The ESPN deal has been awful for MMA fans

This reminds me when people said UFC 200 and 100 were more stacked than 300 even though it really wasn't lol. Shit is stupid.

Learn about the sport, yes there were good fighters at last weekends PPV.

It’s basically the same amount of cards. The problem is they aren’t building many names because guys are fighting in a warehouse with lower viewership
That's what I don't think people are realizing. COVID/Apex is what ruined it. ESPN has just due to their quota of cards they demand but a lot of it is they don't have to worry about selling tickets at the Apex so those cards are a lot weaker than those that are at event centers. I guess it depends on quantity vs quality. Personally I'd rather have more events than like 5 events a year stacked from top to bottom like they use to do.

shit spike tv fight night cards were better than espn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Ultimate_Fight_Night_2
these espn cards can deliver but so cant PFL, cage warriors, or one fc. i just expect a better pool of fighters from the "premier" fighting organization. some of these fighters are ranked 220 or higher in the world. hell tito ortiz fought little nog on spike tv free fight night.
I'm fine with them watering down events because realistically it's something they have to do to make it possible to fullfill their ESPN deal I just wish they would at least make the main even and comain meaningful. These next 2 events have little to no significance especially Lewis vs Nascimento. I guess you could say Murphy will propel himself if he beats Barboza but that's a stretch.

I don't think it's ESPN to blame, it's more due to the pandemic and Dana realising how much he and his staff enjoyed staying at home rather than being out on the road all the time.

Thus the Apex cards became kind of like the old Strikeforce Challengers cards and are full of fighters coming off losses and debutants, propped up by a couple of fighters in the lower end of the top 10 of their division as the main event. Most FN's they have with crowds are still pretty good.

Tbf there were some dogshit cards in the past too though although the Apex ones are probably consistently worse now.

However

About 75% of the card were making their UFC debuts on this one and it wasn't even a TUF finale.

Did get a title fight in the main of this one tbf, but this was an awful card at the time.

Shit at the time, mostly dudes coming off losses.

Reactions: HHJ
Ever since the UFC went mainstream it went down. Definitely not as fun as it once was.
I don’t like too many fights. Too many fighters and too hard to keep track of rankings. I watch way less than what I once did.

Ever since the UFC went mainstream it went down. Definitely not as fun as it once was.
I don’t like too many fights. Too many fighters and too hard to keep track of rankings. I watch way less than what I once did.
Pussy

the obvious reason is UFC having to fulfill contractual obligations to ESPN to put on a certain number of events.
the mentality seems to be "make these events" more than "make good fights", and the end product shows.
honestly, when the pandemic hit and the lockdowns were in place i really enjoyed the Apex; it reminded me of Pride and how the audience was just silent and you could hear everything happening.
but now that the lockdowns are over, the Apex just feels sad and hollow. its like the UFC is an overconfident dude just cheering himself on in the mirror and no one else is around.
there are also too many fighters on the roster. it can be hard to keep track of fighters due to having a glut of them.

Threads like this are ridiculous.

Most of the posters complaining about fight night cards do not even watch them.

I watch pretty much every FN and for the majority of the booked fights are entertaining. I think a lot of people look at the names on the cards and pass judgement.

Even the Jerome/Justin fight, wasn't all that action packed until the last 30 seconds. There have been FN fights with similarly entertaining moments.

My biggest gripe about the FN cards is the lack of crowd at the Apex. Even 5,000 fans in a small setting could make the energy even better at these cards.

Someone tag @Dana and tell him to message me.

Back