The 2023 Heavies' Awards: Fight of the Year-WINNER: Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski!

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I will be your host for tonight's event. We will be selecting the undisputed, one and only, 2023 Sherdog Fight of the Year. Remember, the only way to measure the quality of a fight is by measuring the sacrifice to the just bleed god, the pace of the fight, how many spinning kicks were thrown, and how many nut punches happened (just kidding you guys know what to do).
1704839087536.png
Fight of the Year

Jamahal Hill vs. Glover Teixeira | Jan. 11 (UFC 283)
1704839498272.png

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski 1 | Feb. 11 (UFC 284)
1704839726638.png

Fabricio Andrade vs. John Lineker | Feb. 24 (ONE on Prime Video 7)

1704839771332.png

Shavkat Rakhmonov vs. Geoff Neal | March 4 (UFC 285)
1704839922046.png

Justin Gaethje vs. Rafael Fiziev | March 18 (UFC 286)
1704840202042.png
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Chris Curtis | April 8 (UFC 287)
1704840246805.png
Zach Juusola vs. Brandon Jenkins | April 14 (PFL 3: 2023 Regular Season)
1704840389826.png
Alexandre Pantoja vs. Brandon Moreno | July 8 (UFC 290)
1704840435530.png
Clay Collard vs. Shane Burgos | Aug. 23 (PFL 9: 2023 Playoffs)
1704840615832.png

Thanks all for sticking out another great year on the forum with the boys. See ya next year, and by next year I mean right now.

It's gotta be Makhachev-Volkanovski 1.

Irene Aldana vs Karol Rosa deserves an honourable mention and should be an option in the poll. It's definitely Top 5 fight of the year IMO.

Irene Aldana vs Karol Rosa deserves an honourable mention and should be an option in the poll. It's definitely Top 5 fight of the year IMO.
Also going with Islam - Volk 1. Battle of two of the pound for pound best. Pretty competitive fight with some of the highest displays of skill

I consider @Zebra Cheeks one of my oldest and dearest Sherbros.

That said, omitting Aldana vs Rosa is criminal, and overlooking Borschev vs Sadykov only slightly less so.

Both of those fights were way better than Rakhmonov vs Neal or Gastelum vs Curtis.

Rosa vs Aldana was one of the greatest WMMA fights ever, let alone this year IMO.

Nothing on that list massively stood out to me, but went Pantoja/Moreno.

No its not. GTFO with the kiddie participation crap.

:p, now that business is out the way. UFC sucks, only saw 3 of them and none really stand out as must see again. Voted I love Zebras

No its not. GTFO with the kiddie participation crap.

:p, now that business is out the way. UFC sucks, only saw 3 of them and none really stand out as must see again. Voted I love Zebras
You should watch the fight. It very obviously is.

For the official record, Irene Aldana vs Karol Rosa has more votes than four of the options on the list, and it wasn't even nominated.

"The final bell sounds, putting an end to a sure-fire “Fight of the Night” winner immediately worthy of “Fight of the Year” consideration. What an absolutely sensational firefight!"

I could not agree more, Sherdog!

You should watch the fight. It very obviously is.
Haven't watched fights in a month. Didn't even know there was one on last night. The lack of excitement has run it's course long ago. Just came here to push buttons... on the voting poll.

Back