Tai Tuivasa was never that good

To be honest yeah I don't dislike him and there is something to be said for "big guys brawling" in terms of excitement but I feel like the UFC have been too happy to play to that, happy to make HW mostly at that level were you can get such matches main eventing TV cards rather than spending more to maximise HW talent levels.

Look at something like Barnett vs Nog back in the day and it shows HW can be much more than that.
Yeah it never has seemed to live up to that era. Pride and into the strike force era was peak hws no doubt

in the UFC he went 3 fight win streak, 3 fight losing streak, 5 fight win streak, 4 fight losing streak... maybe it's a pattern? If he loses 1 more fight he might win 7 in a row after that!
Somebody that can see something behind numbers and stats. Genius.

That whole stereotypical Aussie beer drinking/messing around attitude doesn't work in MMA. It even catches up to a beast like Volk who took the decision to fight Islam on a few weeks notice and close to a surgery like it was a joke.

Someone like him would benefit from a move out to Dagestan where there's no drinking or partying. Only train, eat, sleep, pray, repeat.

But he'll probably keep acting like an idiot and fizzle out.

No, he just sucks. Look at Pereira and Adesanya for examples. Tuivasa is one of the worst fighters in the UFC currently, Amanda Ribas has more skill in her left leg than Tuivasa's whole body. It's not the age, Tuivasa is just not a good fighter in terms of MMA, unskilled.

Yeah he sucks, that means Derrick Lewis also sucks. Al fighters suck actually, no one is good at it.

He's 260lb with a big belly, he doesn't lift weights etc and has lost most fights he's been in that have lasted more than 5 minutes, I stand by it
How can you tell if he lifts weights or not?

How can you tell if he lifts weights or not?
He appeared in the media and said he didn't, might not be up to date information but I know for sure he said that somewhere whilst an active UFC fighter

It's taken two long years but finally he is out of the top 10. He was never an elite heavyweight. He got a gift matchup against Derrick Lewis, who has the power to win and lose against anyone in the division. Tai fought him at the right time and got all the way to a title eliminator with Cyril Gane. Imagine if he had gotten a freak KO in that fight and was the one welcoming Jon Jones to the division. His grappling has sucked all these years, he never deserved top 10 status. He's a brawler with zero ground game. Someone with this skill set would never even earn a top 10 fight in the lighter divisions.

The guy had a 3 fight skid previously and was nearly cut. The guy clearly hasn't bothered to develop a ground game at any point, but is tough as nails and hits hard.

Similar when he was punching from mount against JDS. I will be honest I don't believe the guy actually ever trains. I get the feeling he hits a bag and some pads 2-3 x a week and goes in to roll the dice on landing a KO.

he made a single attempt to get an underhook and then just tucked his chin to try and wait out the choke. He doesn't need to be throwing up triangles, but my guess is he isn't used to wrestling with a competent person of his size outside of his fights.

I don't dislike the guy at all,but it was annoying people putting him on the level of Mark Hunt, just cos he's a fat samoan

Yeah, that was always a bit questionable. Lol. Hunto is and was a completely different beast. Like a legendary beast, a mythical beast who played a very prominent role in JB mythology. In a story I have yet to write. Anywho, it was a silly comparison.

Most of the heavyweights are bad. Most of the hw can't grapple. Most are terrible strikers anyway

Tai being top 5 at one point was proof some mma divisions are regressing and this whole concept of super rapid evolution at every weight class is overblown. No, every ranked fighter today wouldn't automatically beat ranked fighters from 5, 10, or even 15 years ago. You're telling me Tai would have been a contender in the pride hw division? Fuck outta here lmao.
Pride hw division had way better grappling than modern era UFC hw

Pride hw division had way better grappling than modern era UFC hw
10 min first round and no cage walls rewarded grappling. The reason why grappling is harder is due to the current rules within the UFC. You bring back 10 min rounds and the ground game would become much more effective again.

They want fighters like Tai.

I don't dislike the guy at all,but it was annoying people putting him on the level of Mark Hunt, just cos he's a fat samoan
I've seen a ton of people saying he has an iron chin for that very reason.

It's like, have you seen his fights? He gets rocked and/or dropped all the time. Ciryl Gane had him out on his feet with a punch ffs, Greg Hardy made him do the chicken dance.

Assuming every fat Pacific Islander has an iron chin because Hunto had one is a thing on Sherdog.

Yeah he sucks, that means Derrick Lewis also sucks. Al fighters suck actually, no one is good at it.
Yea, he kinda does. Exciting doesn't mean skilled.

They're both fighting in the HW division where most if not all the fighters there have the ability KO one another. But when it comes to actual skills in MMA Tuivasa and Lewis both lack them, more so Tuivasa, Lewis actually has some takedown defense and sub defense skills, Tuivasa not so much.

You're the one saying all fighters are not skilled, I'm specifically targeting Tuivasa.

Yeah, that was always a bit questionable. Lol. Hunto is and was a completely different beast. Like a legendary beast, a mythical beast who played a very prominent role in JB mythology. In a story I have yet to write. Anywho, it was a silly comparison.
Yeah, you'd never see Hunt lose to middleweights or the Sean Mccorkles of the world. He was always elite.

Yeah, you'd never see Hunt lose to middleweights or the Sean Mccorkles of the world. He was always elite.

You'll never see Tai win a major kickboxing grand prix world title. The skills are just not in the same league.

He was no. 3 at one point, top 5 for a while and headlined many cards even comained PPVs shows how horrific this era of HW is

People were comparing him to Mark Hunt LMAOOOOOO he was Hunto whipping boy thats like comparing Mokaev to Khabib

Past it heart defect Struve
Harry Hunsucker <Lmaoo>
Greg Hardy <Lmaoo><Lmaoo>
Sakai <Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>
Lewis <Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

One of most blatant matchmaking runs ever

Gane was his most winnable matchup in the upper level since Gane cant grapple and even tho he gave Gane problems (LMAOOOO) and almost KOd him he lost

Reactions: Kb7
Back