Submissions 101: Your opinion.

i like it, I'm in school full time and work two jobs. Haven't been to my MMA club in about 7 months. I enjoy any tips and tutorials I can get

Last night I was talking to two white belts and they brought up submissions101.com and said they didn't really like the videos.

I asked them if they thought Ari was a BJJ black belt. They said they hadn't really thought about it but they'd assumed since he was wearing a black belt and teaching BJJ moves.

I told them he's a JJJ black belt.

They asked, then why is he in a BJJ gi?

I said he just likes the brand.

But isn't he sponsored by Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Gear?

Well, yeah...

And why is Eddie Bravo all over his site?

They just did a seminar and got an affiliation.

I told them, listen, if you really look around his site you can figure out that he's a JJJ guy. He doesn't even train under a BJJ instructor or have a rank in BJJ.

They just looked at me incredulously and said "Come on, seriously..." and wondered how far he could go associating himself with BJJ and still fall back on "just doing JJJ".

i like it, I'm in school full time and work two jobs. Haven't been to my MMA club in about 7 months. I enjoy any tips and tutorials I can get

Even if the tips and tutorials are flawed and demonstrate poor technique?

I cant say that im surprised. I just happened to lurk over at their website the other day and man, they sure do have a faithful cult following.

if you are taking tips from that website you need to find a new mma gym

I cant say that im surprised. I just happened to lurk over at their website the other day and man, they sure do have a faithful cult following.

I think the following on that site is a sign of the failure of this one. Too many new people ask simple questions on this board and get a dick head response.

A noob has to choose.

Come here and get advice from guys who know what they're doing, but don't remember what it's like to be a beginner...

Or go there and get potentially bad advice from nice guys.

I think the following on that site is a sign of the failure of this one. Too many new people ask simple questions on this board and get a dick head response.

I agree.

I was watching a Subs 101 vid yesterday. It's pretty ridiculous that the guy teaching wears a pimped out yellow BJJ gi with a black belt and doesn't even seem to compete in BJJ. There was even a banner in the background with the slogan "Represent your Roots". :rolleyes:

First of all let me start by saying that I have trained in jujutsu and aikibujutsu. The training I got there for groundfighting was useless. Infact I would place money on me beating my old instructor now.
It could also be misleading for beginers who see the site and think they are bjj blackbelts.
I also feel that there are alot better resources out there now.
However, all in all, if these guys are doing it for free I find it hard to dislike them for it.
*edit* just saw there disclaimer, cant really argue against them now.

First of all let me start by saying that I have trained in jujutsu and aikibujutsu. The training I got there for groundfighting was useless. Infact I would place money on me beating my old instructor now.
It could also be misleading for beginers who see the site and think they are bjj blackbelts.
I also feel that there are alot better resources out there now.
However, all in all, if these guys are doing it for free I find it hard to dislike them for it.
*edit* just saw there disclaimer, cant really argue against them now.

Some truth. As I said earlier, Mods, this should be stickied. Reason being is that when we get newcomers to the forum, and our art, they will easily be able to see what the deal is with Submissions 101, since they Omit certain truths themselves. They have posted a disclaimer link on their homepage, but they havent put the actual disclaimer at the beginning of their videos per the suggestion of several Sherdog forum members.

I feel that by having a stickied thread here, when someone new comes and wants to know about Submissions 101, instead of searching the forums about them (most newbies wouldnt search because they will automatically assume that the Submissions 101 guys are BJJ Blackbelts), there will be a sticked thread right at the top of the page, so they know exactly what they are getting into before getting to serious about the Submissions 101 site, or its videos on youtube.

Just my .2 cents.

Some truth. As I said earlier, Mods, this should be stickied. Reason being is that when we get newcomers to the forum, and our art, they will easily be able to see what the deal is with Submissions 101, since they Omit certain truths themselves. They have posted a disclaimer link on their homepage, but they havent put the actual disclaimer at the beginning of their videos per the suggestion of several Sherdog forum members.

I feel that by having a stickied thread here, when someone new comes and wants to know about Submissions 101, instead of searching the forums about them (most newbies wouldnt search because they will automatically assume that the Submissions 101 guys are BJJ Blackbelts), there will be a sticked thread right at the top of the page, so they know exactly what they are getting into before getting to serious about the Submissions 101 site, or its videos on youtube.

Just my .2 cents.

I dont think that matters. Stickying the thread says that Submission 101 is worth our attention.

It isn't.

Try making this forum better, as opposed to bashing another one. This thread should be buried.

"your at a freinds house and he is mugging you cause he wants crack"
god damnit i came a little to close spitting pop all on my laptop hahhahaha

You're going to crawl in through the window because he's probably locked his door. Now, the first thing i'm gonna do is get wrist control *whips out gun*....complete control hahahahaha

Back