The attitudes of casuals are trickling into the hardcore fandom

Has the attitude of casuals about fighter pay, trickled into the hardcore fandom?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Trickling? The fanbase has expanded/shifted to a bunch of fucking dorks since TUF came out.

Loooool

The highest paying sport gets the best athletes.

MMA isn't close. No need to try so hard to be the dissenter, contrarianism is a failed endeavour.

Your assertion fails because triathletes and mma fighters are among the best athletes in human history.
Furthermore, triathletes and fighters have no compulsion to compete in professional sports. They can just be great because they like doing a sport so they get good at it.
Professional athlete compensation can be entirely unrelated to developed skill level.
UFC gets the best MMA athletes and has for at least 15 years.
Thousands want a UFC contract. Thousands more don't want to compete at all.
Major league baseball definitely does not consistently "get the best athletes."

Lots of holes in your assertion.

The remainder is ad hominem attack, which is fallacy.
Fallacy is the tool of the fool and has been for 2000 years.

If the purse fits...

Last edited:
... UFC should pay as little as possible until people start choosing other jobs over MMA. ...

Nah, that is not a successful business model.

UFC shouldn't do that, and they don't. They share the wealth nicely, and they coach fighters on ways to make even more money on top of what UFC provides them.

As a result, a great many UFC fighters end up set for life, especially the ones who are wise about building and saving their own personal asset base.

What doesn't happen is: 50 jillion for Jones!!
Because that would be a stupid business model.

Where are the large boxing promotion companies that create jobs and careers for decades for hundreds or thousands of employees?
Oh yeah, there ain't none.
Because three people take all the money and leave crumbs for all the fighters NOT in the main event.

waah waah waah.

I bought nearly every single pay per view from ufc 75 to 180 and have purchased pay per views here and there since then.

"I made up this generalization about hardcore fans, that has no backing in any data. I also completely made up the premise that in order to care about fighter pay, you must purchase pay per views. Checkmate"

Yeah man you really got me with that premise you made up, that isn't sound reasoning.

IF you care about fighter pay
THEN you must purchase pay per views

The premise does not necessitate this conclusion. It does not logically follow. It's just a faulty premise you made up. And it has no bearing on anything I said in the op.
You sir are hardcore

No one should be making less than $50/$50. This includes the guys in ONE and PFLellator (deal with it :^]).
Other than that, I don't care too much. It seems like a tough industry to stay afloat in considering all of the absolute FAILURES of companies that have come and gone. Tired of the disingenuous retards who argue like ONE or Bellator pay any better when many official purses are posted - and it's garbage. Only ex-UFC fighters get a decent check. Disgraceful. Some guys get a hate boner for Dana, I get it, but Chatri is a POS himself and Coker is incompetent (but he's nice at least, but that doesn't pay the bills).
fuck off, so a shitty fighter who cant win a fight should be paid $150k a year....get to fuck mate

Your assertion fails because triathletes and mma fighters are among the best athletes in human history.
Furthermore, triathletes and fighters have no compulsion to compete in professional sports. They can just be great because they like doing a sport so they get good at it.
Professional athlete compensation can be entirely unrelated to developed skill level.
UFC gets the best MMA athletes and has for at least 15 years.
Thousands want a UFC contract. Thousands more don't want to compete at all.
Major league baseball definitely does not consistently "get the best athletes."

Lots of holes in your assertion.

The remainder is ad hominem attack, which is fallacy.
Fallacy is the tool of the fool and has been for 2000 years.

If the purse fits...

Triathletes have gotten better as the sport has been monetised by sponsorship, YouTube, ambassadorship etc

Money improves even those elite athletes.

Though it's a good example, Sherbro, sorry for he previous reply I didn't realise how snippy it was!

Hardcore fans of this sport have historically always cared about fighter pay and treatment.

And it's pretty self evident as to why -
If you're a hardcore fan of this sport, you tend to enjoy some of the finer things and intricacies about it. Something about it has pulled you in, above and beyond the level of a casual.

Maybe it's the sacrifices that fighters make, maybe it's the courage displayed in the heat of battle (heart), maybe its a combination of that stuff and other things, but something has pulled you in. And when you have a high degree of appreciation and respect for what fighters go through, it's both emotionally and intellectually logical to want to see said fighters compensated and treated appropriately.

It is plainly, and self evidently, casual fans of the sport that don't give a shit about fighter pay. They want to see blood and violence. They want to see roided up gorillas swinging wildly until one goes down. Their engagement with the sport starts and stops with the entertainment provided by violence that is momentarily flashing on their screens. Of course when that is the extent of your engagement with the sport, it's completely reasonable to not give a fuck about fighter pay.

