Tatami Omega backpack review(ish)

lizliz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I just received my new Tatami Omega backpack, which is convertible to a shoulder bag, etc. It has a lot of bells and whistles for sure. It seems to be waterproof, has many more compartments than I expected (4 outside pockets, the wet pocket on the bottom, and then the big main compartment.) It is much better than any of the duffle bags I have used in the past or the Fuji Kassen bag(which I hated and should have returned). It's great for someone running from one class to another (ie BJJ then boxing, etc)

Things I really like:
The largest outside pocket (not to be confused with the wet pocket) has a bunch of little sections in it along with another internal zippered pocket. So you can sort out pens, protein bars, etc and have them all easily accessible.

There are tons of straps on the outside of the bag - so I can hang my gloves from the sides of the bag rather than on the shoulder straps like I did on my previous backpacks.

The main compartment unzips like a rolling travel luggage. So I don't need to dig through layers of gear and clothing to get what I need for a specific class.

The main compartment fits two gi without being bulky - this was a problem with my old bags. I had to really smush my gi in, then find a way to get my rashguard and change of clothes in there plus a water bottle. There is a bottle pocket on the outside of this bag, although I don't really trust it since it's shallow.

The wet pocket is perfect to keep my towel separate from my stinky gi. It can dry out a little and stay ringworm free :). Don't expect to fit a gi in that pocket.

The shoulder straps are cushioned as well as the backside. It's very comfortable regardless of the weight load inside.

Cons:
The zippers are nicely constructed but because they are sewn to be 'hidden' - the flyer often gets a little jammed up on the fabric since the fabric is sewn way too close to the base of the teeth. The more I use the bag, the easier it seems to zip and unzip so hopefully that problem goes away. This is an issue with every zipper on the bag. I understand though, that they are trying to make the zippers waterproof (at least the design implies this)

I don't like the fabric on the front of the bag. It's the plasticy kind that will probably crack and peel off after many washings. This bag may require a gentle wash and a gentle dry (I think, because of how padded it is, it will NEED the dryer or it'll stink like mildew when it dries).

Right now the bag is sold out on Tatami's UK site, but it's available on Tatami's US site. Definitely worth every penny and even better if you can get it with a discount code.

Back