The Crucifix Building Blocks (Official Thread)

Digitsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Today we are proud to present our newest release, THE CRUCIFIX BUILDING BLOCKS BY DAVE JACOBS!

In this instructional world renowned instructor and OG American Black Belt Dave Jacobs walks you through the finer points of his systematic approach to the Crucifix position. Beginners will be able build a solid foundation and advanced players will definitely pick up some awesome insight on this dominate position.

Save 20% Off Regular Price! Offer Expires 5/8/2016

Lean more at digitsu.com/the-crucifix-building-blocks

Dave is an active member here, so leave any questions here and he will get back to you.

Here are some reviews:
http://www.slideyfoot.com/2016/05/video-review-crucifix-building-blocks.html

Review from customers:
"One of my biggest complaints about BJJ tutorials is all of the excess verbal instruction. This is a fantastic crucifix tutorial with short, concise, and thorough position breakdowns that get right to the point. Perfect for watching on the way to work, on a plane, etc."

"This is an excellent and easy to follow tutorial on the crucifix position by David Jacobs. He provides clear and methodical instruction on getting the position, securing it and attacking once there. I'm looking forward to implementing lots of the details that he shares immediately! If you are looking to add the crucifix to your arsenal, this is the place to start."

I'm very excited about this and want to thank Digitsu for all the great work and hospitality.

True story: I risked my life to make this video! lol

I'm very excited about this and want to thank Digitsu for all the great work and hospitality.

True story: I risked my life to make this video! lol
Would you mind elaborating? I'm curious now.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm curious now.

Of course! (FYI: Apologies in advance if you find that the danger was more in my head than in reality.)

We filmed this during the east coast's big snow storm in January. After recording, I boarded the last train (all service was being canceled because of the snow) on the Long Island Railway from Long Island trying to get back to NYC. If I recall correctly, I believe the governor declared a state of emergency and shut down all public transportation and roads. Well, the snow was so bad that it covered the 3rd rail so the train could not get the necessary power to continue. We were stuck in between stations for several hours and the snow was not letting up. We could not get to NYC and I had no idea what I was going to do that night. Sleep on the train that was soon going to have no power? Walk in blizzard conditions to a hotel that my google maps said was a mile away? After maybe 5 hours, they sent a rescue train (diesel) to come pick us up ad return us back to the station where we started. What was I going to do at the station? All roads were closed due to the emergency. Fortunately, Charlie (Mr. Digitsu) braved the elements and the police to drive back to the station to pick me up and take me back to his house.

Yeah that day was crazy. Poor Greg and Nikki where white knuckling it in my car holding on for dear life as we drove through the snow storm.

I think we should have positioned this instructional as "The MOST DANGEROUS Series Ever Produced!"

I'm curious how it compares to Aesopian's crucifix book/gifs (a format I really liked btw).

I will be buying when I get home

This looks very interesting-- I've been having these exact types of crucifix troubles that appear to be addressed on this DVD. I get the basic Marcelo Garcia attacks, but the entries and counters are what have been messing me up. Could you give me a little more background on yourself?

This would be a great complement to marcelo's crucifix dvd, his is all no Gi and this would be the Gi version.

You mean like my BJJ resume? If so, I think this link should provide you with some helpful info and also lists my black belt competition highlights:

http://therockbjj.com/instructors/dave-jacobs/

Happy to answer any additional questions.

Yeah, just the typical 'where do you teach,' 'who gave you your black belt,' 'describe your BJJ game/philosophy' types of stuff. I love how Digitsu has such a keen eye for innovative under-the-radar instructors, I've been flustering everybody in my gym the last 6 months with Dan Covel's Black Magic Closed Guard, and I feel like they still don't understand what I'm doing. Looking forward to checking out your crucifix DVD; we had an Eduardo Telles black belt come through our gym recently and he was just sliding through all my crucifix attempts and winding his way on top side control, would love to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Last edited:
I've trained with Dave a good bit over the years. I remember watching him compete in pro divisions (no-gi) back in the early to mid 2000s, winning some notable matches. I was there on the day he got his black belt (12 years ago now? 11?) and I've had Dave in to my gym to teach exactly this material for a seminar. It was well worth it.

I've also had the opportunity to watch these videos recently, and really enjoyed them. They're short, to the point, and clever. Also: I love Kimuras (probably not a big surprise to any Sherdog regulars), and this stuff fits in great with a Kimura-based game.

I'm curious how it compares to Aesopian's crucifix book/gifs (a format I really liked btw).

They're both very good. If you're looking for something super in depth that you want to work through over several months/years, Aesopian has the detail and breadth.

If you want an introduction or a refresher on the crucifix, then Jacobs is concise (none of the videos are over two and a half minutes, most are under two), clear and easily digested. It's also very inexpensive, especially with the discount Digitsu are running at the moment.

Anything David shows will be legit and I'm excited to check this out!

I watched most of it last night.
First, it's a Digitsu video. Always well done. I'm still annoyed Faria's recent videos are with another company.
Second, instruction from Dave was great. He explains very well and lots of great details.
Definitely worth the money. Even if you don't go for crucifix, for the price its more than worth it to have in your collection IMO.

Bought the app yesterday and watched this morning. Good stuff. I appreciate how concise it is - one of the strengths of the video format is you can rewind and watch as many times as you need, so I never understood why people would repeat a move 3-4 times (unless there is a particular angle that needs to be shown).

I also enjoy how you guys are putting out smaller, cheaper products on a special topic - what else do you guys have in the pipeline? I know Dan has a half guard DVD coming out, and Edwin did a flying subs one...

Back