Strikers who got dropped by grapplers because they were too busy thinking about the takedown

Ellenberger dropped Condit with a TD fake into a hook.

Does Weidman vs Silva count?
Silva already stuffed his takedowns and was fighting comfortably on the feet so no. He just got caught by a very tricky and slick combination.

Watch Mir/Kongo. Mir actually talked about it afterward. He level changed and Kongo drops his hands because he's paranoid about being on the mat with Mir. Mir throws the overhand left and blasts Komgo with it. If you watch it, probably the textbook example of what TS is saying. Sorry, on my phone and too lazy to search for the GIF.

It's a good move. In MMA, striking combos should be mixed with takedowns at least sometimes. Completely changes the game.

Wonderboy vs Woodley definitely

Woodley-and-Thompson.jpg
Woodley is an all round complete fighter though.

Uriah Faber was amazing at using his takedown threat to land the overhand right.

Tyronë Wöödley is a striker. Has some of the fastest & most powerful hands in the UFC right now. Tommyboy hardly got "dropped by a grappler because he was too busy thinking about the takedown." He got dropped by one of the best strikers in the UFC, and the takedown threat was probably a contributing factor in why he got hit. But it wasn't the primary factor.
several of the examples in this thread are similary wrong. hendo wasn't much of a wrestler by the time he KOd shogun. couture got silva off a kick, not the feint of the td (and let's remember that most of his wrestling combined clinch work with dirty boxing--not pure striking). gonzaga doesn't have great wrestling relative to crocop's tdd. and gsp has very good striking (yet didn't drop many people, did he?). and cormier mixes dirty boxing with his striking with fucks with a lot of people. it's a bit more complicated imo

Tyronë Wöödley is a striker. Has some of the fastest & most powerful hands in the UFC right now. Tommyboy hardly got "dropped by a grappler because he was too busy thinking about the takedown." He got dropped by one of the best strikers in the UFC, and the takedown threat was probably a contributing factor in why he got hit. But it wasn't the primary factor.

Tyron is that you?

I know he didnt get dropped but aldo mendes is the perfect example of this

not an excuse. Khabib demolished conor and I'm happy about it. its just so hilarious how conor was so confident that he didnt need to worry about khabib's striking nd he gets dropped
its not about confidence, its about lack of skills at mma. he cant deal with TD threat and KO threat at the same time.

Werdum almost KO'd Overeem when he still had PATHETIC tier striking in Strikeforce. The only reason he didn't KO him is because he was frightened of trying due to Reem's striking cred? I don't know, but Reem was legit just trying to K-1 cover up like he had big gloves.

Woodley just has better stand up than Wonderboy. Maybe not as dynamic but he has way more striking prowess

Back