News Tank Davis vs Frank Martin & Benavidez vs Oleksandr Gvozdyk PBC ON AMAZONPRIME PPV June 15th

I guess I don't see Gervonta Davis as a PPV quality fighter.
Gvodzyk? Its not 2016. Benavidez vs Gvodzyk is a mismatch.
This is the sort of card that should be used to build up a PPV type fight. Who is Frank Martin? Do you think he's going to beat Davis?
You guys are getting too used to paying 100 dollars for every fight with a recognizable name. This is an OK card, nothing really that intriguing. A bunch of showcase fights.
I'll find a way to watch for sure but not for 80 or 90 bucks.
Who is Frank Martin? Major indictment of your opinion. Actual fans of the sport love this matchup. I don't buy PPV's for main events, I buy them for depth. Gervonta is absolutely a PPV fighter, he's a top 5 pfp. Martin does have a real chance at beating him. Sorry, you don't follow the sport closely enough for your opinion to influence my love of this card.

Who is Frank Martin? Major indictment of your opinion. Actual fans of the sport love this matchup. I don't buy PPV's for main events, I buy them for depth. Gervonta is absolutely a PPV fighter, he's a top 5 pfp. Martin does have a real chance at beating him. Sorry, you don't follow the sport closely enough for your opinion to influence my love of this card.
Frank Martin a former sparring partner of Davis. He's fought no one and barely won his last fight. Sell me on the fight.
Since when does your ranking justify you as a PPV star?

Frank Martin a former sparring partner of Davis. He's fought no one and barely won his last fight. Sell me on the fight.
Since when does your ranking justify you as a PPV star?
Frank did struggle in his last fight. He looked amazing vs Michel Rivera (Showtime headliner), stopped Jackson Marinez (Showtime fight), and won the only time he headlined an FS1 show vs another undefeated prospect. Anyone who headlines a Showtime card is on the brink of making the jump to ppv's (especially as the B side).

Tank isn't going to fight anyone outside of PBC's roster. That's the reality until Teo is allowed to cross the street, or Ryan wins enough that the public demands that fight. I see zero interest in a Shakur or Devin fight (even though I would buy those PPV's in a second).

Also, I'm a high school teacher and was teaching. I wasn't aware Sherdog Forums had a reply time I had to conform to. I check this site on my lunch break and maybe one other time a day. I make no apologies for replying to you on my schedule.

Frank did struggle in his last fight. He looked amazing vs Michel Rivera (Showtime headliner), stopped Jackson Marinez (Showtime fight), and won the only time he headlined an FS1 show vs another undefeated prospect. Anyone who headlines a Showtime card is on the brink of making the jump to ppv's (especially as the B side).

Tank isn't going to fight anyone outside of PBC's roster. That's the reality until Teo is allowed to cross the street, or Ryan wins enough that the public demands that fight. I see zero interest in a Shakur or Devin fight (even though I would buy those PPV's in a second).

Also, I'm a high school teacher and was teaching. I wasn't aware Sherdog Forums had a reply time I had to conform to. I check this site on my lunch break and maybe one other time a day. I make no apologies for replying to you on my schedule.

PBC refusing to co promote isn't a good reason for this being PPV. I feel like your justification for Frank Martin being a PPV fighter is kind of weak. Many thought his opponent got robbed in his last fight. Its a good card but PPV should be for super fights, not just a champion defending his belt against a former sparring partner. I'm willing to bet the average boxing fan couldn't name 2 people Martin has fought without using boxrec. This card being PPV is bad for boxing, its going to discourage people from watching, unless they pirate it.
You know this is a mismatch. Not sure why you're defending its PPV status. This should be a fight people see for free.

I guess I don't see Gervonta Davis as a PPV quality fighter.
Gvodzyk? Its not 2016. Benavidez vs Gvodzyk is a mismatch.
This is the sort of card that should be used to build up a PPV type fight. Who is Frank Martin? Do you think he's going to beat Davis?
You guys are getting too used to paying 100 dollars for every fight with a recognizable name. This is an OK card, nothing really that intriguing. A bunch of showcase fights.
I'll find a way to watch for sure but not for 80 or 90 bucks.
Do you mean because Davis isn't good enough or not enough of a name to be PPV? I personally rate him highly imho but I know some people think he is overrated.

