The best punch mitts/thai pads?

Konstanx

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently looking to get a pair of both punching mitts and thai pads for when I train outside gym hours.

What are the "best" mitts/pads out there right now? I tend to prefer the thai brands so any recommendations fairtex/boon/top king would be nice. Or are the western brands much better?

While price isn't a huge deal if the quality is good, I would still of course prefer a good price vs quality ratio.

Last edited:
Ring to Cage if you want to go for some comfortable all around pads to hold - better than the Thai brands IMHO. KO Fightgear if you want some pads that'll force you to get a workout even if you're holding it. No better price to quality ratio like KO Fightgear. I've heard great things about the Rival D3O Focus Mitts if you want one of the best (and most expensive) in the business but I'd stay away from their MMA/Muay Thai equipment. Title has a good budget mitt (the incredi-ball) for $30.

I like the Thai brands for their buckles and durability but KO Fightgear comes pretty damn close for about half the price. I don't see much of a reason to shell out an extra $50 unless you really want them to look pretty when that extra money could go to getting some Ring to Cage pads. I'm not much of a fan of any of the Thai focus mitts except for Fairtex though. Stick to a Western brand for focus mitts.

Cageside has some great choices at reasonable prices. I'm actually planning on getting a pair of Thai Pads and Focus Mitts as well from them.

Thanks for the heads up on going with a western brand for focus mitts. I've seen KO fightgear's pads mentioned on these forums before, I'll check them out, but I think they're all out of stock on their main site now? As for the d3o's focus mitts, are they worth the price tag? If they're so good that they can justify paying that much I'll get them, but I don't want to throw extra money at them just because of looks :)

As for cageside, I actually have a bit of cageside gear that I'm pretty happy with, didn't really think about them at all when it comes to mitts/pads, I'll take a closer look. Thanks :wink:

Please keep the suggestions coming, I tend to feel safer when I see more recommendations for certain brands coming from people. After getting these I'm hoping not to have to buy more/replace them in a long while.

I have the Ring to Cage Deluxe thai pads and they are flat out amazing, I am so impressed with the quality, way better than the top kings I had. If you want a softer pad I have heard the Ring to Cage Elites have an excellent softer striking area. Fairtex makes a nice thai pad as well, a little to soft and springy for my liking. I really cant stress how perfect the R2C deluxes are. As far as mitts go I like Air mitts alot, R2C and Fairtex make really nice ones. The Hayabusa pro focus mitts are excellent as well, im not a huge fan of traiditional thai mitts, the boon curved are my favorite as far as that goes.

We just got a pair of ring to cage thai pads in at the club and holy hell those things are hard... probably the hardest thai pads I've ever kicked... not that I mind but I thought I'd point that out.

as far as focus mitts go, the fairtex, twins and boon curved are all top notch, i have the boons and are of the highest quality, but nothing between them and the fairtex/twins, (traditional ones, not tried the fairtex aero mitts).

A guy at the gym has some ring2cage thai pads and i was very impressed, very thin and great shock absorber, so very light, not sure how long they will last as they pretty new, but look decent build quality.
i like the traditional fairtex (extra thick) thai pads, although they are heavy you can use one pad even with the guys who kick hard and still feel your arms after a hard session. ( i like to use one mitt and one thai pad)

top king thai pads are good, but be warned if u get them in small it is like kicking concrete blocks and they never soften up.

to be honest we have a good selection of thai pads at out gym (fairtex, twins, boon, mtg, ring2cage, top king...) and they are all good pads really.

Any particular reason for those specifically? I'm shopping around as well.

PD: jut the right size for me but has enough padding to throw heavy shots yet light enough for the holder

top king: compact yet not too hard.

Back