Swollen finger joints

Dana_is_your_GOD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Allot of my finger joints are swollen and it's hard for me to grip. Should I just take a few days off and use anti inflammatories? I hear Jeff Glover had a similar issue and had to basically stick to no gi.

You're probably holding on to ppl's gi with a death grip so they don't break it. Relax... let go and regrip again.

Swollen joints and weak grip are signs osteoarthritis. If it gets bad there's not much you can do about it. Be nice to your fingers.

Last edited:
Switch to no gi. Gi is hell on the fingers. Take a look at the fingers of elderly Judoka and you'll start thinking more and more about no gi for the longevity of your digits.

Even for GI, you can use no-gi techniques. Under-over, wrist control, etc.

One of my coach told me that he continue to use grips but he doesn't fight when someone is trying to break the grip with the proper technique.

So if you have a cross collar grip and the guy has is two hands on your sleeve and he's going to posture backward to break the grip, don't fight it, you'll just mess up your hands.

Same thing with take downs, he goes for wrestling stuff instead of messing up is hands

Save those grips for when you have a good lapel choke coming in!!!

This has been by far the best therapeutic treatment for sore finger joints that I have come across. I came across it in a thread on r/bjj and it is Gold. Everyone that trains in the gi should watch this video.

One of my coach told me that he continue to use grips but he doesn't fight when someone is trying to break the grip with the proper technique.

This can be a great distraction technique, too. Fight grips hard right up until your opponent really commits to breaking them, and then let go early. You'll frequently get an opening for another good grip or attack during the time it takes them to realize the movement is unnecessary.

Back