Media 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career

Didn't some girl bite her opponent to escape a position or a choke last year? Also, Mike Kyle unapologetically bit Wes Sims.
I don't remember a female fighter biting her opponent. You're probably thinking of Priscila Cachoeira who attempted to eye gouge Gillian Robertson to escape a RNC. She was unsuccessful and has fought in the UFC since then.

Eh this interview seems kinda whiney and victimy in a sense. Dude should have just called it what it was he got pissed off and freaked out over the repeated fence grabs and took a chomp out of the guy.

I don't remember a female fighter biting her opponent. You're probably thinking of Priscila Cachoeira who attempted to eye gouge Gillian Robertson to escape a RNC. She was unsuccessful and has fought in the UFC since then.
It's possible. I watch a shitload of fights and things blur.

I didn’t see the fight. Did it appear that he was getting tired?
No, it was super weird. He had some adversity early on, but was starting to take over the fight when he did this. He wasn't being hurt or put in a bad position.

The other dude was grabbing the fence to avoid being taken down, so maybe it just raged him out or something.

Still, the timing of it and thinking he could get away with it was just one of those head scratching things. Guy literally lost his shit, mid fight.

It will 100% define his career 😂 shit Paul Daley got permabanned from the UFC for throwing a sucker punch that barely even landed! You think Dana will let a known biter back? lol 😂
Well it depends on if he can afford to lose you. Conors bus attack is worse than Daley and bite guy combined and he didn't get in any trouble at all w the UFC.

Although having to fight against a pissed off Khabib was a punishment enough Imo

So. If your gonna bite people, make sure there's some money in it. Other wise don't do it.

It really looked like bite guy did it out of over zealousness to get the guy down w the takedown attempt. That is an insane loss of impulse control lmao.

I'm willing to believe that the biting was an accident, due to the positioning and nature of the fight. Biting would be a last resort, no way out type of situation. The guy was doing really well and was controlling his opponent in a dominant position. I don't understand why on Earth someone would intentionally bite someone from that position. It really does sound believable if he thought he was just biting down on his mouthpiece. You mix in adrenaline and getting punched in the mouth, you really might not notice some skin in your mouth as you're burying your face into someone. I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, it just sounds like it could be an accident in the end.

I'm sure if this guy goes on a 10 fight win streak outside of the UFC without any biting incidents the UFC will welcome him back

I don't think he should permanently lose his career. If he can win some fights outside the UFC without any biting or other incidents he could be given another chance in the future.

i hope he can box because his only avenue right now would be taking a shit deal from bare knuckle. who will undoubtedly make him walk to the ring in a hannibal lecter outfit.

if he can become the next mike perry then the ufc might bring him back.

He should definitely be banned for biting the guy, that was disgusting to see. At the same time I think some of us might watch a little more WMMA if there was a bit more biting, poking, grabbing, and gouging going on over there

lol this dude is blacklisted for life.

No, it was super weird. He had some adversity early on, but was starting to take over the fight when he did this. He wasn't being hurt or put in a bad position.

The other dude was grabbing the fence to avoid being taken down, so maybe it just raged him out or something.

Still, the timing of it and thinking he could get away with it was just one of those head scratching things. Guy literally lost his shit, mid fight.
Hahah. It had to be the fence grab then. Strange lol

I'm willing to believe that the biting was an accident, due to the positioning and nature of the fight. Biting would be a last resort, no way out type of situation. The guy was doing really well and was controlling his opponent in a dominant position. I don't understand why on Earth someone would intentionally bite someone from that position. It really does sound believable if he thought he was just biting down on his mouthpiece. You mix in adrenaline and getting punched in the mouth, you really might not notice some skin in your mouth as you're burying your face into someone. I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, it just sounds like it could be an accident in the end.
You notice human sweaty flesh in your mouth no matter what. That's why this biting situation is rare.

I would not let him back in if I were Dana. He acted like an over aroused pit bull that stupidly directed his energy into biting someone. What happens if he comes back and does that shit again??

Eff that. Everyone deserves second chances but that doesn’t mean his second chance needs to be in the UFC, and the UFC has plenty of fighters that would never bite someone like this guy did. Let’s move on. This dude does not belong in a cage fight. Blame it on his young age of 20? Fine, let’s see if he’s matured and in better control of his emotions when he’s 30.

Dude worse blatant fouls than this bite happen all the time. I'm responding to you because you're a consistently decent poster and seem reasonable. People have admitted intentionally and knowingly bludgeoning people's heads while they are knowing unconscious. A female fighter bit her opponent and wasn't cut, Wes Sims it and wasn't cut. Palhares held onto multiple legs too log and injured opponents before he was cut. There's been kneeing downed people intentionally and concussing them without being cut. Shit Conor beats up old men and Jones fires guns into public streets and beats his life. This was a fucking bite, not even a serious one....it's not hard to puncture skin, that looked about what 4 year olds do to their big siblings...not very fucking serious. Kids 20 and super talented, one of the best Flyweight prospects...UFC is filled with cans, President Slaps his Wife can calm down. Fine him 10k, give him a 3 month suspension and give the money to Lima. In my opinion he shouldn't even have been DQd, worse, more damaging things illegally happen and fights continue all the time.

Biting someone like that is not a good indicator of mental health.

It takes a certain degree of complete callousness and detachment to do that during a sanctioned MMA bout on the world's biggest stage. He's got problems.

The UFC doesn't really need guys like that around. There's enough nutjobs already fighting who aren't biting anybody to fill the rosters nutjob quota.

Back