surprised in chael

People have always underrated Chael.

People forget that he dominated Anderson in BOTH of their fights. In the first fight, Chael dominated 4 and a half rounds, even outstruck Anderson on the feet and knocked him down more than once. Then in the second fight, he dominated the first round, and then was outstriking and dominating the second round until he threw a spinning backfist and tripped.

The only times Chael ever really got demolished were against Jones and Rashad. It's quite clear that Chael's weakness has always been guys who will take him down before he takes them down. His bottom game isn't very good, and it's when he's on the bottom that he gets mauled. Other than that, he obviously has a long history of losing via submissions, but he seems to have improved in that area over the years.

Chael had never even been knocked down until the Wand fight, and that's the only time he has ever been knocked down. His boxing is very underrated.

Overall, he's maybe not an elite fighter, but he's a damn good fighter, and it's quite apparent that although he might never have quite been world championship level, he's always been an elite contender at the top of whatever division he's been in.

Rampage's TDD went years ago with his knees. Being overweight doesn't help with agility or mobility. Chael winning by UD via a takedown-heavy approach was bound to happen. His boxing has been technically good for a long time, though.

I am a big Chael fan, and honestly, thought he would tap to strikes in round 1. It doesnt matter how big/old etc Rampage was. This was an impressive win.

I’m not surprised.

Rampage was more than just 20 lbs heavier. He was 253!!! And it’s not like he packed on 30 more lbs of muscle. He just ate more and trained less.

Rampage use to have great tdd. His knees are bad and he’s fat and old now. His tdd is so bad now that rather than looking for underhooks and sprawling now it’s begging to not fight wrestlers and trying to convince the ref to stand it up.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaels a good fighter with some great wins. But last nights win was pretty predictable.

Last edited:
If Mir is in somewhat reasonable shape, that will be the end of Fedor. He is long done. Well done.

People have always underrated Chael.

People forget that he dominated Anderson in BOTH of their fights. In the first fight, Chael dominated 4 and a half rounds, even outstruck Anderson on the feet and knocked him down more than once. Then in the second fight, he dominated the first round, and then was outstriking and dominating the second round until he threw a spinning backfist and tripped.

The only times Chael ever really got demolished were against Jones and Rashad. It's quite clear that Chael's weakness has always been guys who will take him down before he takes them down. His bottom game isn't very good, and it's when he's on the bottom that he gets mauled. Other than that, he obviously has a long history of losing via submissions, but he seems to have improved in that area over the years.

Chael had never even been knocked down until the Wand fight, and that's the only time he has ever been knocked down. His boxing is very underrated.

Overall, he's maybe not an elite fighter, but he's a damn good fighter, and it's quite apparent that although he might never have quite been world championship level, he's always been an elite contender at the top of whatever division he's been in.
Interested in your opinion on Sonnen/Ortiz. What happened in your opinion. Chael says he wasn't gettin choked.

Interested in your opinion on Sonnen/Ortiz. What happened in your opinion. Chael says he wasn't gettin choked.
Looking at replays, there is most certainly some merit in what Chael says about Ortiz tapping. I think Ortiz either tapped, faked a tap, or just did something similar to a tap that Chael mistook for a tap. Chael then let go of the choke and ended up on bottom, and as I mentioned in my previous post, Chael's big issue is being on the bottom, especially when it's against bigger guys. So he gave up his back and got choked. It was a weird looking choke, but it was still a choke, and his face was red afterwards so I do think it was a legit choke.

It all happened so fast and looked so weird. It almost seemed fixed. But I do think it all comes down to some sort of misunderstanding where Tito either actually tapped and the referee didn't see, OR Chael mistook Tito's hand fighting for a tap and let go.

The most crazy thing about the fight was how long Chael stood with Rampage first round when Rampage was fresh. Chael was out striking him most of the first round lol.

I'm not a Chael fan by any means but I'm not surprised (motherfuckers) that he beat Rampage at this point. Chael is past his prime prime and undersized at HW of course, but he is still a high quality grappler. Rampage, on the other hand, has been shot to hell for years now. Funny thing is, it isn't inconceivable that Chael beats Mir/Fedor at this point either. The man is collecting some serious names to add to his resume via Bellator.

Rampage's TDD went years ago with his knees. Being overweight doesn't help with agility or mobility. Chael winning by UD via a takedown-heavy approach was bound to happen. His boxing has been technically good for a long time, though.

I thought Chael would grind it out too, especially when Rampage weighed in at 253 (unlike most, I did not think that was a good thing).

Rampage hasn't looked good for years. He doesn't look like he wants to fight, hasn't evolved his game much at all. So many of these older guys just lose their killer instinct, which isn't surprising after being in the sport that long. If Rampage can't get past a fellow old-schooler...who does he face next...Tito? lol

I thought Chael would grind it out too, especially when Rampage weighed in at 253 (unlike most, I did not think that was a good thing).

Rampage hasn't looked good for years. He doesn't look like he wants to fight, hasn't evolved his game much at all. So many of these older guys just lose their killer instinct, which isn't surprising after being in the sport that long. If Rampage can't get past a fellow old-schooler...who does he face next...Tito? lol

Hopefully strikers, be it wherever. Matching him up with wrestlers has been a waste of time for years. Just leads to boring UD's, since he's very tough to finish but nowadays easily taken down.

Back