The grappling forum isn't as bad as a few have made it sound...

Waxwingslain said:
This place works for me, It sucks having no English speakers to train with. Sometimes the first time I hear the English name of a technique is in here.

Thats funny, when I trained in Japan they refered to knee on the belly as "Nee On Za Beri" and many more. Wasn't hard to understand many terms.

Bubble Boy said:
Right on The Sickness! Sure we get a bunch of crap in here, but I've picked up so many very useful tips here. Some of the tips and advice have changed my game for the better overnight.

I do think our tolerance level of newbs is lower here than in the other fighting forums. I'm not sure why. I, for one, can readily admit posting dumbass n00B questions over in the Standup Forum (since I'm thinking about taking up Muay Thai) and I have never once been flamed over there. We could work on that over here...

You should include yourself as a quality poster. I agree this is the best forum on Sherdog (in on the group hug, grabbing Blake's ass).
*grabs own ass*

Feel the love everyone! Feel the love!

Grappling is still my fav forum on here by far. We've lost some good guys, but there are plenty of good ones left.

The Grabbling Forum IS by far the best. I rarely post on sherdog anymore and if I do it's usually here or the boxing forum. I won't even go into the mma forum anymore, it's a fuckin joke.

At one time i was addicted to sherdog, posting about 15 post per day in the grappling forums alone, and while i was at school i would be logged on the sherdog, good ol times....

this is prob the best forum, a little elitist and serious sometimes but maybe that's good for keeping the thread quality above mma forum.
i'm still a newb to grappling but the advice on this forum has helped me immensely, it's a really good resource.

Totally agree... I use to browse only MMA forum, G&E forum and grappling forum and I got to say that I've found the better reading in the grappling forum.

Resendiz said:
:icon_cry2 i thought i was cool.

Resendiz? Never heard of him... Does he even post here?

Ricky Rick... now there was a real good poster.

:D

Any man who tries to hug me is catching some crazy Judo throw and an armbar. :D

This forum has no doubt been very helpful to me. I used this forum to ask a lot of general questions (still do I'm sure) because I got interested in martial arts, but don't know many people that I could ask questions to. Being so new this place helped a lot. So yeah, this is a great forum.

i still post some but not as much as i used to,.
btw i just watched the 04 mundials dvds, sweet, i missed a lot of the action.
cant wait for adcc 2005 dvd's
my collar bone on my right side now needs surgery..(two years ago i missed a lot of training due to the left one getting surgery)...non bjj related though..again
i think i have a slight tear in one of my acl's, i will not mention which one due to it giving some one an advantage at a tourny if i do get to compete anytime soon. i still have legs that do not submit to anyone.
well...i am out of shape ...again, wotking nights has screwed me up like it did last summer.

*rambling will now cease..my bad*

i miss the quality posters but a lot of good people are still here, and some decent new guys

It's okay that I wasn't included in your list of cool posters, but what about #1Plumber???

And yes I agree, this is the best forum.

cottonzway said:
Any man who tries to hug me is catching some crazy Judo throw and an armbar. :D
yeah...no one here will know how to counter any of that.

cottonzway will soon start a thread on how to throw someone correctly to get the armbar.
hence ...the flying uchi mata kimura series will begin ....in theory.

but the "hug" will win every time.

kuroMaguro said:
Thats funny, when I trained in Japan they refered to knee on the belly as "Nee On Za Beri" and many more. Wasn't hard to understand many terms.

A lot of the more common BJJ techniques are in katakana English/Portuguese but the judo techniques and weird chokes aren't.

Maybe I've just been choked out too many times. My Japanese is pretty shocking.

Do you still train in Japan? Calibur came down to Nagoya a couple of weeks back for the Expo and rolled at our club. My instructor mistook him for someone he'd met before; we tried to explain he hadn't met him before but he just didn't get it. Fortunately, whoever it was had given him a good impression so he was quite happy to let him roll. Guess all us foreigners look the same to Japanese people...

People posting here are more likely to actually know something and be genuinely interested in stepping into the ring, instead of just talking shit.

This definitely one of the best forums on Sherdog. Definitely some good and knowledgable folks here. Also I've noticed that there are a lot less flaming, cursing, and adolescent behvaior.

Not much worse than trying to help someone or get some help with a post and get a response like "FU, u n33d 2 di3 uve b33N p3wneD"

lena said:
People posting here are more likely to actually know something and be genuinely interested in stepping into the ring, instead of just talking shit.
thats why I like it

By far the best forum on sherdog...but then again I'm biased.

Anyone that ventures to say the MMA forum is worth anything needs to be donkey kicked in the fucking kidneys.

They probably train mma so they would ground and pound you while a stray donkey kicks you in the groin

Back