students training elsewhere

Habs fan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I find more and more on the Internet more coaches are saying they have no problem their students training somewere else and even leaving their club all together. Basically saying there not control freaks that try to control their students and have the maturity to deal with students leaving. Yet from my real world experience I find most instructors getting upset if student leaves. I have one friend that runs a club bad mouth a former student that left to presume his dream to run his own club. Like to know has anybody ever leave a club and have their former instructor be completely cool and supportive if it.

Lol.
That is why it better to watch what people do instead of what they say.

Bottom line. For my old instructor, you are a creonte for leaving him but anyone joining him is not creonte.

He already creonte his own instructor and swap about a few affiliation already.

Like to know has anybody ever leave a club and have their former instructor be completely cool and supportive if it.

Good instructors will never have a problem with a student training in two schools or choosing to leave their school. Some students do come back over time to retrain. In my opinion, if an instructor is getting upset about you leaving or also training in another school, he/she is not a good instructor to learn from or stay with. To me this shows a sign of immaturity and an unhealthy training environment. Bad mouthing a former student is a clear sign of a weak instructor. So are those who badmouth current students in front of others in class. There are also the worthless (shit) instructor who makes a student give up his belt if he loses a match to a lower ranking student. Never taking into account age and weight. It also has to do with the instructor losing money on students who leave.

It is your journey, and you are the one paying for it. It should fit your needs and not someone else’s. I’ve had 5 instructors total in 3 different arts. None of them had an issue with this question. They wanted what was best for me and what made me happy. There are probably more bad schools and instructors out there than good ones. Do your homework and research a school prior to joining it. Go through their trial period before you decide to sign a contract. A good school should have a somewhat similar number of lower, middle, and high ranking students present.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back