Taco’s Team

Liam Harrison talks about stance switching in this fight breakdown with Andrei kulebin. IIRC he says something along the lines of how leg kicking him forced him to fight southpaw, although he CAN fight southpaw, most are not comfortable/efficient out of their usual stance. He goes on further to say Fabio pinca is one of the few that can fight both stances comfortably/efficiently. Something along those lines

This raises a question ill make a new thread about

Added the southpaw in that sparring clip to the tournament trip. Brackets are out and we should be able to get two fights for everyone.

3 girls, 3 dudes, and one other who has an mma fight scheduled 9/9 so he may or may not box. Taping, warming up and cornering 7 boxers a day is about 3 more than I like to do comfortably do on my own. The kid with an mma fight is one of my trainers so I’ll be leaning on him to help. I’m the only one I trust to tape hands so I pray I have enough time between fights to get everyone done.

sponsors came through bigly for this one so I’ve got 1500 bucks to cover registration fees, tape and gauze, hotel rooms, gas, and food for the weekend. If Sam ends up helping as a coach I’ll hopefully have a little cash to pay him for his time since he’d be missing work to come help.

Speaking of Sonny- here’s a video of his hitting mitts. This was after 3 hours of filming so the poor kid was worn out. Still, you can kind of see that bounce and movement I was talking about:

The kids only had one real fight. If we can get his work schedule sorted he’s gonna go far

Northwest nationals update:

I pulled Collin a week ago. He contracted Staph from cross training and sparring. I’m bummed but that’s the game sometimes.

tia is set to box that 2020 Olympic hopeful who fell just short at the trials.

One girl has a walk over, another is matched novice 132. My new southpaw Chris is matched and I’ve got a real green little southpaw Brawler locked and loaded to have his 2nd and 3rd fight this weekend.

5 boxers, hopefully everyone should get 2 bouts. My assistant head coach Sam is here to assist with warm ups and cornering.

everyone is on weight. Weigh ins tomorrow 7am which means I’ll be laying on the horn at 6:25 so we can get to the venue early.

Went 2-1 today. We also had a walk over and another opponent no show.

Jack boxed like a wrestler but pressure and volume is rewarded and he got the nod. His second fight ever.

Liccy is a hot blooded Hawaiian with good style and movement: she joined the team a while back and this was her first fight under our banner. We had a win over her opponent with a different boxer back in may so we knew what to expect. Liccy adrenalin dumped and gave away the first round but came in strong and easily won the best two.

Tia lost a split to Whitney Gomez. Whitney just fell shy of the 2020 Olympic team so we knew we had our hands full. We lost the first trying to decode her movement and figure out how to get inside. Won the second, third was a toss up. I wasn’t going to be surprised either way. I thought we did enough but it is what it is. Whitney is slick and it showed me that tia deserved to be in there with her and other women if her caliber.

appreciate it. One of my mentors is really big on the idea that you don’t fight between rounds. Three deep breathes, a sip of water, and simple instruction. If there’s time, have the boxer repeat it back so we know it’s in there.
I have never coached but I always thought to myself "wtf are these coaches thinking, not giving their guys space and air between rounds and giving way too much instruction".

Some of these coaches get way too fucking agitated between rounds and it's obviously counter productive.

I have never coached but I always thought to myself "wtf are these coaches thinking, not giving their guys space and air between rounds and giving way too much instruction".

Some of these coaches get way too fucking agitated between rounds and it's obviously counter productive.

There are tons of Coaches who do what they do to feel powerful over braver people than they are. Those are usually the ones who are over the top. Recently a student who is about to join my competition team showed his Mother a sparring video where the other Coach was screaming and being dramatic (while his older student who already has fights struggled mightily with mine who hasnt fought yet)...his Mother told me she appreciated that I wasnt yelling at him like that and said she even wondered how anyone could fight another person while getting yelled at.

There are tons of Coaches who do what they do to feel powerful over braver people than they are. Those are usually the ones who are over the top. Recently a student who is about to join my competition team showed his Mother a sparring video where the other Coach was screaming and being dramatic (while his older student who already has fights struggled mightily with mine who hasnt fought yet)...his Mother told me she appreciated that I wasnt yelling at him like that and said she even wondered how anyone could fight another person while getting yelled at.
And what about coaches who give 25 instructions between rounds? “I want you to do this and then this, and if he does this then you do this, but if he doesn’t then you do this instead, then we follow up with this…”

You fighter is gonna implement an exact total of 0 of those things, my guy.

3 matched today in a match bouts. Pressure lefty jack (3-0) going up a weight class so he can’t just bully his way to a win. My slick southpaw Chris is also up a weight class against a tricky glass cannon.

