Thank you JBG for Barboza v. Lee

You cannot use Khabib as a measuring stick to see how another fighter can counter the wrestling of his opponent. Khabib is on another level. Barboza actually IS a tough matchup for a wrestler. Good footwork, good cardio, leg kicks, etc etc.

Remember how he adjusted vs Dariush, he capitalized on the fact that Dariush used a feint jab to then go for the double leg. He did it once too often.

I'm not suggesting that any token wrestler can beat Barboza. But Lee is not a token wrestler. Quite the opposite. Lee is a very effective wrestler, and I'd wager he can probably do exactly what Khabib did.

I'm not suggesting that any token wrestler can beat Barboza. But Lee is not a token wrestler. Quite the opposite. Lee is a very effective wrestler, and I'd wager he can probably do exactly what Khabib did.
Lee favors blast doubles and center cage TDs over clinch work against the cage (which is what Khabib beat Edson with). He has decent clinch work but does not use it as effectively as Khabib. That plays to Barboza's favor and gives him more space to use his footwork and counter.

Lee also has awful striking defense and a weak chin. This is important to note because Lee does like to set up his TDs with strikes and often opens up the fight trying to strike. One mistake is all it takes for Edson to put you out.

Should be a good fight with some good trash talk leading up to it.

People easily forget Barboza has excellent Takedown defense.
Khabib is just on a different level. Barboza will ruin Lee
This! People think barboza's weakness is wrestling ONLY because of that one fight. Barboza has great TDD.

The sport of MMA needs Barboza to spectacularly KO Lee.

-Humble KO artist vs Mouthy Wrestler, best outcome story-wise is wrestler KO'd
-The win keeps Barboza as the perfect guy to be the door to the top 5 at LW. Reminds us he's legit, but the guys ahead of him are just THAT good.
-Helps MMA avoid the push of another cringe-inducing shit talker that we'd inevitably get if Lee wins.
-We need another highlight reel KO, it's been minute... well like half a minute. But still.

Solid fight regardless, but if Lee wins he has more reason to talk, so I'd prefer he lose.

Back