The Leftovers - HBO series

JAEGERX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So i just catched up to the latest episode in season 3, but guess what, its overrated shit, i gave it a big chance but the dialogue is so bad, the characters are presented to be so allegedly deep and intriguing, so is the main plot is all about mysteries but its not

Its about the "rapture", where some people get teleported and some dont, good bad and innocent, then nobody knows anything and the characters are all stupid morons unable to maintain an adult conversation, it sucks pretty bad, it goes nowhere.

and basically im guessing the script has *blank stare* for all the characters, im really sorry for the actors stuck is this shit

I got into it because I had a weird crush on Nora Durst. I don't know why. I think she reminds me of a girl I dated.

The best part of the show is that they were able to throw all kinds of weird shit in episodes and it mostly worked.

The last couple of episodes got way too super natural. They always had some super natural stuff but some of it you didn't know if the characters were just hoping super natural stuff was true or the characters were crazy.

I got into it because I had a weird crush on Nora Durst. I don't know why. I think she reminds me of a girl I dated.

The best part of the show is that they were able to throw all kinds of weird shit in episodes and it mostly worked.

The last couple of episodes got way too super natural. They always had some super natural stuff but some of it you didn't know if the characters were just hoping super natural stuff was true or the characters were crazy.
Totally disagree on the last few episodes, I thought the entire final season was spectacular tbh. It doesn't feel like you really got the show if you think they were potentially "just crazy". This interview with Lindelof potentially touches on some of the remianing questions you might have though.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-lef...ux-interview-carrie-coon-lost-hbo-1202106418/

The only "savior" for this show would be to find out it was some space-time rift or other cosmic phenomenon that caused the disappearance.. Or some experiment gone wrong.

This should have been a 7 episode miniseries with a cool twist ending. These never ending mystery shows where they just make up weird shit every week need to be DONE.. Totally done. I watched the first season and some of second.. it had potential bit never reached it. Maybe some decent individual actors, but no real stand outs.

Another thread here http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-leftovers-season-3.3525971/

Thoughts:

I enjoyed the finale. Nora's tale is a bit ambiguous, left open for the viewer to decide whether she really went through or not.

After I first watched it, I believed her. But then as I thought more about it, I think there's one specific reason why it might not be true. This episode is filled with foreshadowing, and earlier on, when Nora is yelling at the nun over her doves, the nun ends up telling her "I'm not trying to sell you anything. It's just a better story"

This is what I started to think about after watching the episode. Maybe she didn't really go through with it, maybe she didn't see her family or decide to come back. Maybe she backed out at the last moment, and feeling so ashamed, alone and afraid (and proud, because she's always been prideful and stubborn), she decided to stay in Australia, isolating herself from her friends and past. She talks to Laurie every now and then to feel connected, but mostly for therapeutic reasons. Maybe she just told an alternate version to Kevin because, "It's just a better story."

Or maybe she actually went through and everything she said, really happened. Which I wouldn't mind, except for the part about her finding the original inventor of the machine, and having him build another one. Out of everything she said, for some reason that seems the most far fetched.

There are still some unanswered questions, like

what was up with the dogs in the first season? How does a dog get stuck inside of a mail box? What was with Dean and his whole schtick? I know he apparently just went crazy towards the end, but he seemed more lucid in the first season.

The Guilty Remnant was just a crazy cult it appears. Which kind of takes the fun out of their plot line. Just a bunch of crazy mute people, wearing white and chain smoking for no actual reason, and no mention of them in the third season besides the drone strike.

I'm guessing Kevin really isn't immortal, assuming his heart attack was real. And that opens up even more questions, like how he kept going back and forth between realities or "life and afterlife", how he was able to be poisoned, shot, buried alive, and drowned, all to just come back like nothing happened. It's confusing.

Of course, Lindelof is known for his ambiguous storytelling and unanswered questions. Atleast there was more closure in The Leftovers than, say, Lost. I was hoping he wouldn't make that mistake again.

I made it to about the 4th episode.

Once you realized there wasn't going to be any payoff on the one interesting question the plot posed, you have up? Yep.. me too. Right around the 4th or 5th. Went back later and tried some more; same problem.

Another thread here http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-leftovers-season-3.3525971/

Thoughts:

I enjoyed the finale. Nora's tale is a bit ambiguous, left open for the viewer to decide whether she really went through or not.

After I first watched it, I believed her. But then as I thought more about it, I think there's one specific reason why it might not be true. This episode is filled with foreshadowing, and earlier on, when Nora is yelling at the nun over her doves, the nun ends up telling her "I'm not trying to sell you anything. It's just a better story"

This is what I started to think about after watching the episode. Maybe she didn't really go through with it, maybe she didn't see her family or decide to come back. Maybe she backed out at the last moment, and feeling so ashamed, alone and afraid (and proud, because she's always been prideful and stubborn), she decided to stay in Australia, isolating herself from her friends and past. She talks to Laurie every now and then to feel connected, but mostly for therapeutic reasons. Maybe she just told an alternate version to Kevin because, "It's just a better story."

Or maybe she actually went through and everything she said, really happened. Which I wouldn't mind, except for the part about her finding the original inventor of the machine, and having him build another one. Out of everything she said, for some reason that seems the most far fetched.

There are still some unanswered questions, like

what was up with the dogs in the first season? How does a dog get stuck inside of a mail box? What was with Dean and his whole schtick? I know he apparently just went crazy towards the end, but he seemed more lucid in the first season.

The Guilty Remnant was just a crazy cult it appears. Which kind of takes the fun out of their plot line. Just a bunch of crazy mute people, wearing white and chain smoking for no actual reason, and no mention of them in the third season besides the drone strike.

I'm guessing Kevin really isn't immortal, assuming his heart attack was real. And that opens up even more questions, like how he kept going back and forth between realities or "life and afterlife", how he was able to be poisoned, shot, buried alive, and drowned, all to just come back like nothing happened. It's confusing.

Of course, Lindelof is known for his ambiguous storytelling and unanswered questions. Atleast there was more closure in The Leftovers than, say, Lost. I was hoping he wouldn't make that mistake again.

So the point of that mute cult was.. Nothing? What a completely stupid fkn show. Ok I'm done.

So the point of that mute cult was.. Nothing? What a completely stupid fkn show. Ok I'm done.
Yeah, I was really aggravated after S1 and maybe a bit during S2. I had watched 15+ hours of television and still had no clue what was going on. It was kind of to be expected, seeing as how the creator of Lost also made this show. But I was still curious, and wanted to see how it ended, so I started up S3. They decided to use a way different tone, more comical, almost satire. I liked season 3 waaaaay more than the rest, because it was much more self aware. The writers started to not only answer questions, but they started to have the characters actually acknowledge and ask the right ones.

But yeah, there is still a ton of stuff left unanswered, mostly the guilty remnant and the reason for the departure, which is really annoying. I understand open ended literature and non linear art, leaving some of it for the audience to decipher for themselves - but sometimes it's so in your face that it becomes pretentious and self deprecating. "Oh, you guys just don't *get it*, it's SUPPOSED to not have any answers..." Luckily the third season kind of fixed some of this.

Overall, the series is a thinker. But the first season is not as good as the rest.

The Leftovers is one of the greatest series of all time. It hit the spot with me.

The absolute highlight of it for me was season 2. Meticulously building up Jarden / Miracle, then seeing the cracks slowly show in the psyche of its populace through their internal struggles, leading to the grand finale where everything just fell apart. It was glorious.

Back