The arena looks half empty/quiet

As soon as the main event ended...it's dead in there. Pantoja on the mic begging his countryman not to leave just yet. Didn't expect this.

Madonna was giving a free concerto on Copacabana beach to 1.6 million brazilians. The ufc was not going to win against that

1049813_5385331-01-06.jpg

I am Brazilian and actually was at the arena. My impression:

- Aldo is a superstar in Brazil and everybody knows him. Not everybody knows and like Pantoja and just a few knew Erceg. The arena was 90% full in the Aldo fight but some people left for the main event (which might have gave a sense of half empty arena). But I believe at least 70% of the arena was full during the main event;

- on the post-fight speech, I cant speak for everyone but I believe most people were trying to avoid the chaos that is to get back home after the fight. The arena was far from home for most people I think. It took me 1:30 to get home and it was 2am already. So many people trying to get a taxi at the same;

- another factor is that some people in the arena were fighters’ friends and family. When their fights ended, most of those people were gone. I know this is true for Borralho and Petrino and this might also be true for other fighters;

- i dont think Madonna concert was much of a factor to be honest. Specially with respect to the post fight speech. I believe her concert was over in the end of the fights and the arena was very far from there.

This was gonna happen for sure anyway. When the UFC decided to not put Oliveira and Poatan on this card, it was already dead from the start. Those guys are stars here in Brazil and things would be different with them.

the main event was between two point fighting manlets who aren’t draws. why would anybody pay tons of money for that dog shit card?

As soon as the main event ended...it's dead in there. Pantoja on the mic begging his countryman not to leave just yet. Didn't expect this.
The last time the UFC was in Brazil it actually was half empty, I remember commenting on it. I guess it's too expensive now? The price is outrageous these days.

“Brazil, you’re a dump!”

The fans still have PTSD of Uncle Chael American Gangstering Wanderlei and the Noguiera Brothers.

UFC has lost a lot of ground in Brazil after the Aldo, Anderson, Cigano era.

Much of the people don't care anymore, specially for a guy like Pantoja.

Brazil only cares about soccer. If we are watching any other sport is because a brazilian is winning/champion/big name.

As soon as he fades, the sport popularity fades with them.

Is normal.

Madonna

Dana should of rescheduled
That bitch did him dirty
Madonna wasn't there for their last event and the arena was way emptier. Lol, I know you were just joking btw.

Was empty all night. You get 1 Brasil card a year and you put the biggest fighter in Brasil on the event BEFORE. Alex should of never mailed the 300 card . Was stupid. But yeah if there was a free Madona concert that likely is what killed it.

Brasil cards the stands are always packed. Was strange

It definitely wasn't a sellout in there either.

Isn't Brazil's economy completely in the toilet? I don't think those folks got money for UFC tickets.
I went to a UFC event in Sao Paulo Brazil in 2019 and ticket were cheap I had vip seat met a couple fighters and it was only 550 dollars. I'm sure standard seats could be had for about a 100.

Worst fight card in a PPV ever? I’ve seen many better fight night cards. I don’t blame them.

I am Brazilian and actually was at the arena. My impression:

- Aldo is a superstar in Brazil and everybody knows him. Not everybody knows and like Pantoja and just a few knew Erceg. The arena was 90% full in the Aldo fight but some people left for the main event (which might have gave a sense of half empty arena). But I believe at least 70% of the arena was full during the main event;

- on the post-fight speech, I cant speak for everyone but I believe most people were trying to avoid the chaos that is to get back home after the fight. The arena was far from home for most people I think. It took me 1:30 to get home and it was 2am already. So many people trying to get a taxi at the same;

- another factor is that some people in the arena were fighters’ friends and family. When their fights ended, most of those people were gone. I know this is true for Borralho and Petrino and this might also be true for other fighters;

- i dont think Madonna concert was much of a factor to be honest. Specially with respect to the post fight speech. I believe her concert was over in the end of the fights and the arena was very far from there.

This was gonna happen for sure anyway. When the UFC decided to not put Oliveira and Poatan on this card, it was already dead from the start. Those guys are stars here in Brazil and things would be different with them.

Thanks for the insight amid a sea of stupidity.

Back