So can someone explain to me why the fuck there is a large minority of people within the hardcore Fandom that shit on people concerned about fighter pay? Often, these people don't even attempt to make an argument about whether or not fighter pay is good - they shit on the very idea of giving a fuck about fighter pay and treatment.

Here you are, posting on an obscure karate message board that has been around since the 90s, that is dedicated to the 24/7 365 discussion of mma and martial arts, talking about "why do you give a shit about what another man is paid?" Or "he's not gonna send you a check bro"

Like....BRUH

{<huh}
Do you hear yourself??

Have a look around you.

Look at where you are.

Have a moment of self awareness for the first time in your life.

Motherfuckers are really out here posting 5 McGregor threads a day on a 25 year old karate message board asking "why do you care about fighter pay?"

IDK MAN - maybe because my appreciation of the fighters goes beyond "hurrr durrr sweaty muscle man goes brrrr" *clapping monkey noises*

Do you not realize what a fuckin weirdo you are for being a hardcore fan of this sport and NOT caring about fighter pay? You are a freakish anomaly and should be regarded as such.

Dude we don't log on to this forum to have stupid debates with little cry babies worrying about another man's bank account. Don't be a weirdo. If you want your favorite fighter to get more money then fucking cash app him if it bothers you so much.

Nowadays everyone needs multiple streams of incomes, it's very easy for fighters to start up a youtube channel documenting their training or vlogs, or start their own clothing brand etc. The amount of money they generate is completely up to them. They need to take advantage of air time and post fight interviews. They can't just rely on little fat virgins like yourself to cry for them on an mma forum you know?

fuck off, so a shitty fighter who cant win a fight should be paid $150k a year....get to fuck mate
If he's a shitty fighter that can't win a fight he won't be in bellator, or one, or anywhere else.

maybe some “hardcore fans” simply disagree with your take on fighter pay. seems like a lot of zoomers concept of the issue is “bald goof need pay fighterz more, make big check like boxing.” anyone over 25 knows that the issue is more complicated than that. respectfully, i doubt any of these retards has any meaningful insight into the fighter pay issue, whether they’re “casual” or “hardcore.”

also, anyone who calls themselves a hardcore fan of anything is actually a casual, and a newb, and cringe loser.

You must not know what most of these fighters get paid. How about "fighting 3x a year for $18000"?

I really wonder what is the age and profession of the guy you are replying to. In no universe does an unknown prelim filler have a floor value per year of 150K just for showing up, nor a value of 300K per year for beating 3 other unknown prelim fillers.

These guys have no sense for business at all it's embarrassing.

All these casuals over here, enjoying fights.

Real fight fans bitch about things fighters say on twitter and cry about how much other grown ass men make.

I bet these casuals pay for ppvs instead of watching gifs and forming narratives before watching the actual fights.

You must not know what most of these fighters get paid. How about "fighting 3x a year for $18000"?
Low level fighters were quite happy to sign that contract. Per year it means 50K+ guaranteed and 100K+ if they win? It allows 20 something year olds to pursue their passion and dreams.

Based on what do you think they deserve more? How much do you earn?

The thing is most of the "hardcore fans" you see crying about fighter pay are literal clowns. I equate them to the social media atheists. You see them all the time on Christianity posts but none of those people would have the balls to do the same thing to other religious groups. You got all these bozos crying about Dana for paying new fighters 12k/12 meanwhile ignoring the fact that PFLATTOR and ONE fighters are lucky to get 1000 dollars and a god damn hot dog.

I really wonder what is the age and profession of the guy you are replying to. In no universe does an unknown prelim filler have a floor value per year of 150K just for showing up, nor a value of 300K per year for beating 3 other unknown prelim fillers.

These guys have no sense for business at all it's embarrassing.
its got nothing to do with business, its about what people are worth

people in this day and age think they are really valuable just for turning up, they point at the older generation of people and go "i want to be paid like him".

I'm in my mid 40's, i get paid well, but some of these guys in their 20's seem to think just because they have a bit of spunk in them they are owed something, but when you ask them to do something challenging or complex, they just fall to fucking bits.

They don't give a fuck what any of us make sir, but they're not watching do our jobs.
People care because they get attached to certain fighters and then realize they're taking Dana's dick in their ass.

That upsets some people.
The fuckin bonuses have been the same for like 15 years ffs.
Are you saying that the UFC can't afford better bonuses at least?

Yeah some fighters get some money, but more fighters get fucked over.
And yes they sign the contract, but it's not like they have many places to turn to since the UFC has bought out 95% of the competition.

There's issues with the system, and it should be corrected.
You're telling me Dana (who's never fought a day in his life) should be worth a half a billion, and guys fighting to put food on the table barely make ends meet?

Its fucky at best.
I didn’t tell you anything of the sort.

Back