Stomps are illegal but...

raw

You can but nobody is going to have their hand down like that for a long time. There is also the grounded opponent rule. You aren't allowed to stomp a grounded opponent.

You can but nobody is going to have their hand down like that for a long time. There is also the grounded opponent rule. You aren't allowed to stomp a grounded opponent.
So if fighters are in a clinch like Usman vs Masvidal you can stomp the foot. But in a case like this you can't stomp the hand because he is a grounded opponent?
1714268642933.png
So what about a state where they have one hand down and that means you aren't grounded? Is it only illegal to stomp the hand if they are grounded? What if in the above type scenario if you stomped his foot? Is that now illegal because he is grounded?

As long as your not hitting the head ...of a grounded opponent with your kicks or knees or stomps... everything else is legal...

People should start stomping on hands When your opponent is doing the AlJO..

Could also just punch the shit out of them too with uppercuts and body shots... Its not really a hard position to deal with...you dont need headkicks or knees to the head from there...would be nice but you can still do damage from there and ur opponent is still in a weak position

Can’t you pretty much kick/stomp/knee anything except their heads?
Also while we’re here I’ve always been confused about the spiking rule while we have legit KO’s like Jessica Andrade vs Rose

Also while we’re here I’ve always been confused about the spiking rule while we have legit KO’s like Jessica Andrade vs Rose

The spiking rule applies to nothing except a literal piledriver: holding someone completely inverted, and dropping them straight down on their head. Every other slam is fair game.

You can stomp the body too, like people throwing axe kicks to the body - Kongo landed one on Cro Cop, GSP round 1 vs Mayhem and Izzy vs Poatan tried it (can't remember if it landed) and I feel like others tried it too.
And on TUF Rountree soccer kicked Dereese (who later fought in PFL) in the body a couple times to end a TKO.

As long as your not hitting the head ...of a grounded opponent with your kicks or knees or stomps... everything else is legal...

People should start stomping on hands When your opponent is doing the AlJO..

Could also just punch the shit out of them too with uppercuts and body shots... Its not really a hard position to deal with...you dont need headkicks or knees to the head from there...would be nice but you can still do damage from there and ur opponent is still in a weak position
You can’t stomp on the ALJO. You stomp on teh WEIDMAN.

Funny thing they are both Ray Longo fighters.. something in the Longo training

You can’t stomp on the ALJO. You stomp on teh WEIDMAN.

Funny thing they are both Ray Longo fighters.. something in the Longo training

Im pretty sure u can for both...anything but the head is legal no? ...

But yes Longo teaching 4D chess on top of MMA

Im pretty sure u can for both...anything but the head is legal no? ...

But yes Longo teaching 4D chess on top of MMA
I may be wrong but there is a rule about small joints aka toes and fingers. Well maybe I’m thinking of the rule where you can’t grab and twist toes and fingers

Stomping is a foul as per the Unified Rules however it appears foot stomps are OK but not if they are a grounded oppoenent.

13. *Stomping of a grounded fighter: Stomping is considered any type of striking action with the feet where the fighter lifts their leg up bending their leg at the knee and initiating a striking action with the bottom of their foot or heel. (Note) Axe kicks are not stomps. Standing foot stops are NOT a foul. As such, this foul does not include stomping the feet of a standing fighter. *” A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. It needs to be clear to all fighters that once an opponent has become grounded, Stomps of any kind are not permitted, even to the feet.

Spiking is when you bring them down on the very top of the skull like a piledriver. Compressing the spine which is extremely dangerous. Rose although hit at a gnarly angle came down on the side of her head. Still dangerous, but not as bad as the illegal spike.

The rule is basically no using your legs (feet/shins/knees) to strike an opponent in the head when the opponent is grounded. The definition of grounded depends on the event I think, its been awhile since I've looked into this but I think the rule is still if one hand is touching the ground = grounded opponent.

Edit: Now that I posted this, I am not sure about body stomps to a grounded opponent, there are a few famous examples of axe kicks to the body of a grounded opponent (GSP vs Mayhem) but idk if there is a difference in the rules for axe kicks vs stomps

There is a rule for "small joints manipulation", basically you cant twist someones fingers, stomping the hands could fall into that, foot stomps doesnt seem that effective, or at least the ones on the receiving end seem to play it that way.

Back