Taliban spec ops unit annihilating Afghanistan police using night vision, other equipment

It's going to get scary when more and more of that oil money starts pouring into the hands of jihadis, and they actually become a force to be reckoned with, instead of merely a group of goat-herders armed with World War 2-era weaponry.

I've read a lot about that, my take on it is that there are two definitions of Arabs. Bedouins(in the past they were just called Arabs, I think it's the same in the Qu'ran), these guys live in the desert and are good fighters, Israel uses them in their army and they also did the brunt of the fighting when Lawrence of Arabia recruited arabs against the Ottoman empire. Libya and Egypt also created their early armies out of bedouins, they are good fighters but not very sophisticated, they're mostly illiterate, you can't train fighter pilots or even good tank drivers out of them easily.
Although Muhammad was a city dweller I believe, most arabs at his time were at least partly bedouin(even mecca or medina citizens had to travel by horse or camel and live out in the desert to conduct trade), and these were the guys that conquered the Middle East. Good fighters in general.

The other kind of Arab, the modern kind, are the sedentary middle eastern people that happen to speak Arabic because they were conquered but come from many different origins like Egyptians, Syrians, Iraqis and so on. I personally find that self identification rather weird, even black guys in the Sudan call themselves Arab(and oppress other blacks who don't identify as Arab), I feel it's like if Mexicans called themselves spaniards or Jamaicans called themselves English.
These guys were for the most part never known for being warriors.
During the middle ages they relied on Turkic or European slave warriors, guys like Saladin(kurdish IIRC) is revered as a kind of early arab hero but his army consisted mostly of Seljuk turks. The Mamelukes were also mostly turkic*.

*You probably know that but for these that don't know, Turkic is not the same as Turkish, it includes people that speak turkic languages, not modern Turkey citizens only.

Another problem is that, due to historical reasons, every Arab seems to think of themselves as a "general" of sorts. So it's hard to build any sort of organization, when nobody is willing to be a foot soldier.

Arab fighters are more effective in small skirmishes/ambushes, than large-scale fighting. Which didn't translate itself too well into success in the 20th century, when the use of a large military force wasn't frowned upon. But it is more effective now, that no country is willing to commit themselves to large-scale battle.

It is very true that you cannot compare Arabs who have lived in the cities for as long as they can imagine (and thus have become very dependent on the social organization of a city), to the rural folk who survive more independently. We are going to see the same effect in Europe and America as well, with city folk being less and less willing to take part in military action, and ultimately, less capable.

Wonder no longer. I got you. First paragraph of the article.

“The newest additions to the Afghan battlefield are fighters sporting Star Wars-like headgear containing Russian-built night goggles, American-made M-4 automatic rifles with laser pointers, and bulky telescopic sights made in Iran or Pakistan.”

Slow your role on that. The Israeli's are some bad motherfuckers too.

Yes but they had a huge inferiority in numbers and even an inferiority weapons in the early years. After '73 Israeli military hardware increased at a much faster rate than the Arabs that face them though.

I'm not that impressed tbh. They have no rules of engagement that they follow.

If you allowed any 1st world military that same advantage, they'd wipe out anything they wanted to in the Middle East at will. Guerrilla tactics always makes the side using it look tougher than they actually are until you realize it's the only option they have because they aren't nearly as tough as who they are forced to use it against.

Sure, but the Taliban is doing very well compared to other guerrillas too.

Arabs on the other hand, they all look too similar and they had far more time for direct rule and never really severed any influence on their own.

They have their own nationalist movements, Berbers for example resent Arab rule but they're suppressed by their rulers.
And this guy considers himself an Arab because he uses a turban:
_80025424_sudan_bashir_g.jpg

They have their own nationalist movements, Berbers for example resent Arab rule but they're suppressed by their rulers.
And this guy considers himself an Arab because he uses a turban:
_80025424_sudan_bashir_g.jpg

But their nationalist movements suck balls TBH.

I think arab is used like the term "hispanic" as an ethno-linguistic classification more than a more ethnic or national classification.

But their nationalist movements suck balls TBH.

I think arab is used like the term "hispanic" as an ethno-linguistic classification more than a more ethnic or national classification.
I thought so too but they're hardcore about arab nationalism. That bashir dude, the black guy with the turban, is at war with west darfur because they are not arabs and don't accept being arabized. They still dream of uniting all the "arab" countries, suppressing non-arab languages(in Syria they renamed kurdish cities with Arab names) and local customs. It's pathetic.

Yes but they had a huge inferiority in numbers and even an inferiority weapons in the early years. After '73 Israeli military hardware increased at a much faster rate than the Arabs that face them though.

Dude, in 67' the Arabs with a much larger force got put on blast by the Israeli military in the 6 day war.

No Rod, that isn't what he said. He didn't mention the 6 day war at all in his post to me.

He said that Israelis had an inferiority in numbers and also weapons (earlier on).

You said that the Arabs had a superiority in numbers.

You both said the same thing.

Back