Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New info on the Discovery Klingons

[The] Klingon ‘sarcophagus ship’ — an enormous vessel (three times the size of its Federation counterparts — [belongs] to a 25th Klingon house that we hadn’t previously heard of.

[…]

Its stepped control deck [is] devoid of the usual consoles, because these Klingons intervace with their computers directly via ornate silver masks.

The Sarcaphagus ship, landed on a planet. (CBS)
Sullivan explains where this huge ship fits into the story:

It’s a 200-year-old ship. This is a group of Klingons who’ve gone back to a puritan way of life. They look very different: they wear armor that’s 200 years old and they don’t have any hair.

Their commander [T’Kuvma, played by Chris Obi] runs his Klingon house – the house of T’Kuvma – by the rules of Kahless, the Klingon messiah. And he calls himself the second coming of the Klingon messiah.

In the past, Klingons have not really cared about their dead – they’re not like marines. But these Klingons are. The outside of the ship is covered in thousands of coffins. Some are 300 years old, some are just two days old.

Downstairs is the death room, where they prepare their dead; then the coffins get raised up and put on the outside.
In the preview trailers for Star Trek: Discovery, we’ve seen that same ancient ritual performed by members of the House of T’Kuvma; screaming to the heavens over a fallen comrade.

A deceased warrior, ready for burial. (CBS)

Warriors of the House of T’Kuvma cry out to the afterlife. (CBS)
However, unlike the warriors of the Next Generation era, their coffin raises through the ceremonial chamber to be mounted on the outside of the sarcophagus ship.

The casket raises from its position. (CBS)

Up, up, and away. (CBS)
That certainly clears up some of the confusion that’s come from those early snippets of life aboard the Klingon sarcophagus ship; the floating casket seems to have no relation to the Torchbearer armor-wearing warrior we see fighting Burnham – and the editing of such video clips was simple misdirection.

…we think.

WTF is this BS? A 25th house?! Impossible. There are only 24 houses. Have they creators even HEARD of Klingons?

How can you control a ship without a CONTROL console? Lol. The science of this show is fucked.

Do they creators even realize the amount of energy that would be needed to run a ship that size? Lolololol. I guess this is Star Trek: Lack of Physics.

It is impossible for a Klingon to be hairless.

Will not watch.

Damn. I used to find Kira so hot. But I guess 20 years is 20 years.

Would still smash.

Her old granny hip bones into dust

They should have done a DS9 reunion miniseries years ago. Now they're too fucking old.

I think everyone should give it a fair chance and subscribe for a month to give it a shot. There have been so many doomsaysers claiming it will be horrible and will never watch, which is the same thing that has happened with every other trek series. Then they watch a few episodes and find out it's actually pretty good. Just hope everyone gives it a fair shake.

I'm not subscribing to anything more. I have cable and I have Netflix.. I'm not going to have CBS via cable and then hurdle another paywall for more CBS.

The way it's being carried around as a 'diverse Star Trek' is like saying a 'dark black' or 'wet water'. It's Star Trek, diversity goes without saying. They've been hitting everyone over the head with the "diversity" too much for my liking. Marketing the "X character" instead of just the "character" seems like poor taste to me. The fringe fans or casuals may be more likely to avoid the show when they think it's going to be an "X Star Trek" instead of "Star Trek", but hey, maybe it'll get more of whatever CBS wants to tune in, what do I know?

I'm watching the pilot, I'll catch the rest when it inevitably shows up on Netflix or cable. I imagine the first season will be it's roughest, as it tends to be with Star Trek, and I honestly hope it does well, but I'd like it lay off the diversity/pandering SJW circle jerk headsmash thing it has going on to get people to watch.

I'm not saying it will be horrible, just that it aint right for me.
I can respect that. If you do end up seeing it, it would be good to get your perspective on it afterwards.

I'm not subscribing to anything more. I have cable and I have Netflix.. I'm not going to have CBS via cable and then hurdle another paywall for more CBS.

The way it's being carried around as a 'diverse Star Trek' is like saying a 'dark black' or 'wet water'. It's Star Trek, diversity goes without saying. They've been hitting everyone over the head with the "diversity" too much for my liking. Marketing the "X character" instead of just the "character" seems like poor taste to me. The fringe fans or casuals may be more likely to avoid the show when they think it's going to be an "X Star Trek" instead of "Star Trek", but hey, maybe it'll get more of whatever CBS wants to tune in, what do I know?

I'm watching the pilot, I'll catch the rest when it inevitably shows up on Netflix or cable. I imagine the first season will be it's roughest, as it tends to be with Star Trek, and I honestly hope it does well, but I'd like it lay off the diversity/pandering SJW circle jerk headsmash thing it has going on to get people to watch.
Yeah i think the biggest hurdle for the show, will be all access. I think the fact, that Netflix has paid for the entire productions costs for international rights, will mean we will get a few seasons, even if all access fails. I wasn't thrilled to sign up for all access, and I was even tempted just to download it or use a UK netflix account, but I feel that if I want to see new trek, then I need to support it.

This is my feeling as well. I am signing up for Netflix just for this.

Saw Orville Episode 2 btw and enjoyed it. Lots of TNG vibes. MacFarlane is actually the biggest issue. He just is not a very good actor.

