Crime The Golden State Killer Finally Faces Justice: 26 Life Terms for 50 Rapes and 13 Murders.

One minor tidbit, one victim heard her attacker say; I hate you Bonnie and at one time Deangelo was engaged to a woman named Bonnie.

Authorities have been tight-lipped about what they found inside the California home of Golden State Killer suspect Joseph DeAngelo — but one investigator just dropped a chilling detail.

Paul Holes, the cold-case criminologist who first identified DeAngelo using open-source DNA, stopped by the "My Favorite Murder" podcast this week and described the one thing he saw in DeAngelo's bedroom that made the "biggest impression."

Before revealing the item, Holes said he knew going into the search that the sadistic serial killer, also known as the East Area Rapist, was known to bind some of his female victims and lay them down in front of TV sets.

Holes said the assailant would flip on the TVs, turn the sound off and drape a towel over the screens, "so he would have this glow, so he could see her."

"(I) walk into DeAngelo's room, and he has a computer there, and he's got a towel over the monitor," Holes revealed on the podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark.

"I'm looking at that going, 'Is that just a dust cover? Or is he reminiscing (and) he wants a glow, you know?'" Holes said. "Is he pulling out any of those souvenirs and replicating the glowing environment from back in the 1970s?"

The Golden State Killer was known to take trophies from his victims' houses, mostly pieces of jewelry such as rings, cuff links and necklaces with heart-shaped pendants.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ch-golden-state-killer-home-article-1.4010343

Last edited:
Special segment from ABC, great for those who needs to catch up:

One minor tidbit, one victim heard her attacker say; I hate you Bonnie and at one time Deangelo was engaged to a woman named Bonnie.
Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but it seems between this, the fact he was dismissed from the force for stealing a burglary kit and a few other details you’d think someone could have connected the dots?

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but it seems between this, the fact he was dismissed from the force for stealing a burglary kit and a few other details you’d think someone could have connected the dots?

Like they say, it's not about what you know, it's about what you can prove.

Victims attend Golden State Killer's court appearance
"Seeing him locked up, that's been the goal all along, all these years that we've been searching for closure," one woman said.
By Associated Press / Jul.13.2018

180713-golden-state-killer-carson-sandler-mn-0840_2da87beff905f1a14557b3ea2722a86b.fit-2000w.jpg

Jane Carson-Sandler, of South Carolina, who was raped by the so-called Golden State Killer in 1976, holds a sign with a message to her attacker in Sacramento, California on Thursday

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Three victims of a notorious Northern California serial killer and rapist said they are feeling relief after flying to California's capital city to see the alleged attacker behind bars for the first time Thursday.

They were among nearly a dozen victims and survivors who showed up for a brief, routine court hearing in the case against former police officer Joseph DeAngelo.

Jane Carson-Sandler, who traveled from Hilton Head, South Carolina, was one of dozens of women raped by the elusive Golden State Killer. DeAngelo, 72, is also charged with killing 12 people across California in the 1970s and 80s.

The Associated Press does not usually identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault, but is doing so in this case because the women spoke publicly about what they said happened to them.

Carson-Sandler said she started crying and felt angry and anxious as she sat in the Sacramento County jail courtroom, until she was comforted by Debbi Domingo, whom she calls a "sister survivor."

"I hope he suffers and dies in jail," Carson-Sandler said later. "But I hope he knows that he has not won, that we have the power and control now."

She wore an orange T-shirt with a message to DeAngelo on the back: "Victim survivor thriver...See you in court."

Domingo traveled from Texas to see the man charged with killing her mother in Santa Barbara County. The women all went to lunch together after the hearing and plan to keep in touch throughout DeAngelo's prosecution.

"Seeing him locked up, that's been the goal all along, all these years that we've been searching for closure," Domingo said of DeAngelo, who looked at the judge during the two-minute hearing while keeping his back to the victims. The hearing was continued until Sept. 5.

One of the killer's youngest victims, Margaret Wardlow, said she was raped at age 13. She traveled from San Diego and called seeing DeAngelo "intense."

"It's frightening," she said. "I thought, this is the guy that came into a 13-year-old's room and raped her. How do you do that to a kid?"

Defense attorney Diane Howard declined comment after the hearing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/victims-attend-golden-state-killer-s-court-appearance-n891141

Victims Fly to California to See Accused Golden State Killer
Jul 13, 2018

gs_killer_0712_3463492.JPG

Three victims of a notorious Northern California serial killer and rapist said they are feeling relief after flying to California's capital city to see the alleged attacker behind bars for the first time Thursday.

They were among nearly a dozen victims and survivors who showed up for a brief, routine court hearing in the case against former police officer Joseph DeAngelo.

Jane Carson-Sandler, who traveled from Hilton Head, South Carolina, was one of dozens of women raped by the elusive Golden State Killer. DeAngelo, 72, is also charged with killing 12 people across California in the 1970s and 80s.

The Associated Press does not usually identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault, but is doing so in this case because the women spoke publicly about what they said happened to them.

Carson-Sandler said she started crying and felt angry and anxious as she sat in the Sacramento County jail courtroom, until she was comforted by Debbi Domingo, whom she calls a "sister survivor."

"I hope he suffers and dies in jail," Carson-Sandler said later. "But I hope he knows that he has not won, that we have the power and control now."

