The Beach Boys

All I know is that Mike Love is one of the worst people in music.

He deserves to be jailed for crime against humanity for making this song.

Dunno if you know about it but I recently saw the film Love & Mercy and found it really good.

One of my fav Beach Boys chunes..

I'm a very big fan. I do think their early stuff is fun, and often times touched on pop perfection. Of course post Pet Sounds is immaculate up until Holland. It's basically a right of passage for any music fan to discover that the Beach Boys were actually an incredibly influential and forward thinking group of geniuses rather than just some kids from California who sang about surfing. The Smile sessions are probably my favorite thing of theirs.

I agree that a lot of their music is timeless to an extent. To track the influence you can see how songs like Cabin Essence would inspire New Weird America, their harmonies are embedded in groups like Fleet Foxes, and their syrupy psychedelic take on pop is essential to a band like Animal Collective. I like that you pointed out All I Really Want because you're right in that it sounds like a track from today...or 2009 to be exact.

I'm a very big fan. I do think their early stuff is fun, and often times touched on pop perfection. Of course post Pet Sounds is immaculate up until Holland. It's basically a right of passage for any music fan to discover that the Beach Boys were actually an incredibly influential and forward thinking group of geniuses rather than just some kids from California who sang about surfing. The Smile sessions are probably my favorite thing of theirs.

I agree that a lot of their music is timeless to an extent. To track the influence you can see how songs like Cabin Essence would inspire New Weird America, their harmonies are embedded in groups like Fleet Foxes, and their syrupy psychedelic take on pop is essential to a band like Animal Collective. I like that you pointed out All I Really Want because you're right in that it sounds like a track from today...or 2009 to be exact.

Funny you mention Fleet Foxes and Animal Collective...they're two of my favorite newer groups. It's also funny because they are often mentioned in the same breath, which at first glance seems odd because they are so very different. Yet there is that Beach Boys current running underneath both of them that you can't miss if you're a fan.

"It's basically a right of passage for any music fan to discover that the Beach Boys were actually an incredibly influential and forward thinking group of geniuses rather than just some kids from California who sang about surfing."

Great quote! Well said. I definitely feel that way about my musical life before and after discovering their catalog was way deeper than just Pet Sounds.

Steve Desper mix of "Til I Die" is so awesome. Once again, try and guess the year? This could be from a few years by some innovative group like Animal Collective.

I still maintain Al Jardine is criminally underrated. He kills it on the latest album and his voice has such a great edge to it.

Three of my Jardine favorites:

This could be a modern song it sounds so good...

Kind cheesy but Al sounds great...

A 70+ year old man should never sound this good...

Made me laugh when I realized that song is about jackin it after listening to it for years

wait what?

"Open up your, open up your, open up your throat
And let time, all of that time, all of that time, all of that time go
I know it sucks that Daddy's done but try to think of what you want
You've got to open up your, open up your, open up your throat

Open up your, open up your, open up your, open up your
Open up your, open up your, open up your throat"

"Open up your, open up your, open up your throat
And let time, all of that time, all of that time, all of that time go
I know it sucks that Daddy's done but try to think of what you want
You've got to open up your, open up your, open up your throat

Open up your, open up your, open up your throat"

tumblr_n233owO53J1tv612ho1_400.gif

I still maintain Al Jardine is criminally underrated. He kills it on the latest album and his voice has such a great edge to it.

Three of my Jardine favorites:

This could be a modern song it sounds so good...

Kind cheesy but Al sounds great...

A 70+ year old man should never sound this good...

Totally agree. Al still sounds great. I guess it's partly genetics and partly because he kept it clean when the other guys didn't (maybe excluding Bruce).

tumblr_na5j0zWTl31sszfb1o4_250.jpg

I only know Pet Sounds and some of their early stuff, but I really like these songs. I haven't listened to them in years.

My black ass is going to have to hit this thread up this weekend. I've kept meaning to give the Beach Boys' non surf crap a shot for quite awhile.

Back