supplements for bjj

triangle killer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to supplements so not really sure what I should take.

The main reason is to improve my recovery/performance for bjj.

I have done some reading and creatine seems like a good option as well as whey protein. Should I mix them together or take them seperatly? Also is there anything else that I could take?

I'd rather gain weight than lose it and have seen that the creatine can help add muscle mass and improve stregth which would be a good thing but I won't be doing any weights outside of bjj.

protein, of course. i usually drink after rolling. I felt alot stronger when taking creatine but thirsty all the time. especially after long rolling. but i have heard people having mixed results with it, so im not going to give any input on that.
really all you need is protein.

Experiment with a solid multi-vitamin and protein powder for your base nutritional needs.

From there try using creatine monohydrate combined with glutamine, taurine, and beta-alanine for post-workout recovery - there's more scientific AND real-world evidence suggesting these three specific compounds work wonders for recovery & consistent performance (formulas exist containing all 3 as well). Amino acids (not protein powders) during exercise/ training can help boost performance without spiking blood-glucose levels or adding calories to your diet.

Other than that, you really don't "need" anything else but these as a solid foundation of supplements for recovery & restoration, but considering other parameters of performance & recuperation as well as experimenting with different supplements is always ideal.

I would also recommend fish oil & joint support supplements if you're just now getting into them and you're grappling and doing MMA. Your joints will wear out faster than you think.

As always: Make sure your diet is squared away; you're getting plenty of sleep; and engaging in some type of restorative exercise as well which takes care of your joint, muscle, ligament, and tendon fitness & mobility. If you cover these bases, your performance & recovery will be optimal.

Hmm... we must be using two very different supplements... never had anything that tasted as bad as that SOUNDS (nor would I know if I had) :icon_lol:

Hmm... we must be using two very different supplements... never had anything that tasted as bad as that SOUNDS (nor would I know if I had) :icon_lol:

hahah, it was a (slight!) exaggeration..maybe.

Don't mean to jack the thread but I eat dinner after bjj is a supplement still necessary? I take protein in the morning after weight training and a multi vit and joint pills.

Don't mean to jack the thread but I eat dinner after bjj is a supplement still necessary? I take protein in the morning after weight training and a multi vit and joint pills.

Good question.

No, you don't need to take any supplements. Your body will absorb what it needs from the foods you eat post-BJJ or exercise. There's no merit in using supplements exclusively for post-training (whether it's BJJ/ MMA/ or strength) - that's just a marketing ploy popularized by the bodybuilding/ sports-supplement industry. I'm not saying it won't help, because it will. It's just not better to drink protein powder than it is to eat whole foods. It's a matter of preference and convenience.

If you're doing the intermittent/ controlled fasting that's become so popular (and for good reason) it's especially important to eat whole foods at dinner or for your main meal.

As a matter of fact, whole foods are of equal (if not higher) quality to help recovery. Just insure you're getting a good balance of quality protein, healthy fats/ oils, and/ or low-glycemic carbs.

Your supplement routine sounds pretty good, btw. I always recommend a multi-nutrient, protein powder, & usually fish oil/ omega-3s, & joint supplements for BJJ/ MMA fighters.

BCAA's, Glutamine, HMB, ZMA, Get Kre-Alklyn(no loading) instead of Creatine monohydrate.

I personally was using o.n. 2:1:1 pwo. its great for recovery. Im changing it up now cause i want to drop weight. im 5'10" 195-200 lbs. do bjj 2-4 x a week and run one day a week. i eat pretty healthy have started eating more veggies fruits and meats (chicken, steak). i just ordered hydro whey to take instead along with a greens supp. and green tea supp. and orange triad for a multi.
1. does this seem like a better plan to lose weight mainly fat and keep my strength ?
2. any other recommendations?

oh yeah i usually only eat twice a day should i be drinking a protein shake between meals or just force myself to snack. read the faq think im getting on the right track. thx for any advice except using meth lol

When cutting, I tend to ditch protein shakes altogether in favor of more fish/meat. The reason being that protein shakes are much less satiating.

Could i ask why? Does it do the same stuff as the quoted posters suggestions?

Creatine monohydrate has a longer case-history of being absorbed more completely (therefore, utilized better & enhancing performance better) than the majority of all the other newer, less-researched forms of creatine that continue to saturate the marketplace. People are just looking for the "new & improved" next best thing.

A great resource to learn more about creatine is Will Brink's blog/ site: The Brink Zone. Will Brink has been actively involved in the sports supplement industry (consulting for some big name companies) for ages and knows his stuff better than most anyone else out there, especially in regards to creatine supplementation. He has several blog posts & videos addressing several issues surrounding creatine. You'll find a treasure-trove of info on his site.

Creatine monohydrate has a longer case-history of being absorbed more completely (therefore, utilized better & enhancing performance better) than the majority of all the other newer, less-researched forms of creatine that continue to saturate the marketplace. People are just looking for the "new & improved" next best thing.

A great resource to learn more about creatine is Will Brink's blog/ site: The Brink Zone. Will Brink has been actively involved in the sports supplement industry (consulting for some big name companies) for ages and knows his stuff better than most anyone else out there, especially in regards to creatine supplementation. He has several blog posts & videos addressing several issues surrounding creatine. You'll find a treasure-trove of info on his site.
Ok thanks ill have a look

What joint supplements do you guys recommend for grappling?

Back