She wore an orange T-shirt with a message to DeAngelo on the back: "Victim survivor thriver...See you in court."

Domingo traveled from Texas to see the man charged with killing her mother in Santa Barbara County. The women all went to lunch together after the hearing and plan to keep in touch throughout DeAngelo's prosecution.

"Seeing him locked up, that's been the goal all along, all these years that we've been searching for closure," Domingo said of DeAngelo, who looked at the judge during the two-minute hearing while keeping his back to the victims. The hearing was continued until Sept. 5.

One of the killer's youngest victims, Margaret Wardlow, said she was raped at age 13. She traveled from San Diego and called seeing DeAngelo "intense."

"It's frightening,"' she said. "I thought, this is the guy that came into a 13-year-old's room and raped her. How do you do that to a kid?"

Defense attorney Diane Howard declined comment after the hearing.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...ee-Accused-Golden-State-Killer-488066191.html

The Story Of One Of California’s Scariest & Most Elusive Serial Killers Is Heading To HBO
Kaitlin Reilly | May 4, 2020

A new documentary series examines the case of a California rapist and murderer — and the true crime author who relentlessly tried to track him down.

On Monday, HBO dropped a trailer for their six-part documentary series I’ll Be Gone In the Dark. Directed by Academy Award nominated filmmaker Liz Garbus, the series is based on Michelle McNamara’s investigation into the Golden State Killer, and McNamara’s book of the same name.

McNamara, who died in 2016, ran a true crime blog called True Crime Diary, and spent hours investigating crimes committed by what police at the time believed to be two separate people: the East Area Rapist and “the Original Night Stalker,” a reference to Richard Ramirez, a rapist and murderer who operated around Los Angeles and San Francisco. The crimes began in 1976, and continued for a decade. In 2001, DNA confirmed these two people were the same person. It was McNamara who coined the term the Golden State Killer, and through her website and subsequent book, brought attention to the case.

“What drives me is the need to put a face on an unknown killer,” McNamara says in the trailer for I’ll Be Gone In the Dark.

Through her work, McNamara was able to access “material that other investigators had never seen.” Unlike many in the true crime world, she also made sure to pay special attention to the victims of the Golden State Killer, who was linked to over 13 murders.

In 2018, police arrested Joseph James DeAngelo, a 73-year-old former police officer, under suspicion that he was the Golden State Killer. In convicted, DeAngelo faces the death penalty. He is currently awaiting trial.

The new series should provide not only an eye-opening view of a case that McNamara vowed to bring into the public consciousness, but also of McNamara herself, who fought for justice for the Golden State Killer’s victims and survivors.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/20...rk-hbo-documentary-series-golden-state-killer

The Story Of One Of California’s Scariest & Most Elusive Serial Killers Is Heading To HBO
Kaitlin Reilly | May 4, 2020

A new documentary series examines the case of a California rapist and murderer — and the true crime author who relentlessly tried to track him down.

On Monday, HBO dropped a trailer for their six-part documentary series I’ll Be Gone In the Dark. Directed by Academy Award nominated filmmaker Liz Garbus, the series is based on Michelle McNamara’s investigation into the Golden State Killer, and McNamara’s book of the same name.

McNamara, who died in 2016, ran a true crime blog called True Crime Diary, and spent hours investigating crimes committed by what police at the time believed to be two separate people: the East Area Rapist and “the Original Night Stalker,” a reference to Richard Ramirez, a rapist and murderer who operated around Los Angeles and San Francisco. The crimes began in 1976, and continued for a decade. In 2001, DNA confirmed these two people were the same person. It was McNamara who coined the term the Golden State Killer, and through her website and subsequent book, brought attention to the case.

“What drives me is the need to put a face on an unknown killer,” McNamara says in the trailer for I’ll Be Gone In the Dark.

Through her work, McNamara was able to access “material that other investigators had never seen.” Unlike many in the true crime world, she also made sure to pay special attention to the victims of the Golden State Killer, who was linked to over 13 murders.

In 2018, police arrested Joseph James DeAngelo, a 73-year-old former police officer, under suspicion that he was the Golden State Killer. In convicted, DeAngelo faces the death penalty. He is currently awaiting trial.

The new series should provide not only an eye-opening view of a case that McNamara vowed to bring into the public consciousness, but also of McNamara herself, who fought for justice for the Golden State Killer’s victims and survivors.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/20...rk-hbo-documentary-series-golden-state-killer

That was actor Patton Oswalts wife. He probably had something to do with getting her copious amounts of material turned into a screen project

50 rapes and 12 murders and was never caught? That's insane. We just executed an 84 year old the other day, so this guy might be lucky that he is from California.

cbsn-fusion-golden-state-killer-press-conference-joseph-james-deangelo-identified-today-2018-04-25-thumbnail-1554799-640x360.jpg

Lucky? Would you rather spend 23 hours of the day, for the rest of your life, in an 8x8 prison cell or be euthanized like a family pet?

Lucky? Would you rather spend 23 hours of the day, for the rest of your life, in an 8x8 prison cell or be euthanized like a family pet?

None of us could know, until faced with that reality. All I know is that damn near everyone on Death Row is desperately trying to have their sentences commuted to life in prison, so the idea of being sent into the abyss must be a hell of a thing.

Back