The Jon Jones opponents were past their prime/too small for him myth

jones has always had trouble fighting guys his own size. if you look at his career, the vast majority of his wins are against guys shorter and with much shorter reaches. once he fought guys his own size, (gustafsson, st. prieux, reyes), he looked like a regular fighter.

i'm not saying he isn't a great fighter. he's one of the greatest. but do not say that his size didn't play a factor. also, he was one of the first of his generation to start fighting. he beat a lot of fighters with names who were already out of their primes.

and now, the new breed is here, as the likes of aspinall, and he doesn't want to fight him lol. he knows internally that aspinall was him when he first started, and now jones is the old guy who is seeing his own demise very soon.
His fastest win was a guy his size in Vera. He beat Vera pretty easily and pretty badly.

He had trouble with fighters who could stop his wrestling and could out strike him. Which would be most of MMA fighters in MMA but that was his actual issue. Being his size was not enough, you needed to also either have great TDD and better striking. You also had to catch him on the days he didn't really want to throw everything he had into the fight.

The fights that were close with jones he had no urgency and looked as if he was coasting. For instance, the minute he found out he was behind on Gustafsson he turned it up and went after Gus to win the fight in the later rounds. You have never really seen jones in a slugfest. It is odd becasue he has been the bigger opponent in many of those fights and could have won quite easily had he turned it into a slugfest.

Last edited:
His fastest win was a guy his size in Vera. He beat Vera pretty easily and pretty badly.

He had trouble with fighters who could stop his wrestling and could out strike him. Which would be most of MMA fighters in MMA but that was his actual issue. Being his size was not enough, you needed to also be either have great TDD and better striking. You also had to catch him on the days he didnt really want to throw everything he had into the fight. The fights that were close with jones he had no urgency and looks as if he was coasting. The minute he found out he was behind on Gustafsson he turned it up and went ham. Jones has never really went balls out in a fight, he is usually more controlled. That helps and hurts him.

sorry dude, a lot of your post sounds like excuses for jones. reyes beat him for sure. it looked like when gsp got the decision over hendricks. both jones and gsp knew they lost, but got lucky decision victories.

sorry dude, a lot of your post sounds like excuses for jones. reyes beat him for sure. it looked like when gsp got the decision over hendricks. both jones and gsp knew they lost, but got lucky decision victories.

Alot of yours sound like you haven;t really put much effort into it. I never mentioned his fight with Reyes and whether he lost or won. I never had an opinion on whether he lost or won any fight, I could careless.

His Reyes fight and GSPs hendricks fight is an opinion. As I said jones fights with very little urgency even when he is losing in the fight. GSP is different as is Khabib. Khabib will press you for five hard rounds. GSP is a tactician and fights with urgency.

As I said, jones was down on the points with Gus in the first fight, yet the moment he found out he was behind he went after Gus and took the last two rounds aggressively and also threw in a spinning elbow that almost dropped Gustafson. No idea why he did not do that for 5 rounds. Jones has always been a question of drive.

Last edited:
He has all the same attributes as Overeem did at LHW. Remember how Overeem ran roughshod over all of Pride back then? No? I didnt think so.
Jones's reach is an attiibute a lot of fighters have had but people act like he's the only one who's ever been tall and skinny with a big reach advantage.
attributes alone dont mean jack. Jones always been a good rassler so this combination (gigantic reach + great rassling) allowed him to excel. I wont count eyepokes as part of his sucess cause I dont intend to diminish his accomplishments.
thats why I mention I dont get these threads. Yeah, he had reach advantage over most ppl he fought. so? others have too and dont come close to him.

lol, the OP is terrible, even if you agree with him.

TS got me to laugh with "as for the age thing... just no"

Half of Jone's opponents could have been middleweights or were very small LHW's. as soon as he fought Gustafson who matched him in size , gus arguably beat Jones.

