Starting in September - advice

Bacons

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong places. So I'm starting Muay Thai in September when I go to University, I can't start before then due to certain reasons, however I would like to know if there are any excercises or whether there's anything I can do that will be beneficial and help me when I start. For example working on flexibility, strength, fitness?
I would appreciate any advice that would help me to have a little boost when I first start. Thanks!

there's nothing you can do to help you in muay thai other than going to a muay thai gym and getting some shin to shin action.

If you want to be conditioned before you actually start doing it I suggest you focus on cardio. Running is a big part of MT training. Welcome to the community, friend!

If you want to be conditioned before you actually start doing it I suggest you focus on cardio. Running is a big part of MT training. Welcome to the community, friend!

that's true but all that cardio will not help when you're getting punched in the head for the first time. this myth of "getting in shape" to do martial arts is stupid. if you wanna get ready for muay thai, do muay thai.

down the road when you've learned some skills then having better cardio than the other skilled guys will make a difference but for someone starting out, it's just a matter of stepping into the gym and putting in the work.

that's true but all that cardio will not help when you're getting punched in the head for the first time. this myth of "getting in shape" to do martial arts is stupid. if you wanna get ready for muay thai, do muay thai.

down the road when you've learned some skills then having better cardio than the other skilled guys will make a difference but for someone starting out, it's just a matter of stepping into the gym and putting in the work.

You're partly right but also if he can't train Muay Thai until September he might as well do some cardio in the meantime rather than nothing at all.

There is ofcourse a ton of stuff you can do to get prepared..

"there's nothing you can do to help you in muay thai other than going to a muay thai gym and getting some shin to shin action."

lol?

They are all obvious things though:

Cardio/Roadwork
Shadowboxing
Shin-conditioning(sandbag is best for this IMO)
Daily situps, pushups, squats

I dunno man. Most new people are dead after like 15 minutes of training. If you can come in already in good shape training is going to be way more efficient.

Silly advice. He's stated that he CAN'T train until September, so of course some cardio training will be beneficial compared to none.

I dunno man. Most new people are dead after like 15 minutes of training. If you can come in already in good shape training is going to be way more efficient.

if you come in "in good shape" without having never actually trained you will be dead after 15 minutes regardless.

I'm kind of being an ass because I found it awkward that he's planning to start 6 months in advance. it sounds to me like he's "getting in shape" to do muay thai which means the dude will never train muay thai.

hope I'm wrong @Bacons I'm just trying to push you into actually doing it. training muay thai is the funniest thing you can do with your life IMO. obviously getting in somewhat of a "good shape" will help - it will make you last a few minutes longer than the other new guys that are in "bad shape";

I've been training for a few years and I've seen countless new guys come and go. fat, skinny, strong, weak, big, small, old or young, they're all dead after 15 minutes of hard training. the best you can do when you're starting out is listen to your coach, pace yourself and not try to smash the pads on your first day. relax.

I would focus mostly on cardio (low intensity long distance runs, sprints, jump rope) and flexibility

You can do body weight workouts (squats, pullups, pushups, abdominals etc) and some core workout or even weighted workouts but remember you're not trying to become a powelifter or a bodybuilder, just trying to improve your overall fitness level.

if you come in "in good shape" without having never actually trained you will be dead after 15 minutes regardless.

I'm kind of being an ass because I found it awkward that he's planning to start 6 months in advance. it sounds to me like he's "getting in shape" to do muay thai which means the dude will never train muay thai.

hope I'm wrong @Bacons I'm just trying to push you into actually doing it. training muay thai is the funniest thing you can do with your life IMO. obviously getting in somewhat of a "good shape" will help - it will make you last a few minutes longer than the other new guys that are in "bad shape";

I've been training for a few years and I've seen countless new guys come and go. fat, skinny, strong, weak, big, small, old or young, they're all dead after 15 minutes of hard training. the best you can do when you're starting out is listen to your coach, pace yourself and not try to smash the pads on your first day. relax.
If he has been working out and improving his cardio every day or a couple times a week for 6 months his body will be more ready than if he hasn't...

Guys how do I make my kicks harder?

"Start doing deadlifts and squats"

Those are the kind of responses that bother me.

I agree, there is no substitute for actual training. Physical condition does matter tho especially when starting out.

Guys how do I make my kicks harder?

"Start doing deadlifts and squats"

Those are the kind of responses that bother me.

I agree, there is no substitute for actual training. Physical condition does matter tho especially when starting out.

yeah that's what I'm referring to.

I disagree that "physical condition matters especially when starting out" though. IMO what especially matters when starting out is leaving your ego at the door, relaxing and not trying to impress people with your power.

if you're training hard, you will lose weight and develop good conditioning eventually. physical condition will matter the most IMO when you need an edge against someone of a similar skill level.

yeah that's what I'm referring to.

I disagree that "physical condition matters especially when starting out" though. IMO what especially matters when starting out is leaving your ego at the door, relaxing and not trying to impress people with your power.

if you're training hard, you will lose weight and develop good conditioning eventually. physical condition will matter the most IMO when you need an edge against someone of a similar skill level.
Lol seriously? A guy with a high fitness level will be able to get into training easier than couch potato.

With that being said, i've seen penthathlon trainers gas quick even after weeks of training muay thai, but they are still in a better condition to train than most people. Their recovery time after a training session will be much shorter than most peoples. Them gassing is mostly due to not being relaxed or having bad technique.

Lol seriously? A guy with a high fitness level will be able to get into training easier than couch potato.

With that being said, i've seen penthathlon trainers gas quick even after weeks of training muay thai, but they are still in a better condition to train than most people. Their recovery time after a training session will be much shorter than most peoples. Them gassing is mostly due to not being relaxed or having bad technique.

you're agreeing with my general point only adding the obvious "conditioned athlete will do better than someone in bad shape".

what I'm saying is that this is not decisive. when I started out I was in great shape but some chubby brawler kid who's willing to go all out in training did much better than me.

you're agreeing with my general point only adding the obvious "conditioned athlete will do better than someone in bad shape".

what I'm saying is that this is not decisive. when I started out I was in great shape but some chubby brawler kid who's willing to go all out in training did much better than me.
I don't think the question is who will be better, but rather how he can be optimally prepared. And the answer has been said, by improving his cardio

cardio and flexibility......it takes time to increase flexibility so starting on that would be beneficial

Back