Subs from a standing underhook

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey so, when I'm doing some randori and I have a good deep underhook along with pushing them up against the wall, I can feel it. There should be some sort of shoulder pin, and standing kimura/chicken wing I can do. If you understand what I'm getting at, could you help me out please?

Last edited:
You can use a further/crossface underhook to put forearm pressure on their neck. Or lock up a pinch headlock with forehead pressure.

Also very strong positions for throwing knees.

You can use a further/crossface underhook to put forearm pressure on their neck. Or lock up a pinch headlock with forehead pressure.

Also very strong positions for throwing knees.
Awesome, just looked up the pinch headlock, and it looks very intuitive to me! Now the cross face you are talking about is where the forearm is pushing against the same side of the neck as the underhook is on right? Like Thais do sometimes before throwing a knee?
Blank+_82bb21e2987497cf8fd48f3233795a33.jpg

Last edited:
Now the cross face you are talking about is where the forearm is pushing against the same side of the neck as the underhook is on right? Like Thais do sometimes before throwing a knee?

That's right, i talk about it in larger detail in this thread here.

Hey so, when I'm doing some randori and I have a good deep underhook along with pushing them up against the wall, I can feel it. There should be some sort of shoulder pin, and standing kimura/chicken wing I can do. If you understand what I'm getting at, could you help me out please?
If you don't want to snap them down with a cow catcher style front headlock to guillotine, there is a cool shoulder lock with the underhook that Rafa Mendes uses a lot. You have to either roll or get your shoulder or elbow jacked up.

He does it at the end here and I tried to find a couple of him using it in sparring

That's right, i talk about it in larger detail in this thread here.
Oh shit! I misunderstood what you meant actually. I was thinking the arm that isn't underhooking gets its forearm placed on the opponent's face, So that both my arms are occupied. The further is way better looking though. Fucking sweet advice man!
Legend+_df879e6b378aeb79f643b1a8e136c6af.gif

If you don't want to snap them down with a cow catcher style front headlock to guillotine, there is a cool shoulder lock with the underhook that Rafa Mendes uses a lot. You have to either roll or get your shoulder or elbow jacked up.

He does it at the end here and I tried to find a couple of him using it in sparring

Great! Thank you! Will test it out and try to implement it as soon as possible.

They call that the reinforced underhook.

You can definitely roll for the leg from there. You have less support than you would if you had an overhook, less to hang onto and so you'd have to be more confident in your ability to execute the roll smoothly. But I actually liked the underhook better than the overhook in a lot of ways. Landed in a tighter position, I felt, and often in position for an Achilles, which I preferred over the kneebar anyway.

Back