TDK RED BELT

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I was talking with my Dr Today and he was telling me how he used to do TKD, was a red belt, but stopped after he broke both his ankles back in the day. I dont know much about TKD as far as belts........how good or high of a skill level is red belt?

Like a Brown in most tma styles.

Last belt before black

The thing is that you need to know at what age he got it. Usually you need at least 4 years of training for red belt. But it's not the same if he had it at 12, or 22... A late teen, doing seriously 4 years of training can be a legit athlete/fighter... But a kid with a red belt is not something really impressive in the TKD world...

Last edited:
>belts in striking arts
Nice way for a McDojo sensai to make some cash.

Like a Brown in most tma styles.

Last belt before black

The thing is that you need to know at what age he got it. Usually you need at least 4 years of training for red belt. But it's not the same if he had it at 12, or 22... A late teen, doing seriously 4 years of training can be a legit athlete/fighter... But a kid with a red belt is not something really impressive in the TKD world...

thanks guys thats why i was asking, he was also talking with me about how I do muay thai, so I was wondering what skill level and knowledge the guy had. He didnt seem to know much about muay thai and seemed to confuse it with MMA. So I was just wondering like ok, am i talking with a hardcore legit TKD fighter who really understands martial arts, or a guy that just did some TKD as a kid......although when he said he broke both ankles, I assumed he meant competing.

thanks guys thats why i was asking, he was also talking with me about how I do muay thai, so I was wondering what skill level and knowledge the guy had. He didnt seem to know much about muay thai and seemed to confuse it with MMA. So I was just wondering like ok, am i talking with a hardcore legit TKD fighter who really understands martial arts, or a guy that just did some TKD as a kid......although when he said he broke both ankles, I assumed he meant competing.

Maybe he broke them landing kicks with the instep...:eek:

You get a red/brown belt (2nd or 1st kup) after 2-3 years of practicing and as already mentioned it is the belt before the black. Most people get it if they stick around long enough and aren't complete paraplegics. This belt level does not hold any major significance, since Black Belt means that you are now intermediate and before that you were a beginner. All this belt means is that you have been practicing for a couple of years.

>belts in striking arts
Nice way for a McDojo sensai to make some cash.
BJJ is going this route as well

Old gym I was at was a no gi school. Had peeps who were around high blues to purples. They've been grappling for years, medalled at tourneys on the reg.

When they got an affiliation, despite their skill gap they had to go through the whole testing thing, 1 stripe white belt and so forth. Each test costs $100. That's pretty McDojo-ish

You get a red/brown belt (2nd or 1st kup) after 2-3 years of practicing and as already mentioned it is the belt before the black. Most people get it if they stick around long enough and aren't complete paraplegics. This belt level does not hold any major significance, since Black Belt means that you are now intermediate and before that you were a beginner. All this belt means is that you have been practicing for a couple of years.

so its safe to say then that the guy is or was a decent skill level. Thats kinda what I thought, so since he did TKD, i figured he would know about MT, but he didnt seem to know much of anything about it, he kept on saying its like kung fu right, and then was mentioning ground stuff. I actually told him in these exact words, no, kung fu is a fantasy martial art like crouching tiger hidden dragon, MT is alot more like human cock fighting (@j123 o_O) you can grab a guy by his head and knee him in the face. lol......anyways he was a really cool dude and I was quite happy he had some experience in martial arts so we could relate over something but I just wasnt sure if he was a real martial artist or just did a little TKD. A olympic level TKD fighter is a dangerous man.

Not in the amateurs until after you get 10 fights :( :( :( :(

here not in the amatuers at all.

unless they duck into on their own, then its not your fault.

24775128_10215781118067312_5169050941304658169_n.jpg

24312775_10215781124627476_7316928622385134293_n.jpg

here not in the amatuers at all.

unless they duck into on their own, then its not your fault.

24775128_10215781118067312_5169050941304658169_n.jpg

24312775_10215781124627476_7316928622385134293_n.jpg
Them ducking out and eating a knee is on them, that's universal.

But damn, I always thought WMC had a ban on knees to the head til you became A-class

So as a 0-0 novice, you're allowed to knee to the head over there?

Them ducking out and eating a knee is on them, that's universal.

But damn, I always thought WMC had a ban on knees to the head til you became A-class

So as a 0-0 novice, you're allowed to knee to the head over there?

no, you can only knee to the face in the pros

So I was talking with my Dr Today and he was telling me how he used to do TKD, was a red belt, but stopped after he broke both his ankles back in the day. I dont know much about TKD as far as belts........how good or high of a skill level is red belt?

I'm a red belt and my level is pretty constant since two years back. Belts are just there to make money and give the guy experience before competing in the black belt division of tournaments.

Also, there's a shit load of hand techniques in Taekwondo before black belt. The first roundhouse kick in a pattern is next level - black stripe (level before black belt).

Contrary to popular belief, the combat system of TaeKwonDo is 80% hand techniques. It was marketed with the flashy kicks to get students, and the sport had too look different from Karate, so kicks were emphasised there.

If you train traditional TaeKwonDo, the time spent training in hands is often the same as Karate (depends on the instructor).

Last edited:
Back