Sullivan Barrera Furious: I Should Be Fighting Bivol For WBA Title!

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
When Andre Ward recently retired it opened up the WBA, WBO and IBF light heavyweight titles and when Badou Jack vacated his WBA "regular" title the division became even more wide open.

Red hot contender Sullivan Barrera was very confident that he would get a shot at one of the vacant belts. So naturally his jaw dropped when he heard that Dmitry Bivol would face Trent Broadhurst for the vacant WBA title on November 4th.

"I should be fighting Bivol. He is ranked number 1 and I am number 2. What is the point of the rankings if they won't follow their rules?" Said an incredulous Barrera.

sullivan-barrera_6.jpg

There is no point to any of it. They make up their "rules" as the go along to maximize sanctioning fees.

The only way this will stop is if high-profile fighters stop paying these clowns for their trinket belts.

Dude, you're probably the first person in history to start 2 threads in 2 days about dmitry bivol.

He's right that he's the #2 contender, but I think that Bivol was promoted from interim to regular title status. They're just throwing him htis guy to make it look official.

He's right that he's the #2 contender, but I think that Bivol was promoted from interim to regular title status. They're just throwing him htis guy to make it look official.

I was gonna say, Barrera is next in line and this Trent guy is clear down at #11.

What about beterbiev?

He isn't ranked by the WBA, though he should be, since he's (likely) fighting for the vacant IBF world title against Enrico Koelling in November. Here are the current WBA rankings.

1 DMITRY BIVOL INTERIM CHAMP RUS
2 SULLIVAN BARRERA CUB
3 OLEKSANDR GVOZDYK UKR
4 KARO MURAT ARM
5 SERGEY KOVALEV RUS
6 SHEFAT ISUFI SRB
7 JOE SMITH JR USA
8 FELIX VALERA DOM
9 MARCUS BROWNE USA
10 NATHAN CLEVERLY GBR
11 TRENT BROADHURST AUS
12 MIKE LEE USA
13 JUERGEN BRAEHMER GER
14 BLAKE CAPARELLO OCEANIA AUS
15 EGOR MEKHONTSEV RUS

Beterbiev is ranked #5 by both the WBO and WBC though

Last edited:
Too bad it isn't Barrera. That would be a lot more interesting.

Back