THE EXPANSE (Season 6 Official Trailer; Premieres Dec. 10, 2021)

Watched 2 episodes and didn't know what the fuck is going on.

They might of spent all that cash making the show look pretty and getting pretty good actors, but the writing and story telling is all not constructed well...and that's the most important part.

I tapped out already, I'm sure it gets really good but I just can't deal with it at the moment. I might come around after a few months it's ended and give it another go; I still have hopes for it

Well no shit you have no idea, you need to get at least into 4 episodes to understand.

Thomas Jane character is the most insufferable. He does a good job of acting the True Detective, Sin City, Dick Tracy style, but it does not fit for this show.

And where did the producers get that idea for the belter accent?

There is not supposed to be any sound in space. They have sound effects when looking at ship movements from an outer space perspective.

its sci-fi lets not cry about shit like that....seriously? lol

its sci-fi lets not cry about shit like that....seriously? lol

Since you are a war fighting hardware expert I have been meaning to ask this.

If in outerspace, and we still use kinetic energy projectile weapons like a rail gun, is there not the danger of firing at a particular angle, moment in time, and velocity, that the projectile will hit earth, if it misses its target, and does not hit anything else?

Since you are a war fighting hardware expert I have been meaning to ask this.

If in outerspace, and we still use kinetic energy projectile weapons like a rail gun, is there not the danger of firing at a particular angle, moment in time, and velocity, that the projectile will hit earth, if it misses its target, and does not hit anything else?

Thats hard to say, but its possible. Thats if we use rail-guns as space base weapons, chances are we'd use lasers or plasma base weapons, more or less likely plasma base weapons and lasers seem to be more then likely.

i mean thats not to say a rail gun wont work in outer space. Thats what a rail gun could look like in the future .

but i think that might be a mass driver...

Last edited:
Thats hard to say, but its possible. Thats if we use rail-guns as space base weapons, chances are we'd use lasers or plasma base weapons, more or less likely plasma base weapons and lasers seem to be more then likely.

i mean thats not to say a rail gun wont work in outer space. Thats what a rail gun could look like in the future .

but i think that might be a mass driver...

Wouldnt lasers, and plasma require too much energy?

Loved the finale. The flashback for Mao was really effective in bringing the whole season in full circle.

This is one show where you can really tell that it was based on a novel by its deliberate pacing. I especially liked that they didn't overflow the first couple of episodes with exposition, something GOT still suffers from. The show builds its world out of the minor details you see throughout. A lot of people complain about feeling overwhelmed because of it, but I liked that the producers didn't try to hold the viewers hand the whole time.

Can't wait for season 2

2 episodes in. Bored to death...and I love Sci-fi... : (

Watched 2 episodes and didn't know what the fuck is going on.

They might of spent all that cash making the show look pretty and getting pretty good actors, but the writing and story telling is all not constructed well...and that's the most important part.

I tapped out already, I'm sure it gets really good but I just can't deal with it at the moment. I might come around after a few months it's ended and give it another go; I still have hopes for it

I did not like the first 2-3 episodes at all, either. I didn't (and still don't) buy the premise regarding oppressed population of spacers/belters, mining ice from the asteroid belt, etc and was going to give up after ep 2, but after reading all the recommendations here to keep going, I'm very happy I did. Damn, does it pick up steam after a couple episodes.

In fact, though not without it's flaws, I'd go so far as to say this is the best depicted space-travel science fiction show I've seen in pretty much forever. Watching this show, they do a great job of giving you a sense of the properties of space, the way that a TV show or movie about sailing will give you a sense that the ocean is wet. In comparison, the space oceans of Star Trek, B5, BSG, Firefly, aren't really wet.

Good shit. About to read the books.

Will Julie Mao make a comeback? It is such a shame, they show built her up and up, and she dies when they find her.

The Earth from the range at these guys are (asteroid belt from beyond Mars), that'd be astronomically unlikely. Earth from that range would look like Mars does from here - a particularly bright star. Literally a pinprick on the canvas of space. The chances of hitting something would be miniscule.

Let's say it did to Earth. We're shown in that scene where Shed Garvey's head gets blown off that these projectile are about 150mm? Any super high velocity metal object that hits the earth's atmosphere will burn up from friction on entry.

What is a plasma weapon?

Anyway, the problem with lasers as a weapon is range, absorption and power. All lasers dissipate in power over distance and you can make any surface invulnerable to a laser by making shiny.

OTOH, a kinetic energy weapon in space has unlimited effective range (which is what MadSquabbles alluded to) and as a weapon can punch through the thin skin of the space faring vessels in this show. And compared to the mass of the vessel (these ships are apparently huge, capable of carrying whole entire other ships within their docking bays) versus the mass of the projectile, there's no reason that rail guns are no less plausible than anything else.

