Stephen Thompson talks GSP Return and if Friendship would Prevent Potential Fight

Matt Brown took Thompson down at will. Thompson is one of my favourite in the division, and I can't stand GSP, but it would be 50-45 GSP.
But that fight was before Thompson learned take down defense.

But that fight was before Thompson learned take down defense.

Okay, So Thompson has been training takedown defense since then; how long has GSP been training takedowns?

I'd love to see Thompson brutally KO GSP, but let's be realistic here...

50-45 GSP

Think he handles the GSP questions perfectly.

Don't think his management company is good at going out there and handling stuff " like that " though. Because pretty much 99% of people wanted to see him face Robbie for the title shot over Woodley. That should of been the fight made. It's crazy it wasn't. Pretty sure it would have sold better than Robbie vs Woodley, which probably will do awful numbers. Nobody gives a shit about Woodley.

So, everyone wants to see Wonderboy vs Lawler. Then why is everyone shitting on GSP for not calling out Lawler? Logic? WTF is that? GSP has known Rory for his entire ka-rear. I don't know the extent of Thompson's relationship with GSP but he's friends with both him and Rory so it is likely pretty close. Why would GSP want to come back and fight Lawler when he's obviously got to try to win? What if he does? Then Wonderboy and Rory are both phucked out of their chance to fight Lawler (again in Rory's case) for the title.

Sorry for the rant. On topic, great interview. He sounds like a decent guy, hard not to like him. I look forward to his next fight.

Funny how he calls the undisputed WW GOAT (and overall GOAT) "one of the best welterweights that' ever stepped in there" lol
It could be funny or it could be just showing respect to all the other great WW and the people who are their fans.

So, everyone wants to see Wonderboy vs Lawler. Then why is everyone shitting on GSP for not calling out Lawler? Logic? WTF is that? GSP has known Rory for his entire ka-rear. I don't know the extent of Thompson's relationship with GSP but he's friends with both him and Rory so it is likely pretty close. Why would GSP want to come back and fight Lawler when he's obviously got to try to win? What if he does? Then Wonderboy and Rory are both phucked out of their chance to fight Lawler (again in Rory's case) for the title.

Sorry for the rant. On topic, great interview. He sounds like a decent guy, hard not to like him. I look forward to his next fight.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm saying 99% of people wanted to see Robbie vs Wonderboy instead of Robbie vs Woodley and Wonderboy vs Rory. These are fights that were booked months ago and way before GSP announced his return and was even in the picture.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm saying 99% of people wanted to see Robbie vs Wonderboy instead of Robbie vs Woodley and Wonderboy vs Rory. These are fights that were booked months ago and way before GSP announced his return and was even in the picture.
I'm saying people are complaining about GSP saying he is interested in fighting Bisping; apparently he's scared and a pussy for not calling out Lawler.

Thanks for the vid. Will check it out later.

Thanks for posting this TS. And war wonderboy

If anything, Thompson's fight with Rory showed me that prime GSP would probably beat any version of Wonderboy we've seen.

Current GSP is a long ways away from prime GSP though.

Matt Brown took Thompson down at will. Thompson is one of my favourite in the division, and I can't stand GSP, but it would be 50-45 GSP.

& Thompson started working with MW wrestler bro in law Chris Weidman and shut down Johny Hendricks wrestling. Fighters can improve. GSP VS Thompson would be very competitive imho.

Okay, So Thompson has been training takedown defense since then; how long has GSP been training takedowns?

I'd love to see Thompson brutally KO GSP, but let's be realistic here...

50-45 GSP

That's assuming a fighters ability improves constantly over time when most of the time it improves rapidly, tend to plateau and then decline with age/motivation. How long has Chuck been training striking when he fought Shogun?

You look at Crocop for example, in 2002 his takedown defence was far from amazing vs Saku and Wanderlei but a year latter it had clearly improved greatly vs Herring and Nog.

If anything, Thompson's fight with Rory showed me that prime GSP would probably beat any version of Wonderboy we've seen.

Current GSP is a long ways away from prime GSP though.

How did it show that?

Back