0:24 is poor form...with a kick that low, you can just pivot your lead leg outside and still check the kick. By raising his leg to check, he's actually taking the kick at the weakest point on his shin (right above the ankle).

You should be checking with the thick part right below the knee and impacting the kicker's foot/ankle/lower shin for maximum damage/pain.

Not that I train MMA, but it seems like it would just be easier to step back with the lead leg to make him miss and then just rush in and take him down off a missed kick.

Imagine the leg pullback here, but then rushing in for a TD instead:

saiyok-leg-retreat-counter-to-kicks.gif

I was thinking the same thing about the checking form.

Also, I actually kind of hate to post this because I feel like I'm giving up a secret, but by FAR the easiest possible way to get a takedown in MMA is to counter a low kick with a knee tap:

GSP did it to fucking everybody, but nobody picked up on it. I use that move all the time to take down better wrestlers. It's so stupidly simple and effective it feels like cheating. A lot of guys will do this every once in awhile, but it's literally my go-to low kick counter. I get to punch you in the face while you're on one leg AND take you down at the same time. It's ridiculous how few people are aware of this.

@a guy
Fedor did it too, if i am not mistaken.
Just watch out for the feint to a hook, knee, or a high kick... Since you lower your self quite a bit, and drop your hand, it may be dangerous.

@a guy
Just watch out for the feint to a hook, knee, or a high kick... Since you lower your self quite a bit, and drop your hand, it may be dangerous.

Noted.

One of the great things about this technique though is that I can use it after the kick lands. I don't even have to see it, I just have to feel it hit my leg then boom I'm going.

Try to "step" into the kick, and turn your knee outwards, don't leave your leg extended straight down. Not only it absorbs the power, you can do some damage with the knee if he aims lower. But also, with the thighs bent, his leg may "ride" up to your hip making it easier to grab.
If you don't, not only you will accumulate damage, but it may throw you of balance, making your take down attempts a lot harder.

Zambidis made a career buy absorbing low kicks that way, while he was countering with punches.

Try to "step" into the kick, and turn your knee outwards, don't leave your leg extended straight down. Not only it absorbs the power, you can do some damage with the knee if he aims lower. But also, with the thighs bent, his leg may "ride" up to your hip making it easier to grab.
If you don't, not only you will accumulate damage, but it may throw you of balance, making your take down attempts a lot harder.

Zambidis made a career buy absorbing low kicks that way, while he was countering with punches.

Yea that's how I do it.

@a guy

Noted.

One of the great things about this technique though is that I can use it after the kick lands. I don't even have to see it, I just have to feel it hit my leg then boom I'm going.

I have a bad habit (in MT) of reaching for low kicks with my lead hand to catch them...recently someone has been making me pay with question mark kicks so be wary. Not as big of an issue if you throw the rear hand at the same time but still.

Cung used to let the kicks ride up the thigh like you described. Horrible low kick form by Rich but here's an example of what you meant, I think:

cung-le-ko-rich-franklin.gif

I have a bad habit (in MT) of reaching for low kicks with my lead hand to catch them...recently someone has been making me pay with question mark kicks so be wary. Not as big of an issue if you throw the rear hand at the same time but still.

Cung used to let the kicks ride up the thigh like you described. Horrible low kick form by Rich but here's an example of what you meant, I think:

cung-le-ko-rich-franklin.gif

I know it can be a threat, but it's incredibly hard to question mark kick someone who's smothering the kick and shooting on you. Plus, you have to keep in mind that if I hit this, you don't get a chance to throw your question mark kick unless you find a way back to your feet.

Back