The Earth from the range at these guys are (asteroid belt from beyond Mars), that'd be astronomically unlikely. Earth from that range would look like Mars does from here - a particularly bright star. Literally a pinprick on the canvas of space. The chances of hitting something would be miniscule.

Let's say it did to Earth. We're shown in that scene where Shed Garvey's head gets blown off that these projectile are about 150mm? Any super high velocity metal object that hits the earth's atmosphere will burn up from friction on entry.

I figure kinetic energy weapons in space will have to be very very high speeds, and you would have to fire many many of them right, and the material must be pretty sturdy.

The only character I really didn't care for is Chrisjen Avasarala, the Indian cigarette voice lady. I don't care for the actress's acting, I don't care for her characterization and motivations and her outfits are stupid. I want to stab myself in my ear every time I hear her voice.

That said, I like how the script flipped and it turns out that her boss is the one who is in cahoots with the bad guys and she's the principled character.

Yeah like ppl already stated, first few episodes are kinda shit imo but it takes off at 5-6th episode. I was going to stop watching it but now im glad i gave it another shot.
I still cringe at the old earth lady tho, cant stand her and her smokervoice.
I agree, i was going to stop watching too. That bitch is annoying maybe she was casted so we would hate her. She would have been a hottie in her day, hell id give her one now so long as i could tape her mouth shut!

I figure kinetic energy weapons in space will have to be very very high speeds, and you would have to fire many many of them right, and the material must be pretty sturdy.

Well, to put this in perspective, meteors that enter the Earth's atmosphere are traveling dozens of thousands of miles per hour relative to us.

And it doesn't really matter how "sturdy" a material is because that can mean different thing. You can have a very hard metal with low heat capacity that will ablate and evaporate due to heat very quickly or a relatively brittle ceramic object of similar weight and shape for which the heat of atmospheric entry isn't an issue. (It might break up due to other issues, though).

Plus, when an object enters a dense fluid medium, it slows down dramatically because the viscosity of a fluid is inversely proportional to its size, which means larger objects retain more of it's velocity and kinetic energy versus a smaller object when it hits the atmosphere. An object the size of a projectile, let's say the size of a railgun/artillery projectile will lose most of it's velocity and speed after it hits the atmosphere.

Imagine the a swimming pool is air and the air above it is vacuum. When you shoot a bullet into a swimming pool from above it, it slows down within a feet or two after it hits the water. In the same way, a railgun projectile isn't really capable of keeping it's kinetic energy after it hits a planetary atmosphere.

Not that it would in the first place, because again, the Earth would be a pinprick in the vastness of space.

Well, to put this in perspective, meteors that enter the Earth's atmosphere are traveling dozens of thousands of miles per hour relative to us.

And it doesn't really matter how "sturdy" a material is because that can mean different thing. You can have a very hard metal with low heat capacity that will ablate and evaporate due to heat very quickly or a relatively brittle ceramic object of similar weight and shape for which the heat of atmospheric entry isn't an issue. (It might break up due to other issues, though).

Plus, when an object enters a dense fluid medium, it slows down dramatically because the viscosity of a fluid is inversely proportional to its size, which means larger objects retain more of it's velocity and kinetic energy versus a smaller object when it hits the atmosphere. An object the size of a projectile, let's say the size of a railgun/artillery projectile will lose most of it's velocity and speed after it hits the atmosphere.

Imagine the a swimming pool is air and the air above it is vacuum. When you shoot a bullet into a swimming pool from above it, it slows down within a feet or two after it hits the water. In the same way, a railgun projectile isn't really capable of keeping it's kinetic energy after it hits a planetary atmosphere.

Not that it would in the first place, because again, the Earth would be a pinprick in the vastness of space.

I hope you are right, really.

Very very very very very unlikely. Also the no sound in space thing is probably the one aspect of physics I never want to see/hear in action in a work of fiction. It\d make for some boring scenes.

Sounds like Afrikaans, sorta.

A lot of people say Afrikaans when they mean to say South African English. Is that what you mean? Afrikaans isn't mutually intelligible with English. Dutch people from certain parts of the Netherlands can carry that Afrikaaner/South African English accent, too.

Anyway, if it is the latter, then I hear why a lot of people are saying this, especially since the most prominent speaker seems to be that guy playing Anderson Dawes seems to be drawing a lot from Afrikaner English. OTOH, you hear that kind of accent in the English of a lot of people who spoke some form of the many English Creoles as a first language, too.

Last edited:
Back