The iPhone and iPad Thread **Final iPhone 8 Design Reportedly Leaked**

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Discussion of Apple smartphones & tablets only in this thread. Discussion will probably be focused on Apple devices, in general, but feel free to discuss how these devices work with other devices. If you wish to debate Android vs. iPhone, then duke it out in our -->Smartphone Mega-Thread<--

Apple Operating Systems
  • iOS = iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
    • tvOS = Apple TV (3rd Gen & later)
    • watchOS = Apple Watch
  • MacOS = Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook
Apple is famously streamlined, and as you can see, its operating systems are no exception. The Apple Watch and Apple TV operate on forked derivatives of their mobile iOS operating system (which is probably why functions like mirroring integrate so seamlessly).

Current to April 2017, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus that were launched last Fall remain their most cutting edge phones. For those who still desire a smaller phone the iPhone SE is the most cutting edge Apple option. With just a 4" display, it is the same size as the iPhone 5, but its guts are almost perfectly identical to the iPhone 6s generation.

The name of the latest iPad was expected to be the iPad Air 3 or iPad 9.7 Pro 2, but Apple chose instead to just reboot the product line's naming by jettisoning everything but reference to its size. Thus, the most cutting edge iPad is called, simply, the iPad 9.7, although it is identical to its 2014 "Air 2" predecessor with the lone significant exception of a modest processor upgrade. The upside is that the baseline MSRP is only $329, now. Its larger brother is the 12.9" iPad Pro which is highly prized in the graphic novel & comic book worlds. The Pro remains, for now, their premier tablet in terms of hardware.

The iPod Touch 6th Gen is the most recent rendition of the touchscreen iPod from July of 2015.

iphone7-Plus-noir.png

iphone7-Plus-argent.png

iPadAir2_34FL_FlatBttm_3UP_WiFi_US-EN-SCREEN.png

Last edited:
Awesome. I've been a iphone user from the beginning, i'll admit i know little about Androids. I've always enjoyed Apple's ease of use, i'am loving my iphone 6 Plus, i think it's the best one yet...big as fuck though.

Had a couple android devices and switched to the iPhone 6 after New Years. Super happy with that decision. Battery life and charging time alone set the thing apart from what I'm used to.

I'm interesting in reading posts on jailbreaking, and what kind of customizations become available afterwards.

Android's are for people that can't afford iPhones because they work at a local McD's. iPhone is where it's at and the majority knows it.

Anybody know a solution to battery drain?

Everytime I use data, it drops by 1% every 2 minutes or so. It's updated to the latest version. I shouldn't have updated but I had no choice as Square wouldn't swipe with the old OS.

Anybody know a solution to battery drain?

Everytime I use data, it drops by 1% every 2 minutes or so. It's updated to the latest version. I shouldn't have updated but I had no choice as Square wouldn't swipe with the old OS.

Shit drives me crazy. If I use my phone on my lunch/a bit throughout the day, it dies before I can even get home from work.

Shit drives me crazy. If I use my phone on my lunch/a bit throughout the day, it dies before I can even get home from work.

What's crazy is that it only happens to US data.

I was in Japan and using data. It didn't drain as bad, probably 80% less. I bought a battery bank for $40 just in case my battery drained but my friend said it can be had for $12 at Amazon - it shouldn't have to come to this though.

Bought a mophie juice pack case for my 4s and I love it. Once your battery is almost dead, hit the side switch and it recharges to a full charge. So much simpler than carrying around those portable chargers

Battery is great on 6 plus.

I'm quite techy at times, android is a lot more awful to use than the iPhone, people what disagree are just in denial, iPhones are a lot better than android, the only thing I dislike about Apple is the limitations but most of these are gone with a developer licence.

So, uh, Apple is just sort of having a gas at this point. Nobody is "innovating" anything, really, so they're throwing more and more of their unrivaled financial power and infrastructure at just beating the shit out of Android at Android's own game. I'm talking about processing power. A cornerstone of Android's strategy has long been that it offered superior hardware, and usually at a lower price. Well, it might still be cheaper, but long gone are the days when Qualcomm's Snapdragon was shitting on Apple in terms of horsepower. Apple lifted a finger signifying its will and the tables flipped as simple as that.

