The irrationality of the UFC rankings

quantiqus

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
At lightweight, Nate Diaz is ranked 6th.

Diaz has not fought at all in 2017.
He has fought two times in 2016, both at WW, against McGregor.
His last 5 fights at LWwere 3 losses and 2 wins.
So, again, Diaz hasn't fought at LW for 2 years, but he is ranked 6th.

Kevin Lee is ranked 7th.
He has fought 3 times at LW in 2017, 3 times at LW in 2016.
5 wins, 1 single loss against the interim champ.

Yes, aware of the fact that Lee hasn't fought the best ranked fighters and that he just lost and that he cried. But, at least he fought at LW. 6 times in 2 years. Diaz hasn't fought at all in the last two years at LW.

Good job, media!

Tony Ferguson isn't even the pound for pound list.

/rankings

2r6p0ue.gif

2m3h0th.gif

The rankings are by profitability not fighting skill.

Diaz is an overrated gatekeeper.

They only bumped up his ranking cause he was about to fight McGregor.

Some idiots on here will try and tell you that he's just hitting his prime now and that his career before the Michael Johnson fight doesn't count.

I don't disagree that's crazy........but rankings are largely theoretical, so in theory you can say one fighter is better than another even if they haven't fought.

Dude I gave up on the UFC rankings when I saw with my own 2 eyes Siver go from 14 to 9 just because he got a fight announced against Conor.

who cares about rankings, when i started watching they didnt have them ... its prize fighting. I just want to see good fights, could care less if someone is ranked #1 for laying on a person for five rounds

In this day of tech and algorithms and a proliferation of neckbeards in the MMA fan basket, you'd think this could be figured out fairly simply.

Funny. Kevin Lee said the rankings didn't make sense about a week ago during a radio interview

Back