The epitome of combat sports is freak show fights

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Pride had it right all along.

now what i mean by freak show fights doesnt have to have some 7ft giant vs minowaman. But imo, a freak show fight is like celebrity fighting, youtube boxing, cross over mma fighters boxing etc. Basically fighters/athletes from 1 sport crossing over or have no business in the ring with another.

An example of a freak show fight is chuck norris fighting joe rogan. Yea they are both martial artists and have black belts. But their fight is a freak show fight.

francis is a legit mma fighter but is not even ranked in the top 1000 of pro boxing, yet he gets to fight the undisputed boxing champ in a real boxing match.

When is Kanye West gonna get his fight vs Jon jones?

Yeah but it's only interesting if both fighters are extremely talented at something (not necessarily boxing)

All the Paul Brothers fights have been extremely underwhelming thus far

FOX in the 90s had it right all along

Heck even the WWF did this shit.

Apparently Bart is a pretty tough guy too. He won the tournament.

Just goes to show you that there are levels to this and just because you're a tough pro wrestler doesn't mean you're a good fighter.

(In before someone misses my point and brings up Brock.)

It always has been.
Freakshows are part of prize fighting.

Back when boxing was on the radio and a bunch of people went to a big field by the railroad line and made temporary boxing outdoor arenas in the early 1900s.

And I'm sure even before the marquees of Queensbury rules in the bare knuckle era they had legit fighters fight big freak wrestlers and shit.

It has always been spectacle.

It's 2 dudes fighting for money.

Yeah but it's only interesting if both fighters are extremely talented at something (not necessarily boxing)

All the Paul Brothers fights have been extremely underwhelming thus far
Paul brothers fought the biggest names in mma and floyd mayweather. Thats the point. Its bigger.

i don't know if you've heard but... kanye west is there. ronaldo is there.

It only makes sense, right? People want to see humans challenged in any way. And the ultimate challenge is just plain violence. It can happen in all sorts of environments when people wil battle one another from chess to fighting. If you’re an established person in public people will watch you take on other people. And so far this is nothing. We will get back to a time where humans are battling animals. The more we evolve the more the feeling of being primal will be desired.

so why is it the epitome of combat sports?
All the rankings crap, climbing to the top, deserving fighters, none of that really compares to freak show fights. Its a popularity contest.

remember dana white was on board for elon vs zuck….

It always has been.
Freakshows are part of prize fighting.

Back when boxing was on the radio and a bunch of people went to a big field by the railroad line and made temporary boxing outdoor arenas in the early 1900s.

And I'm sure even before the marquees of Queensbury rules in the bare knuckle era they had legit fighters fight big freak wrestlers and shit.

It has always been spectacle.

It's 2 dudes fighting for money.

This is it. People want a show. I prefer to think of it as prize fighting instead of combat sports. The latter is the 'sanitary' name for it. Sorta like how wrestling is less pro wrasslin' and more sports entertainment.

This is it. People want a show. I prefer to think of it as prize fighting instead of combat sports. The latter is the 'sanitary' name for it. Sorta like how wrestling is less pro wrasslin' and more sports entertainment.
Then my issue is with the UFC fans who want to say everything else is a joke and UFC is the best and most legit.

Pride had it right all along.
Pride was a lot more than freak show fights. They're an easy attraction, but only a fight between true champions can create real emotional involvement and have any kind of historical value.

Pride was a lot more than freak show fights. They're an easy attraction, but only a fight between true champions can create real emotional involvement and have any kind of historical value.
Like random UFC interim title fights?

Back