Temple of Doom is the only Indiana Jones film where Indy's actions actually matter

Evil Nazi is redundant. Anyway, Indy by all accounts was a shit archeologist.

Temple of Doom: Indy ends up in India and goes on a mission to recover a village's sacred stone. He accomplishes this, as well as rescuing all the enslaved children and destroying the local Thuggee cult. This is the one and only instance of Indy saving the day.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, the storyline is resolved by a magical device killing the evil Nazis.

In The Last Crusade, the storyline is resolved by a magical device killing the evil Nazis.

In The Crystal Skull, the storyline is resolved by a magical device killing the evil Russians.

In Dial of Destiny, the storyline is resolved by Nazis getting their plane shot down after traveling back in time to the wrong era via a magical device.

Indy didn't actually accomplish anything in these movies.

Whats your summation sir?

In Temple of Doom, Indy goes on an adventure to affect a situation. In the other movies, by going on the adventure, Indy is affected.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, he reconnects with Marion and begins to believe in the supernatural.

In the Last Crusade, he reconnects with his father and learns the dangers of obsession.

In Crystal Skull, he finds out that he has a son and... that's about it. The movie was fucking awful.

In Dial of Destiny, he reconciles with Marion, deals with the grief of losing his son, and finds joy in life and archeology again.

Couldn’t that be the point, like history and the unfolding of things are going to happen even though we think we can change it destiny is destiny.
In my opinion this takes nothing away from the stories.
Also
“It belongs in a museum!!”

Temple of Doom: Indy ends up in India and goes on a mission to recover a village's sacred stone. He accomplishes this, as well as rescuing all the enslaved children and destroying the local Thuggee cult. This is the one and only instance of Indy saving the day.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, the storyline is resolved by a magical device killing the evil Nazis.

In The Last Crusade, the storyline is resolved by a magical device killing the evil Nazis.

In The Crystal Skull, the storyline is resolved by a magical device killing the evil Russians.

In Dial of Destiny, the storyline is resolved by Nazis getting their plane shot down after traveling back in time to the wrong era via a magical device.

<mma4>

I watched Dial of Destiny recently and overlooking the woke female heroine thing I actually thought it was pretty good. Neither it nor Skull come close to the original 3 though.

indiana-jones-the-last-crusade.gif

Neat analysis. I'm not a fan of the series but your breakdown renders it more interesting. Have you done this for other franchises or other genres, possibly?

Temple is actually my favorite Indy movie. It helps that it’s the one I had on VHS growing up but I’ll still defend it otherwise.

Indy is at his most heroic, charming and humorous. It’s a fun movie from start till finish.

kate capshaw managed many different looks in that movie from boring soccermom, to milf and back again

Temple is actually my favorite Indy movie. It helps that it’s the one I had on VHS growing up but I’ll still defend it otherwise.

Indy is at his most heroic, charming and humorous. It’s a fun movie from start till finish.
Probably my second favourite after Raiders but I think its the most underrated.

I suspect what maybe rubs people the wrong way is that its halfway to Big Trouble In Little China, semi taking the piss out of the idea of such films by being partly a screwball romantic comedy but Ford and Capshaw pull that aspect off so well. You coule argue perhaps like Big Troubles leader/sidekick swap here its more that Willie ends up as both a romantic interest and also a comedy sidekick whilst Shorty is much more competent.

Yeah but at least Indy needed to be involved to save the day. In the other movies he could have stayed home and nothing would have changed.
Again though I think the whole point with the Indy films is that what starts off looking like an adventure which tests his competence ends up as a test of morals.

Indy's actions get the magical device. He finds the ark. He figures out how to get to the Grail.
Indy finds the Ark because the Nazis are digging in the wrong place since he has the headpiece. If he hadn't gone to Nepal, the Nazis would have had the headpiece, found the Ark and same ending.

Me to... visually it's by far the most stunning and creative. The set pieces, stunts, etc. are all way beyond what are seen in the other two movies.

I love Temple of Doom, very underrated. I give it about 9/10.

The Big Bang Theory called, it wants its jokes back.

Back