Lastly my Hawaiian chick liccy is boxing the daughter of a local boxing coach who runs a good program.

3 tough fights for us for sure. Big tournament next weekend too

You always have some info about your fighters opponents, even when they're novices. That's neat

You always have some info about your fighters opponents, even when they're novices. That's neat
Portland is a small pond. There are maybe a dozen competitive gyms gyms and I know them all by reputation, or have a good working relationship with the other coaches.

We all shoot straight with each other about matchups (in general). There is an understanding that we compete locally to get better and improve our standing on the national stage. We consistently have national champions in the youth division, but have yet to have anybody grab that brass ring, and win a national title as an adult.

A lot of close calls. A lot of guys who make it to the top five spot in the nation that can’t quite seem to seal the deal. So locally we work together, we spar together, we fight each other, all with the understanding that at some point one of us is going to make it to the top.

2-0 at the tip city fall classic, a yuge tournament here in the Pacific Northwest. My girl Sarah won her first open 132lb fight, she’s got a tough one tomorrow. Jack boxed like an asshole and won because Jack is one hell of a fighter while only learning to be a boxer.

The Aussie champ beat the Canadian champ so we get the Aussie tomorrow. I think they’re grooming this girl for the Olympics so it’ll be one hell of a head to mount up above the fireplace if we can take her down

2-0 at the tip city fall classic, a yuge tournament here in the Pacific Northwest. My girl Sarah won her first open 132lb fight, she’s got a tough one tomorrow. Jack boxed like an asshole and won because Jack is one hell of a fighter while only learning to be a boxer.

The Aussie champ beat the Canadian champ so we get the Aussie tomorrow. I think they’re grooming this girl for the Olympics so it’ll be one hell of a head to mount up above the fireplace if we can take her down

Id like to go up there for that tournament next year. Do peewee's fight there?

3 fights today. Open 132 championship, open 139 championship, and novice 125 championship.

my 25er and 39er struggled making weight. I should have been in their asses about it sooner, I was 7 days out when I realized they were heavy.

0-3 today. Tia lost to a 5x Aussie national champion. @Woldog owes me a proper pint for that one, it was close but we lost all 3.

my girl Sarah entered her first open division tournament. Beat a girl yesterday and then got stopped (but not hurt, thankfully) by a 10x national champion from hawaii.

my third kid who lost could of won. He’s often mercurial in sparring, pitching shut outs or getting clobbered without a lot of inbetween. Every time he’s boxed he’s been a monster but today dr. Jeckle showed up instead. Kid just couldn’t get any momentum. Winnable fight which is frustrating.

Attachments

• IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7025.jpeg
    IMG_7025.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2
0-3 today. Tia lost to a 5x Aussie national champion. @Woldog owes me a proper pint for that one, it was close but we lost all 3.

my girl Sarah entered her first open division tournament. Beat a girl yesterday and then got stopped (but not hurt, thankfully) by a 10x national champion from hawaii.

my third kid who lost could of won. He’s often mercurial in sparring, pitching shut outs or getting clobbered without a lot of inbetween. Every time he’s boxed he’s been a monster but today dr. Jeckle showed up instead. Kid just couldn’t get any momentum. Winnable fight which is frustrating.
sorry to hear bro
but thats great experience against good comp. as long as they arent hurt mentally its all good just back to gym for more work

any insights on the kids mentality what makes a guy so mercurial?

sorry to hear bro
but thats great experience against good comp. as long as they arent hurt mentally its all good just back to gym for more work

any insights on the kids mentality what makes a guy so mercurial?
I owe tia better. I saw a tactical adjustment I should have seen in the first. We made it and it was our best round. I was also running on about 4 hours of sleep after a long day yesterday so I was a little fried.

the other kid I’m not sure. He’s either a whirling dervish of angles, quick hands and combinations or he’s pillared up behind his gloves waiting for his turn to throw. I’m gonna give him a few days to lick his wounds then talk to him and see what I can do to better coach him.

Speaking of Sonny- here’s a video of his hitting mitts. This was after 3 hours of filming so the poor kid was worn out. Still, you can kind of see that bounce and movement I was talking about:

The kids only had one real fight. If we can get his work schedule sorted he’s gonna go far

That is such a slick thought through padwork. Never had coach doing that with me. Great coaching. Your student looks like he has a bright future.

That is such a slick thought through padwork. Never had coach doing that with me. Great coaching. Your student looks like he has a bright future.
Thanks man. Sonny has been on a work sprint the last few months to try and get a promotion but once he does his schedule will open up and he’ll be fighting as often as we can keep him matched.

the pad work is fun as hell for me as a coach, I love getting to move and “spar” with my guys this way

Back