That is actually incorrect. You may actually need to look at his entire resume. You may have missed his rookie years and so on. He was not just fighting Shogun and Rampage all the time, he had other fighters he actually fought long before and after who were in their prime or youth.

It is an easy mistake to make if you are new to MMA and his career.
Nah they were all past their prime

Pretty sure that his last fight proved that he was a 246 lbs heavyweight all that time. He just refused to fill his frame in order to fight guys with a smaller frame.

Alot of yours sound like you haven;t really put much effort into it. I never mentioned his fight with Reyes and whether he lost or won. I never had an opinion on whether he lost or won any fight, I could careless.

His Reyes fight and GSPs hendricks fight is an opinion. As I said jones fights with very little urgency even when he is losing in the fight. GSP is different as is Khabib. Khabib will press you for five hard rounds. GSP is a tactician and fights with urgency.

As I said, jones was down on the points with Gus in the first fight, yet the moment he found out he was behind he went after Gus and took the last two rounds aggressively and also threw in a spinning elbow that almost dropped Gustafson. No idea why he did not do that for 5 rounds. Jones has always been a question of drive.

well you don't need to only look at my opinion. look at the opinions from the mma media after both fights. they both had the majority in the way i saw it.

Size wise Vitor and Sonnen were obviously MW's when they fought Jones but besides that I think a big issue is Jones arrived just as LHW was increasing in size considerably, I think theres a strong case that had they started out latter Machida and Rashad would always have been MWs.
Also there was the Anderson Silva thing or Machida would have moved down sooner. A lot of those guys couldn't cut it in the new era of LHW that Jones ushered in, they were just too small and I'm not sure how scale weights and "walk-around" weights from unknown sources disprove that, it was just objectively true. I mean Machida dropped divisions and then got size-wrecked again by Rockhold and Chris

This might be one of the worst threads ever made. To put that much effort into a shit tier thread is embarrassing.

Jake Paul 240 lbs
Mike Tyson 250 lbs

Mike Tyson started his career at heavyweight
Guys did you know Jake Paul opponents past prime/too small is a myth

The fights that were close with jones he had no urgency and looked as if he was coasting. For instance, the minute he found out he was behind on Gustafsson he turned it up and went after Gus to win the fight in the later rounds. You have never really seen jones in a slugfest. It is odd becasue he has been the bigger opponent in many of those fights and could have won quite easily had he turned it into a slugfest.
His fight with Glover was a slugfest and he was doing all the slugging, so that goes to your point but also that fight and the DC fight were almost certainly his roid-prime as well

Last edited:
This again? Ya know 2 things can be true at the same time - OJ could have been framed AND killed his Wife at the same time. Jon could be a prick and an amazing fighter at the same time as well

You literrally show proof that a lot of those fighters were old and past their prime.

I dont get these threads

YES, jones was taller and had a stupid reach compared to most ppl he fought, which tremendously helped him set up his gameplan throughout his career. That said, he was a great rassler to start of with, or such plans wouldnt have worked.

Denying his reach/size advantage is just stupid, tho.
The thing is what is he supposed to do, tone down his physical attributes????

There's nothing unfair about it, everyone is built different. There are pluses and minuses to Jones build (and everyone else's) but he learned how to compensate for that,esp w his elbows and wrestling in close

His fight with Glover was a slugfest and he was doing all the slugging, so that goes to your point but also that fight and the DC fight were almost certainly his roid-prime as well
It was a good back and forth fight and jones has had fights like that with Vera, Bonnar and so on. I do not call those slugfests as jones rarely has those.

Last edited:
well you don't need to only look at my opinion. look at the opinions from the mma media after both fights. they both had the majority in the way i saw it.

I already mentioned I have no concern about the Reyes and Jones fight and who won or lost. Or even the GSP fight with Hendrix. Both were close fights especially without the benefit of live stats. If you thought he won that is fine and if others thought they won, that is also fine as well.

Back