The 2 Sides in Boxing (Blue/Red West/East)

J

Julius_Caesar

A lot of boxing fans like myself don't pick a side. They pick fighters individually based off a number of reasons but I've noticed over the years from mainly social media comments and YouTubers that there are 2 main fan bases in boxing. It was big during the Mayweather/Pacquiao era (Flomos/Pactards) and it carried on. Pacquiao fans jumped on the GGG wagon after Floyd beat Pacquiao demanding Floyd to fight GGG whilst a lot of the Floyd fans wanted GGG to face ward and want Canelo to beat GGG because it would make Floyd look good since he schooled Canelo.

Today on one side we have: Lomachenko, Postol, GGG, Kovalev and all the other successful eastern european boxers (the east). And on the other side we have Rigo, Crawford, Spence, Canelo, Ward and etc (the west). I personally like GGG more than I like Canelo but I also like Mayweather more than I like Pacquiao but many boxing fans cant seem to do that. Its either Pac/GGG/Kovalev or May/Canelo/Ward.

Obviously racism plays a huge part on both sides but its also political. There seems to be a big up rise in what some are calling Alt Right boxing fans. They seem to really dislike American boxers and have a big hard on for Eastern Europeans which is no surprise since many Alt Rights tend to love Russia and Putin whilst hating on many of their own politicians and country.

Its funny that during the May/Pac fight Mayweather was in the blue corner and Pacquiao was in the red corner. Crawford was in the blue corner and Postol was in the red corner in their fight and Kovalev was red corner and Ward was blue corner in their fight. Not trying to make out some type of conspiracy here but we cant deny there is a big East vs West theme going on in boxing now days which I kinda like. Would love if countries solved wars based of boxing fights.

Mike Tyson brought up the origins of blue/red corner in this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shitty thread.
Liking Kovalev, GGG or disagreeing Ward vs Kovalev outcome can be done without commenting to Mayweathers instagram some racist remarks or not being "alt right"

Shitty thread.
Liking Kovalev, GGG or disagreeing Ward vs Kovalev outcome can be done without commenting to Mayweathers instagram some racist remarks or not being "alt right"
Yes I agree hence why I said not all boxing fans. Is there a reason why your getting defensive? Are you one of them? LOL

I see what you're saying. I don't know if it's as much political as it is preferential to the style of fighter that you like, but I have seen the "teams" in boxing you talk about. Pac vs Floy is the quintessential example, of course.

I think it's probably more complicated and varied than what you'd think in terms of fan bases, but I do think that in the end, it's true people who tend to lean towards group A of fighters vs the group B of fighters.

I also agree when you get to team type things it becomes very volatile in terms of talking about them. Floyd/Pac was very contentious when you argued it with certain posters, but then on the other hand they'd be perfectly cool in another thread about another, less emotional topic. I for one, try to stay away from talkin about Floyd/Pac just like I try to not talk politics with people, especially ones that disagree with you on things. It's almost always an passionate argument from both sides and neither side comes away with much reflection on the other's points at the end of the day.

I definitely agree there's teams of fans in boxing but then again there's probably always been. Hell there's people whose favorite fighter is harry Greb even though they've never seen him fight lo

The east will conquor all. The west is a waning moon.

#EuropeanTakeOver

Brings out the haters

=)

Has to do more with ufctard vs hardcore. The Dana White fanboys really like pasty fighters, that's why they have a fetish for the HBO fighters.

A lot of boxing fans like myself don't pick a side. They pick fighters individually based off a number of reasons but I've noticed over the years from mainly social media comments and YouTubers that there are 2 main fan bases in boxing. It was big during the Mayweather/Pacquiao era (Flomos/Pactards) and it carried on. Pacquiao fans jumped on the GGG wagon after Floyd beat Pacquiao demanding Floyd to fight GGG whilst a lot of the Floyd fans wanted GGG to face ward and want Canelo to beat GGG because it would make Floyd look good since he schooled Canelo.

lol at this $0.10 armchair psychoanalysis. Sunfish just made a thread about this.

Yes I agree hence why I said not all boxing fans. Is there a reason why your getting defensive? Are you one of them? LOL
No, i just dont get your stance.
Dont label everyone under the same bracket.

Back