Teach me about Leandro

Cappy Goodtime

Hide yo wife. Hide yo neck.
@Orange
Reaction score
Forgive me if this topic has been covered, but I had a question brewing in my head that I was hoping someone more observant than myself could help me with. As Leandro has moved up the weight classes has he drastically changed his techniques, or is he still predominantly using the same game with the big boys as he was using at lightweight?

I would say that he wrestles a lot more now. I haven't watched enough of him to say he's abandoned his old sweeping game, but it's obvious that he now often simply does not accept the bottom and frames away to give himself room to wrestle up for the takedown or the back.

His guard game has changed a little, he's moved to more of a DLR based guard than spider as he looks to enter under into X, but other than that it's not much different.

I would say that he wrestles a lot more now. I haven't watched enough of him to say he's abandoned his old sweeping game, but it's obvious that he now often simply does not accept the bottom and frames away to give himself room to wrestle up for the takedown or the back.

He has definitely upped his wrestling game (it was non-existent just a few years ago). His passing is still as relentless as ever (the knee slice still being the preferred option), and his guard is still essentially impassable by competitors in his weight class. He seems to strongly prefer a cross-collar grip from the bottom (his older game used more spider grips), both for defensive purposes (framing) and for offense (collar drags, loading opponent into X). As good as he is at positional dominance & guard retention, he's still not known as a great finisher. Still, he will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

The main difference is his takedowns... At Brasileiro he took down almost every guy he fought.

Back