Economy The five richest people in the world seen their net worth increase by 14 million an hour since 2020.

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Well this is the first time I saw these represented this way by hourly. How many of you made 14 million an hourly lol. How your hourly wage doing apparently it's pretty good for the 5 richest. I am pretty sure back in 2000 to get on the Forbes 400 you needed around 400 million now it's 3.5 billion.

"
"Billionaires, for many of them, times have never been better."

That's a quote from Rebecca Riddell, the policy lead for economic and racial justice at Oxfam America.

"If you'd put their money in a room in 2020, and then you came back at the end of 2023, you would have found that the wealth has grown enormously," says Riddell. "Three times the rate of inflation."

The success of billionaires is one of the key points in a new report from global charity Oxfam International titled "Inequality Inc." It's an annual publication issued to coincide with the meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, which begins on Monday, Jan. 15. Each year since 1971, government and business leaders have come to the Swiss mountain resort town to mull over the world's problems and possibilities."

"

Oxfam's assertions​

This latest edition of the Oxfam report looks back over the last few years since 2020 and describes the growing unequal distribution of wealth as "the beginnings of a decade of division."

Oxfam spells out just how well billionaires are faring: "The world's five richest men have more than doubled their fortunes from $405 billion to $869 billion since 2020 —at a rate of $14 million per hour— while nearly five billion people have been made poorer."

(In case you're wondering, the top five are Bernard Arnault and his family, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, Larry Ellison and Elon Musk.)

"You might think there would be little that could surprise us," says Oxfam's Riddell. Indeed, their report in 2022 made a very similar point. As NPR's headline observed: "Oxfam says the rich got richer in the pandemic, and the wealth gap is killing the poor."

But there's something different this time around, says Riddell. "The astronomical nature of gains at the very top since 2020 — during a time when so many suffered — really stood out."

Meanwhile, the report notes that for many "ordinary people" around the world, this decade has so far been tough going.

"It opened with a pandemic that devastated lives and economies," says Riddell. "Add to that the challenges of a really prolonged cost-of-living crisis, climate breakdown and war. Progress against poverty has nearly stalled.""

Just another point this is only corporate people not members of government or oil families. I saw the 1000 family members of the house of Saud where worth north of 1.4 trillion dollars.

Last edited:
Russian billionaires net worth in 2023 th had increased by more than 50 b
USD. While some 2-3 trolls are posting here pro Kremlin oriented narratives while are claiming that supports working class
.....and poor ppl....LOL.

Buffett has donated well over half his Berkshire shares too. If Buffett still held all the shares he did in 2006, he would be worth $262 billion right now, and the world's richest man. At least ostensibly - Putin is probably the world's richest man.

As with many phenomena, the most astounding thing about this for me is not the phenomenon itself but the reaction, or lack thereof, of the public. For me, more shocking than the fact that that few people have that much wealth is the fact that the great majority of the population either have no opinion on it, or defend the system that brought it about.

You could call it slavery, which is a bit of an exaggeration, or you could call it magic. I have a piece of paper which says that these people's property belongs to me! I do nothing and thousands of people work to provide goods and services. They are paid enough to keep them alive to the next sunrise and I take the rest!

If they don't like it they can go and work for someone else. But everyone else treats them the same. Then they can not work and starve in a cardboard box. My magic piece of paper seems to awe people into submission that this state of affairs is right and proper, but if the spell doesn't work on everyone the police and ultimately army will gaol or if necessary kill them if they try to overthrow it.

The magic explanation is facetious, you can just explain human behaviour by slavery being our natural state. The tribes who used slavery survived and reproduced more effectively for many generations until our psychology and instincts fitted it. I suppose some of it goes back to pre human days.

Why aren't the parasites (royal families across the world) never mentioned amongst articles like this.

Why aren't the parasites (royal families across the world) never mentioned amongst articles like this.
The same reason the Rothchilds and Orisinis are never mentioned. They hide in the shadows with wealth that is far greater. The billionaires we see are the puppets or distractions to hide those that truly hold all the wealth and power.

As with many phenomena, the most astounding thing about this for me is not the phenomenon itself but the reaction, or lack thereof, of the public. For me, more shocking than the fact that that few people have that much wealth is the fact that the great majority of the population either have no opinion on it, or defend the system that brought it about.

You could call it slavery, which is a bit of an exaggeration, or you could call it magic. I have a piece of paper which says that these people's property belongs to me! I do nothing and thousands of people work to provide goods and services. They are paid enough to keep them alive to the next sunrise and I take the rest!

If they don't like it they can go and work for someone else. But everyone else treats them the same. Then they can not work and starve in a cardboard box. My magic piece of paper seems to awe people into submission that this state of affairs is right and proper, but if the spell doesn't work on everyone the police and ultimately army will gaol or if necessary kill them if they try to overthrow it.