In fact, the race is more one-sided, today, than it has ever been in the history of smartphones. It's bad. It's downright humiliating, really, how superior the Apple A9 chipset in the latest iPhone 6s/Plus offerings versus its flagship competition from Android & Windows.

Flagship Smartphone Chipsets Today
  • Apple = Apple A9 (iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s)
  • Qualcomm = Snapdragon 810 (Nexus 6P, HTC One M9, Oneplus 2, Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, Lumia 950XL)
  • Samsung = Exynos 7420 (Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6+, Galaxy S6 Edge+)
  • Mediatek = MT6795 "HelioX10" (HTC One M9+, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2)
Note: flagships you don't see above are on inferior chipsets such as the Snapdragon 808 (i.e. LG V10, LG G4, Moto X Style/PE, etc.)

Here is the most popular industry benchmark for computational power (Geekbench 3.1). Don't get distracted by the high Android tablet scores. Those chipsets burn too hot and suck too much power for phones:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks
http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

All Cores
Android
SGY9SM.png

iOS
FjkzHu.png
Single Core
Android
dHu9wz.png

iOS
nzl9AY.png

Here is the industry standard benchmark in measuring graphics performance (GFXBench, Manhattan 1080p Offscreen):
https://gfxbench.com/result.jsp?ben...=true&arch-ARM=true&arch-x86=true&base=device
OXcGiS.png

There is nothing on the foreseeable horizon to turn the tides. Apple is just going to own this throne for the next 3-6 months (at which point the baton is passed to the next generation of chipsets).

I cross-posted the above post in this and the Android/Windows thread. Y'all don't talk too much, I've noticed. Not a single post on the iPhone 6s release that just dropped (or the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil announcements before it). I separated the thread to protect Apple conversation, but now I'm wondering why.

I hate iOS 9

And have been losing my love for iPhone for a while now

I cross-posted the above post in this and the Android/Windows thread. Y'all don't talk too much, I've noticed. Not a single post on the iPhone 6s release that just dropped (or the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil announcements before it). I separated the thread to protect Apple conversation, but now I'm wondering why.

I'm wondering why, also. For one, I never even noticed. For another, Apple users talk about this kind of stuff on Macrumors and other Apple forum sites.

I will say this, though for the separation. People talk about the near religious loyalty that people have for Apple products, but the real zealots are the Apple haters.

You know me. I use both iOS and Android smartphones and tablets every day. (Well, I haven't had an iPad for a while.) I am technically deeper and broader than 99% of the haters on both sides (usually Android). I have fun schooling these guys when I get the itch.

Like right now, I've recently been playing with memory management models. Everyone knows that Android phones ship with more, nearly double the RAM. The Galaxy S6 has 3GB of RAM, the S5 before it, 2GB. Apple recently went up to 2GB on the iPhone 6S from the 1GB on the iPhone 6. But here's the thing. Those S6s desperately needed the 3GB upgrade because 2GB was barely adequate for it's awful memory management, while the iPhone needed the upgrade TO 2GB a lot less because it does more, much more efficiently with half the RAM.

I plan on buying the iPhone 6 next year when the price drops after the iphone 7 comes out.

I will say this, though for the separation. People talk about the near religious loyalty that people have for Apple products, but the real zealots are the Apple haters.
You'll find zero argument there. I'm a little tired of sheep bleating the word "sheep".

Long live Apple!

That Apple Pencil is too expensive and I don't like the idea of a stylus needing a battery & charging.

I enjoy my Apple Iphone 5S, its still going strong after 2 years, I can honestly say the best phone I've had. I've debated whether or not to get the 6S, but for now I think I'll keep on truckin with the 5S

IPhones are incredibly fast now, but I was more than satisfied with the speed of the 5S.

I don't like how apple is using the iPhone chips to crank out insanely unnecessary amounts of speed just for bragging rights or maybe to subsidize their iPad development. What are the 6S clocked at, 1.8ghz? I would so much rather have 1.2-1.4 and let the improved IPC drive speed and the increased efficiency push the battery life up.

Between letting people edit 4k video on their damn phone and having 2 day battery life, I know what would be better for normal people.

Back