She wouldn't look so bad if she lost the bulldyke haircut.
bXbLVYC.png

Early spoiler free review/first impressions of first 3 episodes

I've lost count of the number of times my fellow nerds have rolled our eyes at the ongoing delay and behind-the-scenes drama of Star Trek Discovery. The show's launch date slipped by 9 months; showrunner Bryan Fuller departed under unusual circumstances; CBS decided to screen it only on its $6-a-month All Access streaming service, greatly limiting the potential audience.

I can't speak to whether consumers will flock to All Access for this one show. But having seen the first three episodes, I can attest to the quality of the product in question.

This is smart, serious, and utterly immersive science fiction TV of a kind that I haven't seen since the Battlestar Galactica reboot of the 2000s. And you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it.

I have to be careful what I say about the first three episodes; there are strictly timed embargoes on each that bind reviewers from discussing any specifics of the episodes until after they've aired. I get the need for secrecy to preserve the "wow" factor, but at a minimum the audience needs to understand going in that we're on a very twisty journey here: you can't really judge the show based on the first episode (which is the only one screening on CBS proper this Sunday night; All Access will add episode 2.)

Suffice to say that this is thinking person's science fiction — a plot that's going places on a slow burn, that won't insult your intelligence and will take its time to settle into shape. It looks beautiful and boldly goes where no previous Star Trek has gone before.

As we already knew, Discovery tells a fully episodic story about a single character (First Officer Michael Burnham) and rations out the introduction of its secondary characters.

This is a Star Trek quietly confident in itself, flexing muscles it has gained from the pantheon of science fiction movies. I caught references to Contact, to Alien, even to Star Wars. There were moments when I caught an Indiana Jones vibe, a welcome Game of Thrones-esque feeling, and a dash of Shawshank Redemption mixed in for good measure.

If there's a flaw, it's that Discovery is a very serious show. There are precious few moments of comedy relief. But after all those forced jokes in the rebooted Star Trek movie series, perhaps it's time the franchise boldly went in a more dramatic direction.

Plus the tone is appropriate for the lead character; Burnham is as intense as her Vulcan upbringing. Sonequa Martin-Green — you probably know her best from Walking Dead — spins this trait into one of the most compelling TV protagonists of the year. Ambitious, alive to the wonders and the dangers of the universe, yet still young and stubborn: she's almost a young Kirk.

Meet Michael Burnham
https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F601192%2F25d05062-672a-485f-b159-95067e53d80b.png

No doubt part of her kinetic screen energy is due to the fact that Martin-Green is a recent convert to the Trek universe herself, and is keen to work hard and make a good impression. Despite being concerned at the extent of the show's history — "the canon's so massive" — the actor told me she has absorbed the details of this most complex fandom with a vengeance.

"I had four months after being hired and before shooting began," Martin-Green says. "So I dove in, trying to have an osmotic experience" — starting with the original 1966-68 series.

Discovery is set a decade before the adventures of Kirk and Spock. Michael Burnham was raised by Sarek, Spock's father, after her parents died in the vicinity of a Vulcan outpost.

"There has been a thorough indoctrination of Vulcan philosophies and behavior," says Martin-Green of her character's upbringing — though she's also talking about her own immersion in the lifestyle of this most fascinating of species. "We respect canon," she is quick to add, lest any fan fear otherwise.

Not Utopia Yet
One part of the late creator Gene Roddenberry's canon that Star Trek writers have chafed against for decades: his idea that starship crews in the 23rd century will not have any arguments at all, because humanity will have outgrown all internal disputes.

It's not a spoiler to say that Discovery respectfully rejects Roddenberry's notion — much like Deep Space 9, the most critically acclaimed Trek series so far.

"We've found a really fragile space to operate in," Martin-Green says. "You’re seeing the inner workings of utopia, the struggle that leads to it. There will always be interpersonal conflict. You’re seeing the issues that plagued our society dealt with, but you’re also seeing the issues that will always stand."

One thing you'll also see in the show — again, not a spoiler — is Michael Burnham standing in a most military fashion. Martin-Green says this is largely a function of the shiny new blue and gold two-piece Starfleet uniform she squeezed into. "It is a little tight," she laughs.

"But it's helpful — it certainly makes you stand up straight."

http://mashable.com/2017/09/23/star-trek-discovery-michael-burnham/#okV72DfzViqu

Most reviews I have read, have been overwhelmingly positive. They keep saying it is by far the best premiere of any trek series, and Sonequa Martin-Green stands out as the series lead. Remember she is a big reason Bryan Fuller was fired, because he fought to have her as the lead, and forced CBS to delay production until she could leave her Walking Dead contract.

This is some pretty cool marketing

DKcv4O5U8AMTY5-.jpg

They built a LED lighting rig designed to look like discovery, and it is being flow over NYC by a black hawk helicopter

Last edited:
Just came here to post exactly this. Whoever came up with that needs an award.

I will only be able to view tomorrow night. That is 36 hours from now.

Discovery main title sequence. I like it it, you know the series is packed with high level special effects, so it kinda nice seeing something different from the ship in space. I really like the theme, it pays homage to other trek series, but also has a epic game of thrones type feel.

Im confused. I thought this aired Saturday for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back