The magic explanation is facetious, you can just explain human behaviour by slavery being our natural state. The tribes who used slavery survived and reproduced more effectively for many generations until our psychology and instincts fitted it. I suppose some of it goes back to pre human days.
By “magic piece of paper” do you mean the laws that govern society?

Indeed. Aren't you planning on voting for more of the same with the same establishment puppet with dementia who's been in the political establishment for over a century? Slavery is the normal state indeed.

The "chuds" at least got fed up and had a hostile takeover of the country club GOP, and told them to fuck off with sending Jeb Bush and voted for a loudmouth with no political experience. Meanwhile, the "enlightened" cuckolds voted for fucking Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, the most establishment possible candidates, attack anyone who doesn't, any media that isn't owned by Jeff Bezos and sponsored by Pfizer, and have made it crystal clear that you will make no demands of your rulers and will vote for whoever you're told.

FFS, you can't get any more beaten down and subservient than to support people telling you to kill your kids and chop your dicks off, and we'll just replace the families you don't have with 3rd world migrants with lower expectations?

Indeed. Aren't you planning on voting for more of the same with the same establishment puppet with dementia who's been in the political establishment for over a century? Slavery is the normal state indeed.

The "chuds" at least got fed up and had a hostile takeover of the country club GOP, and told them to fuck off with sending Jeb Bush and voted for a loudmouth with no political experience. Meanwhile, the "enlightened" cuckolds voted for fucking Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, the most establishment possible candidates, attack anyone who doesn't, any media that isn't owned by Jeff Bezos and sponsored by Pfizer, and have made it crystal clear that you will make no demands of your rulers and will vote for whoever you're told.

FFS, you can't get any more beaten down and subservient than to support people telling you to kill your kids and chop your dicks off, and we'll just replace the families you don't have with 3rd world migrants with lower expectations?
Top notch congnitive dissonance...you forgot to mention trump is part of the billionaire class whose greatest achievement was permanent tax cuts for the rich and incremental higher taxes for the middle class

All he has to do is tell you that it's not your fault it's the immigrants! Dumbass

Top notch congnitive dissonance...you forgot to mention trump is part of the billionaire class whose greatest achievement was permanent tax cuts for the rich and incremental higher taxes for the middle class

All he has to do is tell you that it's not your fault it's the immigrants! Dumbass
<Dany07><WellThere>

Cuck level 9000 response.

You're in a thread about billionaires increasing by $14 million HOURLY while everyone else can't afford rent and now have over $1 trillion in credit card debt putting everyday expenses on high interest credit cards with credit company Joe and your masters at the helm and Trump in charge of nothing, and your defending it with "but but but Drumpf didn't confiscate enough of my money"? Jesus Christ, do you have any self esteem at all?

<Dany07><WellThere>

Cuck level 9000 response.

You're in a thread about billionaires increasing by $14 million HOURLY while everyone else can't afford rent and now have over $1 trillion in credit card debt putting everyday expenses on high interest credit cards with credit company Joe and your masters at the helm and Trump in charge of nothing, and your defending it with "but but but Drumpf didn't confiscate enough of my money"? Jesus Christ, do you have any self esteem at all?
You're confused n dumbass... you're arguing with the strawman in your head

Trump was the President during the greatest transfer of wealth from middle class to the Elite. First thing Trump did was increase spending. The PPP loan program was just government supported thievery.
I can not understand why a 3rd generation wealthy guy, went to private boarding High School, Ivy league educated and your dumbass thinks Trump is the one fighting the Elites. That is sad and funny all at the same time.
The Elite love Trump, and glad he dog whistles the Rubes, because the Rubes wont see the money flowing away from them.
I am beginning to think Trump is just a useful Idiot for the Elite, Trump likes the attention and the ones pulling his strings like the money.

You're confused n dumbass... you're arguing with the strawman in your head
I responded directly to your comically stupid post. I appreciate your failed effort, but you should stick to wearing your "I'm with her" tee shirts with a copy of Jeff Bezos' newspaper under your arm and pretend you're part of the ruling class and not a peon subservient begging for scraps.

Trump was the President during the greatest transfer of wealth from middle class to the Elite. First thing Trump did was increase spending. The PPP loan program was just government supported thievery.
I can not understand why a 3rd generation wealthy guy, went to private boarding High School, Ivy league educated and your dumbass thinks Trump is the one fighting the Elites. That is sad and funny all at the same time.
The Elite love Trump, and glad he dog whistles the Rubes, because the Rubes wont see the money flowing away from them.
I am beginning to think Trump is just a useful Idiot for the Elite, Trump likes the attention and the ones pulling his strings like the money.
Another great example. You idiots were the ones demanding to be locked in a shed for 2 years and close schools to hide from a cough that you all got multiple times anyway, and called everyone "Karens" and "chuds" for opposing it. Congratulations on taking another one up the ass and asking for more.

Back