Do you mean because Davis isn't good enough or not enough of a name to be PPV? I personally rate him highly imho but I know some people think he is overrated.
I think in the right fight, he's a PPV star. I'd pay to see him fight Teofimo. I'd pay maybe even for Loma. For Frank Martin though? Nah. I'm not paying 80 bucks to watch Frank Martin get KO'd in a tuneup.

I think in the right fight, he's a PPV star. I'd pay to see him fight Teofimo. I'd pay maybe even for Loma. For Frank Martin though? Nah. I'm not paying 80 bucks to watch Frank Martin get KO'd in a tuneup.
Fair enough sir. I think he beats Teofimo, Loma would be a great fight although he isn't getting any younger.

There are PPV boxers … De la Hoya … Trinidad at one point … Canelo … Joshua… Tank is a PPV boxer in 2024 ….

Fair enough sir. I think he beats Teofimo, Loma would be a great fight although he isn't getting any younger.
I actually really like Tank Davis. Well, in the ring anyway. I just don't feel like this is an 80 dollar fight. Too many mid level fights have been PPV lately.

“For Frank Martin though? Nah. I'm not paying 80 bucks to watch Frank Martin get KO'd in a tuneup.
I thought it was a pretty good fight when it got signed, but yeah it’s not gonna be a signature win or anything, just hoping for some good action while it lasts. Benavidez fight interests me more to be honest, even if Gvozdyk is a total unknown obviously picked in the hopes he’ll be soft and easy to obliterate. The quoted bit just cracked me up

I thought it was a pretty good fight when it got signed, but yeah it’s not gonna be a signature win or anything, just hoping for some good action while it lasts. Benavidez fight interests me more to be honest, even if Gvozdyk is a total unknown obviously picked in the hopes he’ll be soft and easy to obliterate. The quoted bit just cracked me up
I had to go back and watch his last fight and he looked really bad for the first 3/4 of the fight. The shots he took from Harutyunyan he's not taking from Davis. Davis is occasionally a slow starter, but if it takes him more than 5 or 6 rounds to end this, I'll be surprised. I see no path to victory for Martin.

I had to go back and watch his last fight and he looked really bad for the first 3/4 of the fight. The shots he took from Harutyunyan he's not taking from Davis. Davis is occasionally a slow starter, but if it takes him more than 5 or 6 rounds to end this, I'll be surprised. I see no path to victory for Martin.
Well, if it’s that’s easy for him then hopefully he gets it done in spectacular fashion so we get a HL we all remember. Personally, I’m hoping to see Tank tested here. I must have missed the Harutyunyan fight, because when I’ve seen Martin he’s been pretty solid. Right now my attn has drifted to 140 where things seem to be happening. 135, not a lot of fights for Tank matter to me. Pretty much the Loma fight sounds like it will be really good if it happens soon. Not much else looks like it will really be exciting. This fight should be fun while it lasts.

PBC refusing to co promote isn't a good reason for this being PPV. I feel like your justification for Frank Martin being a PPV fighter is kind of weak. Many thought his opponent got robbed in his last fight. Its a good card but PPV should be for super fights, not just a champion defending his belt against a former sparring partner. I'm willing to bet the average boxing fan couldn't name 2 people Martin has fought without using boxrec. This card being PPV is bad for boxing, its going to discourage people from watching, unless they pirate it.
You know this is a mismatch. Not sure why you're defending its PPV status. This should be a fight people see for free.
PBC co-promotes all the time, hell look at this weekend. They've worked with Golden Boy and Top Rank. My understanding is it's usually Bob/Oscar that won't let their fighters fight on PBC cards because they know Al controls more of the market.

I don't buy PPV's for 1 fight, I buy them for the entire card. I didn't buy Devin/Ryan bc the undercard was insulting. I'm not the average fan, I don't know what motivates them to buy/not buy PPV's.

I absolutely do not know that this is a mismatch. Rewatched the Martin/Rivera fight last night and it only confirmed to me that Frank is a live dog. I legit think he's one of the most athletic dudes in the sport, though I'm skeptical he has the boxing IQ to beat Tank (but I don't know, hence why I'm buying the fight).

I saw Tank fight for free for years. Unless PPV's bomb, it's rare that a fighter goes back to free cards. I'm stoked for the undercard, and I don't see Bob ever letting Teo fight Tank. I'm not sure what other big name we're missing out on.

Good talk.

Last edited:
Tanks trying to catch him at the right time before he becomes something. Thats all.
If Frank fought Teo and destroyed him. Tank would never get in the ring with him.
And Benavidez is going to rip apart Gvoz.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GringoRonin
Back