SUMO - 2024 Hatsu Basho (Jan 14th - Jan 28th)

i expect Hakuho to be out of sumo by the end of the year. it's getting worse and worse and the end game is clear. hakuho wanted to be bigger than sumo and he will be executed for it.

I've only casually been following sumo due to these threads but I know who Hakuho is and am curious about these developments. If he really condoned this type of abuse at his gym, he deserves to be disciplined but from what's been made public, the punishment sounds pretty harsh. Outside of allowing Hokuseiho to strike, burn and abuse other rikishis' ballbags, what exactly did Hakuho do to anger the sumo brass so they're now trying to make an example out of him?

Outside of allowing Hokuseiho to strike, burn and abuse other rikishis' ballbags, what exactly did Hakuho do to anger the sumo brass so they're now trying to make an example out of him?
if you're going to close sumo stables for bullying, there would be zero sumo anymore.
i'll defend hakuho the same way i defended asashoryu. there's a world over there that unless you are subservient to it, will just spit you out. hakuho, with 45 yusho, is a living humiliation to the local sumo potentates, and besides winning all that, he very vocally was coming for the leadership of the organization, perhaps for the very top. with the hakuho cup, with his mere presence, with having students that could one day be yokozuna, like hakuoho, he'd become an overbearing presence for the institutional world of sumo. uncancellable. and unacceptable.

so certain interested patiently waited for an occasion, and when the occasion appeared, they pounced with the highest level of possible institutional brutality.

i think hakuho's done.

if you're going to close sumo stables for bullying, there would be zero sumo anymore.
i'll defend hakuho the same way i defended asashoryu. there's a world over there that unless you are subservient to it, will just spit you out. hakuho, with 45 yusho, is a living humiliation to the local sumo potentates, and besides winning all that, he very vocally was coming for the leadership of the organization, perhaps for the very top. with the hakuho cup, with his mere presence, with having students that could one day be yokozuna, like hakuoho, he'd become an overbearing presence for the institutional world of sumo. uncancellable. and unacceptable.

so certain interested patiently waited for an occasion, and when the occasion appeared, they pounced with the highest level of possible institutional brutality.

i think hakuho's done.

Has Hakuho ever shown disrespect to the sumo boffins? Do you think it's just about him being Mongolian and that being unacceptable to sumo traditionalists? Again I have no strong opinion here and am just trying to understand the situation from more informed folks itt.

Has Hakuho ever shown disrespect to the sumo boffins? Do you think it's just about him being Mongolian and that being unacceptable to sumo traditionalists? Again I have no strong opinion here and am just trying to understand the situation from more informed folks itt.
sadly i think not being japanese is the biggest factor.
when asashoryu was on a tear towards the 33 mark, he had to go. and asashoryu's personality helped the institution. without him gone, i see him going over the 33 mark, as well as hakuho after. hakuho didn't do the good thing, went over the 33 mark, kept going, started to feel the constricting looks and at some point it looked like he dared the association to do something about it. i am sure he heard rumblings all along the way. and after retiring there was the sumo stock issue, look into that. and he didn't look intimidated.

so the powers that be could do nothing but wait for the occasion. sadly, the occasion came, and i doubt they will waste it.

It concludes with
He makes it clear that he is not staying as acting master after the basho.

Back