The algorithms are the real racists: Technology is "biased" too.

I think if you are too stupid to pass algebra (which my terrible math ass passed in 10th grade) then you don't belong in college.
College algebra is a lot harder than high school algebra though. I can understand people struggling with it. Had to take it last year since I'm going back to school, had to take 2 refresher algebra courses before that too. The difference between the intermediate and college-level course I took is that the college course is lots of pre-calc, dealing with the conic sections (parabolas, ellipses, etc), and lots of difficult factoring requiring the use of a bunch of theorems, and using more complex systems of equations like matrices. High school touches on those things, but unless it's an AP course at a school that can afford to have a proper program, you don't go to any real depth. It was legitimately difficult.

That's why I think intermediate algebra is good enough for non-STEM, as long as it includes a statistics course, which has tons of important applications in social science.

Definitive proof that Google (and all liberals) are the real racists:

Seriously though, maybe they didn't put enough black people in the training set. The bias is in how you select your training data, not in the outcomes that the algorithm predicts.

Actually... I think the problem is too many black people in the training set.

College algebra is a lot harder than high school algebra though..

How so? It is algebra. It is the same shit. If you are taking Algebra in college that is like remedial math in high school. I mean, this is not even trig but fucking algebra. I mean, that is not even polynomials.

logic is racist because you can't control the outcome when done in a pure manner. It won't abide by politically correct constraints.

Essentially it is 'unflitered' and would not be invited back to a dinner party.
Any model is getting fed data that probably had human influence on it at some point. Hypothetical: In the example you are responding to of crime records. If the computer is fed data from police departments that are disproportionality arresting blacks, the crime records will enter the computer biased.

How so? It is algebra. It is the same shit. If you are taking Algebra in college that is like remedial math in high school. I mean, this is not even trig but fucking algebra. I mean, that is not even polynomials.

You are wrong. You can probably take remedial pre-calc algebra at a most unis, but actual 'college level' linear algebra often takes calculus as a prerequisite.

Any model is getting fed data that probably had human influence on it at some point. Hypothetical: In the example you are responding to of crime records. If the computer is fed data from police departments that are disproportionality arresting blacks, the crime records will enter the computer biased.

Yes this is true in theory. Garbage in garbage out, as they say.

But, even if there was absolutely 'pure' data available to the system, it is inevitable that it would produce results that aren't politically correct in one way or another.

Most of what is passed off as "racisim" is simple social economics.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, poor white people are convicted of more violent crimes Hispanics or Black people

Poor whites (46.4 per 1,000)
Poor blacks (43.4 per 1,000)
Poor Hispanics (25.3 per 1,000)
source: https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

This fact goes completely against the narrative that the police in poor neighborhoods are racists against minorities--if that were the case you'd expect poor whites to be ranked last, not first, in the amount of arrests per capita.

The reason for the disparity in the amount of arrests, cop shootings, and incarcerations, seems more likely due to minorities being overrepresented in the poor population, not racists cops, or racists courts. Of course the corporate news which represents the wealthy love it when we blame it on racism, and not economics.

I answered this in the part you left out of the quote. Hey neat- that saves us both some time!

Is the effort expended to mitigate/eliminate every trace of unconscious bias and discrimination equal to the potential reward of doing so?

Back