Stephen Hawking passes away at 76

Heh, you obviously don't follow me, I'm about as happy as it's possible to be, ie I have a mindset that is fertile ground for happiness to occur. Life is great, my kids and wife are great, my work is great, my health is great, no money concerns, etc etc. I get laid at least once a week which is plenty thankyou very much.
Hey congratulations.
I bet they think you are a lot of work though.

In all seriousness, RIP, truly a great man
he has probably contributed more to humanity in his life then i will in 100 lifetimes

when he was diagnosed in his early 20s I think, the doctors gave him 2 years. it is amazing that not only he lived to 76, but has achieved so much!

It is extraordinary that he accomplished what he did considering his ailment. But if you asked a room of physicists yesterday, "Who are the five greatest physicists living based solely on their research?", you wouldn't get a single mention of Hawking. What he did with his disease and the way he popularized science is his legacy. All of this isn't to say his research wasn't important, Hawking Radiation acted as an impulse for all sorts of different research. But someone like 't Hooft's (my choice for greatest living scientist), purely scientific accomplishments dwarf Hawking's.

Yeah, i'd go with Weinberg or Witten though. Although Witten's stuff is so crazy, no one knows if he's correct.

This brilliant person is a loss to humanity.

Stephen Hawking: Tributes pour in for 'inspirational' physicist
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43398187

I read all his books. I am truly inspired by this man. He got a whole generation of thinkers going. RIP Mr. Hawking.

He refused knighthood because the state didn't put enough money into funding science. Without science, we wont have much of a future.

For every scientist that dies, 1000 religious idiots pop up.

Copy-paste of another post I read about this that I found hilarious:

The science community has lost their mascot and stage prop. The whole talking in crazy, in-depth scientific terms using only his eyes was the biggest crock of shit hoax since the Holocaust.

giphy.gif

The science community has lost their mascot and stage prop. The whole talking in crazy, in-depth scientific terms using only his eyes was the biggest crock of shit hoax since the Holocaust.
This is the kind of person who routinely uses technology but is such a dolt, and is so oblivious to how any of it works, that he might as well call a cell phone magic.

I remember reading Brief History of Time and it having a similar effect as Carl Sagan's Cosmos, did. I consider this a great loss for the world.

I do wonder if, in view of his condition, he found death to be a mercy, or if he was sufficiently comfortable throughout the latter part of his days.

what is this garbage?

I remember reading Brief History of Time and it having a similar effect as Carl Sagan's Cosmos, did. I consider this a great loss for the world.

I do wonder if, in view of his condition, he found death to be a mercy, or if he was sufficiently comfortable throughout the latter part of his days.

Great question my man. I am sure he got tired at the end. But he left us with some great scientific concepts and Hawking radiation equations. He will be missed.

This is the kind of person who routinely uses technology but is such a dolt, and is so oblivious to how any of it works, that he might as well call a cell phone magic.

I was Tripping out on all the insta people making fun of him....

Sad day for humanity... great man

incredible how long he has lived with ALS. Most people die within 5 years.

He contributed more to human knowledge from the confines of his wheelchair than the sum total of everyone on this forum. Humbling.

Good post and R.I.P. Stephen Hawking 1942-2018. His mind soared through the cosmos.

I was Tripping out on all the insta people making fun of him....

Sad day for humanity... great man
It really is pretty shitty. We're lucky to have had him. He's a guy who made his way through life almost solely by the force of his intellect.

Back