Teaching bjj to kids

SubCon Dan

White Belt
Reaction score
Teaching Children Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | Submission Control

Hey guys and girls. Just thought I'd share an article written about teaching kids bjj. For any newer teachers and experienced ones, this should help with class structure and mentality among other things. Its definitely a whole new world teaching the little ones, compared to instructing beginner adults. Hope you enjoy.

Thank you.

At what age do you start letting them do submissions? Our kids learn submissions right away. I first teach kids how to tap. How to recognize a tap. The importance of tapping. etc... Then, I positively reenforce when they tap appropriately. "Good job, Sarah. Nice tap." "Good job stopping on the tap, Joey." "Get ready to tap." "He's almost tapping."
This does require hands on and close assessment. Most people know I am a elementary school teacher. The kids safety is very important to me. Anytime a kid says, "Ouwee", I stop and remind them that there shouldn't be any ouwee's in jiu jitsu. If you are doing it right, nobody should get hurt.

Thanks again.

My girlfriend and I have had her son in BJJ for about a year now. he is seven and enjoys it very much. He started learning subs right of the bat but similar to the other poster tapping was focused on constantly. Anybody in the NW Houston area interested in putting their child in BJJ check out Art Alvarado's place.

11902 Jones Rd. Suite "L" Houston, Tx. 77070

My girlfriend and I have had her son in BJJ for about a year now. he is seven and enjoys it very much. He started learning subs right of the bat but similar to the other poster tapping was focused on constantly. Anybody in the NW Houston area interested in putting their child in BJJ check out Art Alvarado's place.

11902 Jones Rd. Suite "L" Houston, Tx. 77070

and someday you will tell him to do his homework and he will choke you out. :p

350jlvp.jpg

I wish I had a kid just so I could put him/her in BJJ. Cutest thing ever.

Hey that's one of my kids=) lol
We also have the kids learn submissions from the beginning, but we stress the tap just as you said, we've never had a problem. The author of the article is completely right, when the kids are having fun (Especially the little one's) The class runs much smoother. Adults have to learn jiu jitsu, Kids need to love jiu jitsu, that's what I like to think. The goal is to have all the kids graduate the kids program, and reach, and surpass my level now when they're 17.

Hey that's one of my kids=) lol
We also have the kids learn submissions from the beginning, but we stress the tap just as you said, we've never had a problem. The author of the article is completely right, when the kids are having fun (Especially the little one's) The class runs much smoother. Adults have to learn jiu jitsu, Kids need to love jiu jitsu, that's what I like to think. The goal is to have all the kids graduate the kids program, and reach, and surpass my level now when they're 17.

How does a kid graduate the kids' program?

Check your PM box. I lived in the Bronx.

By aging out, usually 13-14, or being to much for the other kids to handle. We want to keep the kid enthused about coming to class and learning. They'll get good of course and perform, and compete well , but Once they get to the adult class is when the fun begins, and we get lots of extra time with them.

I really like what I've seen of the Bullyproof DVDs, at least with regards to the Gracie games, in terms of being fun activities that also teach important grappling concepts. I was picking up pointers on fundamentals just watching the drills, so I'd imagine any kid who mastered all of the games would be pretty formidable (and that's without knowing submission one,let alone 101).

I'm not arguing against them learning submissions right away. Just pointing out a bright spot on the kids front, providing a competitive (and more importantly, fun) environment in which to learn basic BJJ.

It's good to see the overall positive response to the article. Patolino will hopefully be writing some more goodness on this subject, as well as other jiu-jitsu related content in the near future. His skills and experiences are definitely golden and need to be shared. If you have any questions for Mike, be sure to leave a comment on the article, as I know he would be more than happy to answer any inquiries.

Back