SUMO - 2023 Haru Basho (March 12th - March 26th)

@Fork thanks as always for the mention dude. You are appreciated.

In your opinion do we see this new (old) version of Shodai in May, or does he go back to having zero will to win?
such a tough question. i'm going to be the eternal optimist and say that yeah, in may Shodai will step up and have a good 9-10 wins. the capability has always been there but the will to win has been so weak. i'm always waiting for him to wake up, and THIS TIME it's gonna happen. i can feel it in my bones!

A year ago this basho Ishiura injured his neck, and then came back a few days later and probably made it worse...

...He was M5 at the time, he's now Sd90. That's assuming he even comes back.

Goddammit. I couldn't watch the matches this weekend and now it seems Natto's channel already got nuked again.

NHK gotta come out with a Sumo package or something

Be like Flograppling, they have BJJ on lock.

I love Japan, i watch anime and read manga, but god damn do they not give a shit about international audiences for the most part.

I think i mentioned this last basho, but after years and years of K-1 and RISE (the two biggest kickboxing orgs in Japan) refusing to let Tenshin (RISE) and Takeru (K-1) fight each other, we finally got it as Tenshin's last kickboxing match before transitioning into boxing. The hype was obviously huge, but when it came to broadcasting the fight they refused to broadcast it outside of Japan... like why?! A kind soul on here used a VPN, bought the PPV and then recorded all the matches at the event and then shared them with us, but why did he have to?

Back when Akebono was Yokozuna, they actually showed some of the matches on Eurosport over here. Now it's like they don't feel like we deserve to watch it.

I love Japan, i watch anime and read manga, but god damn do they not give a shit about international audiences for the most part.

I think i mentioned this last basho, but after years and years of K-1 and RISE (the two biggest kickboxing orgs in Japan) refusing to let Tenshin (RISE) and Takeru (K-1) fight each other, we finally got it as Tenshin's last kickboxing match before transitioning into boxing. The hype was obviously huge, but when it came to broadcasting the fight they refused to broadcast it outside of Japan... like why?! A kind soul on here used a VPN, bought the PPV and then recorded all the matches at the event and then shared them with us, but why did he have to?

Back when Akebono was Yokozuna, they actually showed some of the matches on Eurosport over here. Now it's like they don't feel like we deserve to watch it.

Yup this is entirely on brand for how Japan views outsiders viewing their own products.
Millions of dollars? I guess but could you be more like us? No. Well fuck you

eurosport is how i fell for sumo, like 20 years ago. i remember i watched every basho during the Asashoryu era and until Hakuho made Yokozuna, and then they just stopped broadcasting it. literally could not watch anything until streaming came about and became a normal thing. i was just a sumo reader for years.

Last edited:
eurosport is how i fell for sumo, like 20 years ago. i remember i watched every basho during the Asashoryu era and until Hakuho made Yokozuna, and then they just stopped broadcasting it. literally could not watch anything until streaming came about and became a normla thing. i was just a sumo reader for years.

It's sad that for whatever reason they just don't care about the rest of the world, but it is what it is. Sumo Paris has a lot of the old matches from Eurosport.

https://www.youtube.com/@SumoParis

I obviously got a glimpse of it on Eurosport when i was a kid in the 90s because i remembered watching sumo at some point, i just didn't remember how until recently. I always wondered why i shouted HAKKEYOI!!!! when people were fighting at school, it all makes sense now.

so great to hear other people got into sumo through Eurosport too. the first place i watched isumo was on Eurosport in Switzerland. i still really remember the voice of the german commentator guy.

I know it's a mostly friendly affair, but man am i glad i got to watch
Kawazoe
vs
Ochiai

Friends, Wakatakakage had ACL surgery, he will be out for 8 months while he heals. looking at a January return which would put him around Makushita 40 or possibly March which would land him in Sandanme (shout out to Twitter: Tim Sumo for this time table/Banzuke prediction)
This is Wakatakadepressingkage

Last edited:
Back