The epitome of combat sports is freak show fights

It always has been.
Freakshows are part of prize fighting.

Back when boxing was on the radio and a bunch of people went to a big field by the railroad line and made temporary boxing outdoor arenas in the early 1900s.

And I'm sure even before the marquees of Queensbury rules in the bare knuckle era they had legit fighters fight big freak wrestlers and shit.

It has always been spectacle.

It's 2 dudes fighting for money.
For sure, it's definitely a part of prize fighting - the spectacle. That's what's missing in this Reebok era of UFC - it all looks the same and there is no special feeling to any fight.

The issue I have with the Fury-Ngannou fight is that Fury is legit putting HW boxing on hold to do this, which is the same issue with Makhachev-Volk or most other "superfights" - divisions are put on hold for up to a year (more if there's a rematch), and the "superfight" rarely if ever produces a satisfying result.

I do understand that the Fury-Ngannou fight, mismatched as it is, loses value if either dude is not bringing their respective lineal belts into it with them, so the time to do it is now, before Fury loses/retires or people forget who Ngannou is.

Pride had it right all along.

now what i mean by freak show fights doesnt have to have some 7ft giant vs minowaman. But imo, a freak show fight is like celebrity fighting, youtube boxing, cross over mma fighters boxing etc. Basically fighters/athletes from 1 sport crossing over or have no business in the ring with another.

An example of a freak show fight is chuck norris fighting joe rogan. Yea they are both martial artists and have black belts. But their fight is a freak show fight.

francis is a legit mma fighter but is not even ranked in the top 1000 of pro boxing, yet he gets to fight the undisputed boxing champ in a real boxing match.

When is Kanye West gonna get his fight vs Jon jones?

Actually people only get away with what you allow them to get away with so the fact that these fights are even taking place because somebody allowed it somebody allowed Jake Paul to be a thing somebody allowed Conor McGregor to face Floyd Mayweather so these are the people that are at fault for stuff like this .combat sports is an actual sport and it's been around for hundreds of years before any of this crap came around

For sure, it's definitely a part of prize fighting - the spectacle. That's what's missing in this Reebok era of UFC - it all looks the same and there is no special feeling to any fight.

The issue I have with the Fury-Ngannou fight is that Fury is legit putting HW boxing on hold to do this, which is the same issue with Makhachev-Volk or most other "superfights" - divisions are put on hold for up to a year (more if there's a rematch), and the "superfight" rarely if ever produces a satisfying result.

I do understand that the Fury-Ngannou fight, mismatched as it is, loses value if either dude is not bringing their respective lineal belts into it with them, so the time to do it is now, before Fury loses/retires or people forget who Ngannou is.
I thought Fury was booked for Usyk in December?

If so, and he follows thru, fair play, no?

Yeah, if Francis somehow pulls a act of divine intervention out of his asshole it would fuck that up, but I don't think that is of large concern.

Actually people only get away with what you allow them to get away with so the fact that these fights are even taking place because somebody allowed it somebody allowed Jake Paul to be a thing somebody allowed Conor McGregor to face Floyd Mayweather so these are the people that are at fault for stuff like this .combat sports is an actual sport and it's been around for hundreds of years before any of this crap came around
Yeah but in those hundreds of years, nothing is bigger and more popular than freak show fights.

look at the money diaz, ngannou, woodley got from just boxing a popular person from another platform/sport.

The biggest fight in the ufc can’t match the numbers that freak show fights get.

MMA is freakshow. UFC and Dana are just too desperate to aknowledge it…

Yeah but in those hundreds of years, nothing is bigger and more popular than freak show fights.

look at the money diaz, ngannou, woodley got from just boxing a popular person from another platform/sport.

The biggest fight in the ufc can’t match the numbers that freak show fights get.

Not really..

Ali was paid 2.5 million plus for his fight with Frazier in 1971 that's equal to 15 plus mill today's money...

What has Jake paul or his opponents made today exactly? ..

. Tyson made 20 mill in one fight in the 1990s... Thats 47 million today...

Whos making 47 mill in freak show fights lol. ?

Not fucking Ben Askren or Tommy Fury....

Fighting is a freak show.

Commissions and Promoters have to clean it up just enough -- so it can be legal enough to take place in jurisdictions around the world.

FOX in the 90s had it right all along

Heck even the WWF did this shit.

Brawl For All was a fookin' disaster, bro

But yeah, combat sports is massively augmented by stupid freakshow fights as that's what interests people who don't really care about combat sports

Not really..

Ali was paid 2.5 million plus for his fight with Frazier in 1971 that's equal to 15 plus mill today's money...

What has Jake paul or his opponents made today exactly? ..

. Tyson made 20 mill in one fight in the 1990s... Thats 47 million today...

Whos making 47 mill in freak show fights lol. ?

Not fucking Ben Askren or Tommy Fury....
Freak show fights are the biggest fights in boxing today, deal with it.

MMA was a lot of fun back then. Fighters with clear advantages and disadvantages. Now it’s mostly well rounded fighters that win or lose based on game plans instead of the Street fighter video match ups.

Muhammad Ali looked similar against Lyle Alzado and alot of people thought he lost. Noone cared or thought it damaged the credibility of the sport of boxing.

It is the future though. It'll end up going both ways. Like Brock Lesnar doing a year or two of training and winning the UFC championship.

Don't forget Cus D' Amato predicted that while he wouldn't be a top 10 heavyweight he thought Wilt Chamberlain would beat Ali.

Everyone loves when the best of one sport takes on the best of another sport. Always have, always will.

People today shit on when PRIDE brought in Olympic judoka into MMA to see what would happen, but it was awesome.

MMA was a lot of fun back then. Fighters with clear advantages and disadvantages. Now it’s mostly well rounded fighters that win or lose based on game plans instead of the Street fighter video match ups.
Thats the problem a lot if UFC fans had with pride. They said it was lame because they would pit mismatches like a olympic judoka with 0 mma fights. But now we have the same shit and its waay more popular than the traditional stuff.

I'd much rather watch a freak show fight then some no-name UFC try hards.

Back